Stop me, please.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Clarky, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Clarky

Clarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this and have been lurking unseen in these fora for a few months preparing to spend about £1300 on my first pj. The information and opinions expressed have been very helpful to me.
    I'll probably get flamed for this, and apologies to all the UK retailers who read this forum, but I couldn't help noticing that generally prices in the US more or less match the UK prices dollar to pound. So, my question is this- could 'one' successfully purchase a projector in the USA, ship it to the UK and get warranty cover? Would it be worthwhile, after paying duty, shipping and insurance? Has anyone done it? Would it survive the journey, or would I end up with a box of themescene cornflakes?
    To make a start, I know of a US internet company that will ship to the UK, and Infocus, at least, have told me they will honour the warranty if the machine is registered here.
    Well, what I'd like to hear, and I hope you won't disappoint me, are reasons not to do it... post sales service, incompatability etc...or any killer fact I've not thought of that makes it unfeasible. Otherwise, I might just give it a go.
    Please, stop me.
    Kind regards
    Clarky

2. redrocket

redrocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wanted my projector as cheap as possible but i also wanted good service. There is quite a lot of complexity in a projector installation.

if the projector does have a fault or is damaged on arrival or does not suit your purposes how much hassle would it be to return it?

Your money and your choice but don't expect any help from a UK dealer.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    What about buying second hand from the classifieds? you could also check out pricejapan. Also in that price range nexnix and ivojo both uk are quite competitive with excellent service from both.

4. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Completely agree with redrocket having purchased from the US and had to do a return for repair at great expense not to mention the time it took.

Regards, MikeD

5. Clarky

Clarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies and cautionary remarks. Sorry, I know it was an uncomfotable question to ask, but hey you have to look at all the options. I'm pleased to see a remark from someone who's purchased in the US. MikeD- was your pj under warranty? I just wonder why it had to back to the US rather than the UK branch of panny, infocus or whatever manufacturer you chose? It sounds like a painful experience, could you please explain in a bit more detail?
    Many thanks
    Clarky

6. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there Clarky, didn't mean to mislead you but it was actually a line doubler that I purchased for around $750 on an AVS forum power buy a couple of years ago and yes it was under warranty at the time.

I was lucky that the US manufacturer was more than reasonable about my situation although they did clearly point out that they needn't have done anything as it wasn't bought through one of their appointed resellers or their UK distributor.

Regards, MikeD