1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopping Sony CS70 VCR Interferance?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by macta, Oct 10, 2004.

1. macta

macta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had to re-arrange my components on the shelves on my KV32CS70 sony TV, and had to put my Sony VCR on the top shelf.

I now notice that when the VCR plays I get squiggles in the middle of the picture. If I gently slide the VCR out of the shelf the squiggles go away. If I move the VCR to the extreme right the squiggles change to some small speckels.

I first suspected my Scart cable but after threading it around wider - and with moving the VCR to one side getting the same interference I think the trouble is something from the TV above?

Does this sound right? And is there an easy way to fix it? Unfortuntely the shelves on this unit aren't spaced apart very well and so I need the extra width on the bottom to have a DVD and Freeview box.

I was wondering if finding a chunk of metal might work - maybe an old computer case of something - but wondered if anyone had any advice for me.

Its a bit crap that the TV isn't shielded properly.

Tim

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll probably find that most TVs (if not all) are not completely sheilded from electromagnetic interfearance, because of the weight and cost that would add.

From what I can tell, normally the makers of the source of the interferance do the sheilding and probably consider only normal equipment usage patterns when they decide where the sheilding should go.

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Does this happen whenever the VCR is connected, regardless of what channel you are looking at?

4. macta

macta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think its not unusual to put your VCR on the top shelf of the TV cabinet (and its a sony vcr 730, and a sony stand).

With regards to the channel question - I don't understand - this is on Video playback through SCART (so whatever channel I am on, when I press play it switches to viewing the tape).

To re-iterate, when the recording is playing, if the vcr is in the middle of the shelf - I get little squiggles on the left and right of the television about 2 inches long. If I move the VCR to the right - the squiggles turn into snow. If I pull the VCR (gently) out from the shelf and hold it in my hands (with the trailing edge still resting on the shelf) the picture is fine.

This leads me to suspect that there is interference from the TV (a differnt scart cable shows the same behavior, and I've tried positioning the cable in different places too)

I am wondering if a simple fix is to just put some metal over top of the VCR? (Maybe an old piece of computer casing? but then I don't know how thick i need. A 1cm book didnt seem to help).

Any ideas anyone?

Tim

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This sounds very strange indeed. I have never heard of domestic video equipment being so electrically 'unshielded' that it causes interference to other equipment - these things are very tightly controlled. Nonetheless you have your problem. Although you've tried another scart lead I'm wondering if the problem could be a missing 'earth' connection at either end of the scart lead where it connects to the equipment NOT the lead itself (ie, at the tv end or the vcr end) would it be possible for you to place the vcr in the position where it causes interference and then waggle the scart connector at each end when the interference is present? I'm wondering if maybe there is a crack/bad connection where the scart pins on the connector meet the main pcb (either in the tv or vcr) and waggling the scart connector may reduce/increase the interference giving a big clue. Don't be afraid to give it a good handful when you're 'waggling' - not so much as to break anything but enough to see if you have an intermittant connection. The only other suggestion I can think of is to try and decide is it the vcr or tv - would you be able to try operating the vcr in close vicinity of another tv ? regards, yt.

6. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're quite right. I misread your original message and thought you were placing the VCR on a shelf on top of the TV, rather than on the top shelf of the TV stand. Sorry!

7. macta

macta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - I tried waggling as suggested, and didn't notice anything different - the 2-3" vrtical squiggles are still there and they stay the same.

I then tried taking the side off my desktop computer and putting it over top of the vcr - and guess what - when I positioned the metal in the right place - the squiggles go away. As its a big piece of metal - its hard to say where abouts I have to position it - it looks to be near the back - but I don't have to cover the entire VCR.

Could it still be a badly shielded scart socket? I have tried a few that I havent had problems with before - but that doen't completely eliminate the socket. However I don't think my sheet of metal is actually covering the socket, more the 2/3 of the body of the VCR.

What is annoying is that the VCR is only a few months old (sony xx730) and the tv is only 2 weeks old.

I still have to the old telly lying around so I will try the suggestion of putting the old tv on the vcr to see if if createst the same problem.

This is annoying and I hate wasting time messing around with this stuff. grrr

Tim