Stopping Smoking Today!

• Thread starter Deleted member 540360
  • Start date

Deleted member 540360

Reaction score
After 50 years of tobacco and 40 of the exotic herb I'm finally stopping the lot today.

I got a vape, which is a big help. Don't know what if any problems that can cause but never mind for now - I plan to move on to zero nicotine but the guy in the vape shop says stay on it for at least a month.

It's early (for me) and I have quite a few hours to go to get through the first day. I think some sweets will help and I may buy some nice booze so I can have a sip of that. I don't normally drink but if it helps I will.

I honestly feel OK about it. But I was suffering with my breathing and heart rate so no matter if I would really like to smoke I know I am at the stage where it could mean early death if I continue. So no tobacco ever again is a certainty because it has to be. As for the other I will put whatever I have to one side for now and probably will never touch it. I am 'allowed' it but smoking burning vegetation isnt good for me so it would have to be used in another way, which doesn't appeal to me anyway, other than perhaps brewed as tea.

I think I may buy a bike as I could do with more exercise and getting out of the house but for now I'm doing press-ups when I get up and tidying the back yard. Having cut down smoking over the last week or two I can't believe the difference it has made to my ability to work for a length of time without getting breathless. I do not want to go back to feeling exhausted after 10 minutes mild lifting so bearing that in mind should be enough to keep me on track.

Good luck.
I gave up 10 years ago at roughly this time if year as well.

Same as you I smoked fags and a weed and didnt think I could do it. The wife and I got Champix from the doctor and it worked for both !!

We saved so much money and treated our selves to our first holiday in 6 years.

Have not heard of Champix but my parner had Zyban, which does the job but has had bad side effects on some.

Champix does have its side effects and it was not an easy 3 months but it did work despite me secretly not wanting it to.

I would love the herb to be legal here as it is in parts of the US. You dont need to smoke it to enjoy it over there. There are edibles and vape version and I hear beer companies are experimenting with it.

If edibles and vape format were here I may have tried. But home made beer and edibles are easy enough to make, just that I'm not into them. Without smoking it takes away a lot of the pleasure and TBH I need to stop being so stoned anyway just so I can get things done.

If edibles and vape format were here I may have tried. But home made beer and edibles are easy enough to make, just that I'm not into them. Without smoking it takes away a lot of the pleasure and TBH I need to stop being so stoned anyway just so I can get things done.
are you still on the wagon ??

Almost.

Managed 43 hours with no tobacco or weed. I just made a smoke which I'll make last all day. Just a couple of puffs eased the belly pain I had immeditely - I suffer from IBS and have been feeling very rough.

After going so long without I do feel bad about it but on the other hand going nearly 2 days without isn't a small achievement for me. So very mild and intermittent use may be best for a while. The idea is to make me feel physically better - and my appetite isn't great either - so it may actually not be a good idea to stop completely with the weed right now.

I did say that edibles were a possibility but I can't be bothered. I do do better with encouragement so thanks for asking - if someone else is keeping an eye on me it will help.

Almost.

Managed 43 hours with no tobacco or weed. I just made a smoke which I'll make last all day. Just a couple of puffs eased the belly pain I had immeditely - I suffer from IBS and have been feeling very rough.

After going so long without I do feel bad about it but on the other hand going nearly 2 days without isn't a small achievement for me. So very mild and intermittent use may be best for a while. The idea is to make me feel physically better - and my appetite isn't great either - so it may actually not be a good idea to stop completely with the weed right now.

I did say that edibles were a possibility but I can't be bothered. I do do better with encouragement so thanks for asking - if someone else is keeping an eye on me it will help.
Its one of the hardest things I ever did and that was with the aid of Champix.

Its still a choice and it WILL work. Theres also a dedicated stop smoking thread somewhere on this forum where members share their experiences.

Thanks - I will check that thread out.

I feel quite good today - no IBS. So no excuse to smoke weed other than that I would like to.

Have hardly had any tobacco for a week or so, it's the weed smoking that's the issue now.

Edit: One benefit is that I now have a tongue which has almost completely returned to being pink!

Last edited:
Thanks - I will check that thread out.

I feel quite good today - no IBS. So no excuse to smoke weed other than that I would like to.

Have hardly had any tobacco for a week or so, it's the weed smoking that's the issue now.

Edit: One benefit is that I now have a tongue which has almost completely returned to being pink!
Keep it up your doing well.
I have crohns and I finally stopped smoking after 25 years. Was the best thing I ever did. Really helped with my flare ups. I’ll never go back to smoking now.

Thanks again for the input.

Sorry about the Chrones.

I will never smoke tobacco again. Yesterday I had one tiny smoke of weak weed then later on had some better weed but around 4-5 puffs only.

Feel good this morning except after vaping I got a few palpitations. There is nicotine present so I don't know if it's that or the sheer act of smoking.

OP, read this book and you may find its the best thing you've ever done.

www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Only-Smoking-Permanently-ebook/dp/B0078VYGB8

It certainly worked for me. I suggest you heavily puff away on fags whilst reading the book...in fact the author encourages it LOL! But in all seriousness, once you understand WHY you smoke then it makes quitting a hell of a lot easier. In a nutshell, the book drums into you that smoking is mainly a psychological addiction and once you get over that, the physical withdrawal symptoms are easy to cope with (they are temporary anyway).

The only major 'disadvantage' i found after quitting - i quit around 12 years ago -was that you start you put on weight easily as nicotine acts as an appetite surpressor. But going to the gym regularly and eating sensibly fixes that. Oh and your sense of smell returns. Good luck! :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

It certainly worked for me. I suggest you heavily puff away on fags whilst reading the book...in fact the author encourages it LOL! But in all seriousness, once you understand WHY you smoke then it makes quitting a hell of a lot easier. In a nutshell, the book drums into you that smoking is mainly a psychological addiction and once you get over that, the physical withdrawal symptoms are easy to cope with (they are temporary anyway).

The only major 'disadvantage' i found after quitting - i quit around 12 years ago -was that you start you put on weight easily as nicotine acts as an appetite surpressor. But going to the gym regularly and eating sensibly fixes that. Oh and your sense of smell returns. Good luck! :)
Haven't read the book but can vouch for the psychology. Once you've done battle with the craving it's a known quantity - neither constant nor increasing in intensity. It comes and goes and riding out just one wave is as bad as it ever gets.👍

Thank you for the link.

Thanks!

No tobacco for acouple of weeks, just weed - 1-2 small ones per day.

No gym but I'm on the NHS 'Gym Free' page: Gym-free workouts. I did the last listed exercise day before yesterday and needed yesterday to recover!

Also eating breakfast, which is new to me! A banana and glass of pineapple juice. Still getting nicotine due to the vape.

Not smoking weed until been up 3 hours and had breakfast and try not to have any before bedtime. It's quite a change to not sit there getting stoned - I can only manage a few puffs at a time anyway as pure weed is hard to smoke a lot of in one go.

I think I will stop eventually.

Haven't read the book but can vouch for the psychology. Once you've done battle with the craving it's a known quantity - neither constant nor increasing in intensity. It comes and goes and riding out just one wave is as bad as it ever gets.👍

I am lucky because giving up tobacco wasn't hard for me. That may be because I was smoking American Spirit natural tobacco - it's not got anything added to it so that may have been a factor.

Weed, however, not so easy to do - more addictive in my case.

I am lucky because giving up tobacco wasn't hard for me. That may be because I was smoking American Spirit natural tobacco - it's not got anything added to it so that may have been a factor.

I gave weed up long before tobacco. Completely different ball game as you say...alcohol can help at first (sleeping) but needs to be kept in check.

was in my case also but champix sorted it.
Few beers to get me off to sleep but after that - all good.

I gave up smoking 25 yrs ago when I had a heart attack…I've never had a ciggy since.
I started chewing nicotine gum and I'm still on it 25 yrs later.
My GP said she would rather see me chew the gum than ever go back to smoking.
It's the tars and toxins from the cigarettes that clocked my arteries not the nicotine.

It's the tars and toxins from the cigarettes that clocked my arteries not the nicotine.

That's why I'm happy to vape for as long as necessary. I intend to cut the nicotine down to zero over time, but there seems to be no need to rush it.

Not sure how to do the same for weed without smoking something else with it but I think that as I get more exercise and become fitter the small amount of weed I am using won't be much of an issue - but that's not to say I don't intend to stop - I don't think I would miss its effects, it's more of a psychological thing I think.

I have an ambition to be a 'fit old man' and see no reason why I shouldn't be.

Any recommendation on a vape? I have tried few before, even £50 one, but I find they all leak, least the ones I have used.

Any recommendation on a vape? I have tried few before, even £50 one, but I find they all leak, least the ones I have used.

I got the cheapest in the vape shop for £20 which was the Vaporesso.

I don't travel with it much so haven't had too much of a problem with leakage, but I do find myself having to give it a small wipe now and then - if it's tipped over it may leak a bit. But any leakage is mostly confined to the top and inside. I'm happy with it for what I paid.

I found a couple of Allen Carr's older PDFs - the illustrated short method and a more detailed manual

PENGUIN BOOKS ALLEN CARR'S EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING WHAT THE MEDIA SAY ABOUT THE ALLEN CARR METHOD

Have been looking up how to cut the weed out. I started smoking it because I wanted to smoke it, which might seem odd but that's exactly it - I sought it out and don't really know why I had the urge to do so. Could have been the bad influence of all those hippy comix I was reading at the time.

Seems that both vaping and weed can mess with your heart rate so along with the intended reduction in nicotine with the vape I'll try to either smoke weed every other day or smoke half the amount per day. Half a gram or so a day is already quite a low dose but I could definitely do better.

Finally! Stopped the weed now for good.

I made a vow out loud to never smoke again. I wouldn't have done so if I didn't mean it because that would have risked my integrity - I never make a promise that I don't mean, even to myself.

Yesterday was miserable but I knew that that was the turning point - today I feel good. Exercising daily has helped.

I am sharing the nice weed I have - some left in the draw next to me which will go later. And some substandard weed which I thought I might hold onto just in case - but I won't.

This being the 4th day of no weed whatsoever I see no probability of a relapse.

I stopped after heart attack nearly 17 years ago. I was in hospital 52 days and had operation...... Never smoked since... No other help either, I just stopped.

I did miss it for the first year or so... But not now, no way.

If I was given a second chance and asked if I would like to smoke again? Then yes I would because I enjoyed it..... But I would not smoke again given the $hit I have had to go through since, 2 more is operations just to stay in this dimension.

The cost of cigarettes now is just crazy.....

Never ever tried drugs, not counting cigarettes. Few people in my youth died as a direct result of other drugs, horrible.

Ice

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom