Answered Stop thieves sealing my receiver!

sirsimon501

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Need a little advice. Recently we have had a lot of break-ins around my local area and I want to secure my AV receiver. My Projector has a kensington lock which is great, however my receiver does not; Just small groves for air circulation. Does anybody have any suggestions? The receiver is in a dedicated room so I'm free to do want I want.

Simon

mantrap1.png
Any good?

Hi all

Need a little advice. Recently we have had a lot of break-ins around my local area and I want to secure my AV receiver. My Projector has a kensington lock which is great, however my receiver does not; Just small groves for air circulation. Does anybody have any suggestions? The receiver is in a dedicated room so I'm free to do want I want.

Simon

If your kit is in a dedicated room, would it not be possible to protect the room itself as opposed to individual kit items.
Stronger internal door, mini roller shutters on the windows,,,, food for thought mate.

If your kit is in a dedicated room, would it not be possible to protect the room itself as opposed to individual kit items.
Stronger internal door, mini roller shutters on the windows,,,, food for thought mate.

Thank buddy. The rooms like a summerhouse attached to the house so that wouldn't be an option. But keep them coming! I did get an an desk mount cable lock but I need more surface area as it was to easy to rip off.

I know you can buy steel enclosures for the type of thing you need. I used to work in a lot of schools and they always had their DVD players etc locked up in this fashion.

I know you can buy steel enclosures for the type of thing you need. I used to work in a lot of schools and they always had their DVD players etc locked up in this fashion.
Yea, see ones for projectors but noting I could use for a receiver.

Yea, see ones for projectors but noting I could use for a receiver.

Deffo 100% seen ones for amp sized equipment mate. They have contained DVD and old VHS players. I'll have a dig about when I get a chance.

s-l1600.jpg

Cool, just seen these Kensington desktops locks. Not sure I trust the adhesive as I feel a good pull on the cable may pull off the caps as some other people have said on amazon .

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Problem with wire cable tethers is they can easily be cut.

Securing them may be counter productive. If they are stolen then your insurance will cover it. If, on the other hand the low lifes damage your equipment by trying to remove it then your insurance company may play hardball. Make sure your home is secure, that I'm afraid is your best line of defence.

Stopping the buggers gaining access in the first place is the best solution.

Locking stuff down will only end up with it being broken, so actually gaining nothing compared to having it stolen. Decent locks on all doors, a good security system and maybe some of those WiFi cameras would be good.

s-l1600.jpg

Cool, just seen these Kensington desktops locks. Not sure I trust the adhesive as I feel a good pull on the cable may pull off the caps as some other people have said on amazon .

We used these on monitors and PCs at work.

If they are applied correctly (CLEAN the area you're going to stick it to with proper isoprol(?) cleaning fluid, dry, stick the plastic lump on, push hard for a while) they are stupidly sticky.

I have not been able to remove one, tried with a huge screwdriver (snapped a bit of the round plastic thing off), knife (just gets that gluey you can't "saw"), pulling the cable (snapped the corner off the monitor case, and in another case just bent the reinforced Dell PC case).

After a while with a screwdriver and a hammer I did get the plastic bit off, but it just covers a metal securing lump, so gave up.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
What is your AV kit in? I'm inclined to suspect if someone breaks in if they can't take it they may just vandalise it but could get hold of a secure cabinet (server one), maybe adding speaker cloth to cover it.

If they want it, they'll get it. If you make it hard to get just hope you're not in when they break in as you're the next weakest link in taking anything. [emoji20]

Other than have the items out of view and proper external doors. Any internal device will general by ineffective. Cables and lock boxs can be opened with force out of view. Once inside thieves feel more confidant and will cause damage which often costs more to fix than the valuables they steel

That's what I said above. Securing something will only result in it getting damaged.

I suppose you have to ask yourself, would you rather have it wrecked or stolen?

I suppose you have to ask yourself, would you rather have it wrecked or stolen?

Wrecked.

Why would I be happier to have the person who stole it benefit or profit from its theft?

Trained attack gerbils are the answer :)

Wrecked.

Why would I be happier to have the person who stole it benefit or profit from its theft?

I agree with that point, but it's what else they wreck when trying to remove whatever you have secured? If they can't take what they want do they then start smashing up the house? I'm always in the camp of doing everything to keep them out first.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom