1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop me going crazy!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Will_Marsh, May 30, 2004.

1. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get my first set and am looking to get some advice from this forum (which I have been browsing for 2-3 months). I am looking to spend no more than £700 but currently can't decide between a number of models. I would be grateful if anyone could answer some or all of the following questions (I can't get Digital tv so would like good terrestrial and DVD quality and I watch sports, mainly Rugby and GP and i've heard that some 100Hz pictures are worse with high speed action);

I was originally considering the 28PW9308 (on a budget of £500) but now the P+2 has come out and i'm seriously considering the 28PW9509 (best price £700) so have upped my budget.

This throws in the question; How do you go about deciding on 28" or 32" (apart from budget)? at £500 the options were limited but £700 brings up the sony KV32FQ70 and FX68 which i've found for £680 and £675.

I'm also wondering if these higher end models are worth the premium over basic £300-£400 models?

What would you consider to be a good choice (i may well have omited some vital info in this post, for which i apologise!!) from these or others?

Any help would be much appreciated come on guys, i'm sure you can stop me going crazy :lease:
    Thanks

2. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you can help me out, need to decide in time for Euro 2004. I respect the opinions of people on here over any other sources ;)

3. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Going crazy picking a new TV is par for the course I am afraid.

I am definately going for 32" (28" would be too small compared to my old 4:3 TV).

The options I am considering at the moment are the Philips 9509 or the JVC HV32D40. I am waiting to see what the JVC is like - but the features are great - 100hz DIST, freeview, component input (PAL progressive) and is supposodely compatible with a HD1080i signal - and it can be found for £745!

Saying that I have also looked at Panny and Tosh models..

My main concern is footy performance.. as I watch quite a lot of it ;) But I also have an xbox and sky digital!!!

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you decide on a 28" set, make sure you compare 50hz models to the 100hz models you mention.

With a screensize of 28", processing isn't really required (unless you are sensitive to screen flicker, in which case 100hz can be a benefit), and can often cause more harm than good. If you aren't sensitive to screen flicker, a 50hz set might be your best option. It will certainly provide pictures free of smearing on high speed movement.

At 32", you are on the borderline where 50hz is becoming less effective, and processing can be of some benefit, especially if you watch a lot of NTSC dvd's. If I was buying a 32" set in your price range, I would consider a Sony with DRC processing, which is very effective at removing scanlines which can be noticeable on a 32" tv, but also doesn't seem to suffer from the smearing that afflicts some sets (if my friends 36FS70 is anything to go by).