Stop me wanting to buy an OLED...

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by DodgeT, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DodgeT

DodgeT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    So, end of December i bought a sony kd55ex8396 for the living room, as an upgrade from a 9yr old samsung lcd.
    I did a lot of viewing at the time, comparing against OLED etc and to be fair, I couldn't notice enough of a difference in the stores to warrant the (then) double price, the sony was £750 v LG oled at £1500.

Don't get me wrong, the tv is brilliant, picture quality IMO is fantastic.

But... I just keep thinking, how good would oled blacks be?? How good would the colours of an oled be??? In a home environment of course.

Has anyone done similar and had similar afterthoughts and what did you end up doing?

I don't watch UHD discs, just cable tv/hd, netflix 4k, blu rays etc.

Would i be blown away with the difference of an LG oled over the sony, for HD and blu ray viewing? If not, I'll stop thinking "what if" right now. However, if I would be blown away, then i'll start looking again..

Tia.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    OLED and HDR are both new technologies and we'll see big improvements over the next half a dozen years, there's little reason to buy into either technology right now if you already have a TV you're happy with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,817
    Apart from a case if gadetitis.
    Personally i have looked at OLED and found it a little harsh but it's a personal opinion.

4. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    The real question is are you getting irritated by the limitations of a VA LCD with frame dimming? If not - nothing to worry about - poorer off axis image quality and whole picture light blooming sometimes.

IMHO content on Netflix or Amazon that really exploits an OLED is still quite rare. While there are an increasing number of 4K HDR titles and even DV titles on Netflix, many are mastered in a somewhat detrimental manner for 'dramatic effect' or whatever the excuse is. On the odd occasional that an HDR (or especially DV) program is really nicely mastered, then of course it looks absolutely stunning, but sadly such content is still quite rare.

A lot of brightly made content on terrestrial TV doesn't have any true black, nor even much contrast in it anyway - if the TV is good at coloring bright scenes in SDR and does a decent job of upscaling to its native resolution, then it almost doesn't matter what TV you have.

TBH the most striking difference for a lot of content is not the image, but what is around the image when the aspect is not 16:9 (ie a movie), or more correctly, what is NOT around the image - ie the complete absence of the usual grey bars above and below when the lights are out for watching a movie which gives a much more cinematic quality then I have ever seen on an LCD.

5. DodgeT

DodgeT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hmm. The only “issue” is that I do notice the change in the dark areas, when viewed off angle, both sideways and vertically if I’m sitting lower watching with my son. It does bug me a bit, but it’s probably because I’m looking for it instead of watching the film!

Also, I have the opportunity to offload the current new tv to the father in law, as he wants it if I don’t keep it, so will lose very little.

I think I’m probably going to have to do it for my own sanity, otherwise I’m going to keep thinking what if..

Only question now is which one. Stuck in a dilemma between the LG 55b7 and the Panny 55ez952b.

Although of the majority of reviews, I think it should be the b7.

6. d10brp

d10brp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    Sounds like you've readied yourself for OLED. You're concerns about off angle viewing and back lighting will be addressed by OLED and I'm sure you'll love it. They were the main drivers for me too.

I'd get the LG if I were you. They're normally the cheapest and have Dolby Vision for future proofing.

7. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Best thing to go with an OLED - replace your light bulbs in living room with Philip hue or similar so you can control room lighting from something like a harmony remote control. Not essential, but it definitely helps to conveniently get the best out of it.

8. SLS72

SLS72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    If you're coming from an XE83 which uses an IPS panel then OLED would be a massive upgrade.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    I wish you would have posted here first before buying that Sony, would have been able to help you find a better TV.

Not that its terrible, just not really a model I recommend when for the same money you can get much better contrast and blacks on other models instead.

So yes, OLED is going to be a big improvement.

10. DodgeT

DodgeT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Just bought a b7. Picking it up in a couple of hours!

11. d10brp

d10brp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    Enjoy it, let us know how you get on.