Stop Press....End of John Lewis Price match...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Yellowduck, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Yellowduck

Yellowduck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shock horror!!!!!

I have just been to JL and ordered my TX32LXD70....and although they agreed to honour the price match that was confirmed to me at lunchtime, with Sound and Vision in Bolton (some 300 miles away saving £209) the manager informed me that JL had changed their policy wef 10am this morning. Any price match must now be with a physical store WITHIN 10 miles of the JL store that is approached to do the price match. They are updating their website shortly.........

Could this be the end of the 'free' 5 year warranty.....most web outlets are far lower than JL, so I cannot see many paying the non price matched JL price just to get a free 5 year warranty......

2. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow this is some news as this must affect their whole product range not just TV.
    Whilst they do offer 5 yr waranty on TV their "list price" is ludicrously high. Such a policy would alienate me from JL purchases not just of TV but other goods - I probably spend at least £1K per annum with them and some years a lot more.

One wonders where ones rights are here? So JL in Lancs choose to sell to Dave ManUtd at a lower price than JL Peterborogh offer Jim NorCity just because Dave has a ED or Sound and Vision down the road and Jim doesn't. Sounds like discrimination to me! Any solicitors on this thread??

3. JulesH

JulesH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info...

Well that makes my decision easier, Costco all the way (just wish it was not such a lottery as to what they have in stock).

4. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

This must be "the effectiveness" of this AVforums.
    The price match "references" all over the threads. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Even JL has to change it's policy. :suicide:

It's "NICE" to join this widely known forums.

(imagine saying "nice" like Borat did)

:rotfl: :rotfl:

just a thought

5. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you edited it - I was about to hit the red triangle:rolleyes:

6. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    V bad news.

I can understand it in a way, but you would think they would make it further than 10 miles given the relative scarcity of John Lewis stores.

I wonder if they will still price match themselves though, if the price is dropped in store (eg Cheadle JL often seems to have cheaper prices)

7. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    haya,
    I was not addressing your posting mate

I was addressing the "title" of this thread or the originator.

That JL changed policy because (I guess) too many people asking for price match coming from this forums without actually coming to the real stores.

What tickled me was the thought that a big department store like JL was affected strongly by this Forums

_

8. DoLpHiNaToR

DoLpHiNaToR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't understand why they don't just price their TV's at more competitive prices in the first place.

Surely a free five year warranty is enough to sway a lot of people to buy from JL if the prices are closer to other stores in the first place. :rolleyes:

9. mat060572

mat060572

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I completed an undersale form yesterday with Empire Direct and that is not near JL Milton Keynes. The manager did not mention this at all

10. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Because the majority of the sales they make will be at the full price to unsuspecting customers who don't know about web pricing - they go away happy and so do JL. People like us, who can really be bothered to track down the right TV at the right price, are the exception.

11. Yellowduck

Yellowduck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Please doublecheck with your local store......it could have been the manager trying to save face over the £210 discount, but he seemed genuine.

In response to another post in the thread, he also said he could NOT pricematch other JL stores. Southend is about 25 miles from Bluewater, which is probably one of JL biggest stores, and a lot of people from Southend visit Bluewater. He said a lot of his busines came from local people who visited B'water, and then ordered from the Southend store as it was local for them to collect from, and he said that this will affect his business badly, as they will now have to order from B'water if they want their prices......

Perhaps someone would like to ring JL HO to check if this is true.....

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    Pity, but, if true, inevitable, I guess. 10 miles is much the same as many other retailers (Curry$, Com€t etc). JL are probably still a better bet then these in terms of after-sales "attitude".

13. BillyHey

BillyHey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    IANAL, but you're talking complete tosh here. JL can sell a TV to Billy Bob for 5p if they want to, and then offer it to you for £900, there's no law being broken.

Typical attitude of some people these days who want to start a law suit for the slightest thing.

You have a choice - if you want a TV from JL for the price Dave ManUtd is getting it for then drive to JL in Lancs!

14. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take your point we can all negotiate an individual discount with some stores (not JL usually though). But this is a stated policy to discriminate against people on the basis of which part of the UK they live. I dont want to start a lawsuit necessarily I just want an opinion as to whether this is legal.

15. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hmmmm.... if it's true it's the end of North West buyers PMing JL against ED then - the nearest ED is 11.5 miles from JL Trafford.... :thumbsdow

Sound and vision 8.6 miles away though!

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    What is illegal about it?!!! :rotfl:

What do you do for a living? You obviously don't own a retail company?!

17. GreatWonder

GreatWonder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I went to a Boots store in London the other week, to buy my dinner, and they had the usual deal offer, but instead of the £2.99 they charge in my local store in the Midlands, the theives wanted £3.49, an extra 50p!! That's just one example of price fluctuation depending on area. It's always been that way, from fast food to houses, to LCD and plasma TV's. Now ask yourself, do you really think it's an unlawful practice if it's this common?

18. madman10

madman10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SO WHEN DID THEY CHANGE IT?

19. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Not so my fellow Manc ........ ED Manchester is only just over 5 miles from JL Cheadle.

EDIT - Here's a post from the JL thread confirming some other stores JL Cheadle can be price matched to:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4735328&postcount=4996

Going back to the OP's topic, I'd like to see linked confirmation from JL of this policy change though.

20. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure Boots could justify the additional costs at their London stores. However here we are not talking about a few p - we are talking hundreds of quid. Also this cannot be justified on the basis of "local costs" but is purely chance as to what other stores you have in the locality. It still don't sound right to me. Fuel costs for me to drive to Manchester area and back is about £50 so I assume I could order from Manchester etc and delivery would be a similar price?

21. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although not in the retail sector I am perfectly familiar with market pricing which may be geographic, but this is a different matter.

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Me too - no change on their website so far.

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986

A store can sell its products for whatever it wants to, there is no fixed pricing.
    You can buy from where ever you want to, you are not forced to use a certain retailer.
    John Lewis offer something no one else does as far as I know, and that is a 5yr guaruntee as standard on their TV's.
    Over the years they said that they will match the price of the same product of someone else is doing the same thing, then came the internet prices from companies that don't even keep a product in stock, let alone pay for overheads that the stores do. So they said they would not match internet prices, and rightly so.
    Now we also have retailers that have websites, I am not talking about web only based companies, but retail outlets that have web pages, and you have forums like this where Johnny in Glasgow tells Jack in Southend that a small shop round teh corner from him has a TV advertised at £xxx.xx. This guy may just be clearing them out or happy to make £50 on the set, but why should the nation then get them at this price??

I think price matching within a 10 miles radius is more than fair, if you want cheaper buy it from one of teh places you have seen it from that cheap, simple.

Why do you want to buy it from John Lewis Analogue??

24. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'm not from "Manc"hester. :D But I don't live far enough away to be a ManU bandwagonner. :rotfl:

I'd like confirmation of this too.

25. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
  26. Snatch

Snatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I have quick question regarding this..

If i bought a TV from say JL in Watford which was PM'd, then decided to buy the same model again 6 months later - surely they should price match, right?

Reason i ask, i recently purchased a 37" Tosh from them for my sister in law (al under my name)...They price matched from £849 to £699 (Empire direct)..
    Now i decided i like it so much, i may purchase one..Surely if i provide them evidence that i purchased at that price a few months back, they will honour??

Or am i talking toilet?

27. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe JL are loosing money from their free warranty?

28. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Not so, just coppied from their website at the date and time of this thread:

If you have purchased an item from one of our shops and then find the same item selling for less in any UK shop, we will refund the difference. As we do not wish you to regret buying from us, we allow you up to 28 days from the date of purchase to claim this refund. We meet such claims on the same basis as the price checking done by our shops described above.

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Talking toilet! :)

They may do it for you but I guess it depends if the company that they were price matching is still doing it at that price. I think it says you have 14 days to take them up on their PM.

I would have thought there are better LCDs available now anyway?

30. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    New update:
    I just called my Southampton JL to price match in my 28 day's with MRM, have to give the shop address which is under a different name??

Anyway the lady took all the details and didn't question it once and they are now given to the undersales team. I think the manager was lying.