Stop gap subwoofer

brandy123

Hi guys i have posted on these forums awhile ago regarding my subwoofer dying so have been using just the speakers from this package: Wharfedale DX2 (Black)
with some of these as high fronts for atmos : DALI ALTECO C1 (White)

i have been looking for a stop gap subwoofer to get me through till maybe the middle of this year and then i can get one of the recommended BK P12‘s.

just a quick look at richer sounds: Search results for: 'Subwoofer'

anyone one of them good enough, ideally prefer one that is under the £200 bracket.
i use a denon avr-x2400 to connect everything to.

Kapkirk

No point in spending loads of cash if it's only a stop gap, This Polk is highly rated for the price and should do the job as long as you don't want earth shattering volumes.

MaryWhitehouse

brandy123

Thanks guys for your info,
So have to decide between the:

Or

I know I’m just getting a low end subwoofer for the price, but any one more favourable to one of them looking at the specs ?

MaryWhitehouse

To me 50w in the Polk is far too low.

MaryWhitehouse

brandy123

@MaryWhitehouse thankyou for your info,
Will get this bought and im sure I will ask you what settings you have regarding frequency etc,

I assume I will have to get the old denon microphone out to get all my speakers talking nicely with the new sub.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi guys i have posted on these forums awhile ago regarding my subwoofer dying so have been using just the speakers from this package: Wharfedale DX2 (Black)
with some of these as high fronts for atmos : DALI ALTECO C1 (White)

i have been looking for a stop gap subwoofer to get me through till maybe the middle of this year and then i can get one of the recommended BK P12‘s.

just a quick look at richer sounds: Search results for: 'Subwoofer'

anyone one of them good enough, ideally prefer one that is under the £200 bracket.
i use a denon avr-x2400 to connect everything to.
Can you stretch to 275£? This would do you good for the long term. More fun than the BK P12 also and miles better than the Wharfedale which has got bad rep here earlier.

MaryWhitehouse

miles better than the Wharfedale which has got bad rep here earlier.

Changed your mind then?

You can get new one with 2year amp warranty for 129£! This is grade2 so may have tiny mark, usually these are just opened/tested and in mint shape. You can call the shop, AVO is AVForums advertiser so good shop to deal with.

As you are young guy i think this would be spot on. 10" driver with downfiring port so you get some rumble going on for movies! Keep in mind if you buy used one it can start to humm or the amp can die any day. Then it´s waste of money. Get new with warranty and be safe.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Changed your mind then?
No. I wouldn´t buy it personally cause the feedback is quite horrible and the amp failures, but i have listed it for persons who can´t spend more or alternative for a used 100£ sub. OP has 200£ budget and should really save up more.

If the plan is to have good looking BK then i wouldn´t buy anything as stop gap as it would be silly to spend even 129£ and then trying to sell the Wharfedale later.

The KLH is even better than BK P12 for movies in certain ways while being dirt cheap so worth to consider as it wouldn´t be stop gap.

brandy123

Already ordered the sw-150 today and didn’t even no I have a £10 discount as a member, (it’s been awhile).

I know it’s nothing special but for £139 I can’t complain, as money is tight at the moment I just needed a cheap subwoofer.

brandy123

So it’s here in my flat and will sync it up with all my speakers tomorrow, but looking at the back what dials should be set to ?
Volume ?
Crossover frequency ?
Phase
Auto power ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 41

Conrad

Set volume to about 12 o'clock, turn crossover all the to the right.
Phase is fine at 0.
Auto power is up to you. I assume that "on" means that it'll use auto power and will go into standby if it doesn't get a signal. That's nice, but can be frustrating if you're watching quietly or watching a movie that doesn't have a lot of bass, and then it does suddenly have lots of bass. Off will likely leave the sub on all the time. That's not really a problem but some people get concerned about the energy draw and the effect of leaving electronics permanently powered up.

brandy123

Set volume to about 12 o'clock, turn crossover all the to the right.
Phase is fine at 0.
Auto power is up to you. I assume that "on" means that it'll use auto power and will go into standby if it doesn't get a signal. That's nice, but can be frustrating if you're watching quietly or watching a movie that doesn't have a lot of bass, and then it does suddenly have lots of bass. Off will likely leave the sub on all the time. That's not really a problem but some people get concerned about the energy draw and the effect of leaving electronics permanently powered up.
Cheers bud so like this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 26

Conrad

Looks like a good starting point.

brandy123

Looks like a good starting point.
I originally had these settings before my original subwoofer passed away:
Front and centre 120 hz
Front heights 150 hz
Surround 110
Bass lfe
Lpf for lfe 120 hz p

Hope that makes sense lol.
But obviously this sub is a lot weaker.
I did notice you said leave the phase at 0 but I know this sub is a lot cheaper than my old dx-2 sub but I had that set to 180 ?

Last edited:

Conrad

There's a bit of a gap then between your mains and the sub. When you turn the Frequency dial to the right, does it click when it gets to the end? If the sub only plays up to about 85Hz and your speakers are crossed at 120Hz you're missing a good chunk of the range.

Bass LFE and LPF for LFE are fine.

If you had phase on 180 before then set it to that. It's hard to know without measuring. I'd listen to it on one setting, then change it and listen on the other setting, see which is better (at your seat).

brandy123

Cheers bud for your info,
Because it’s a cheap sub it only goes to 85hz.
Will leave the phase at 0 as suggested and see if it’s enough when playing something with some bass.

Will run audyssey tomorrow and see what it gives me regarding speaker settings.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
There's a bit of a gap then between your mains and the sub. When you turn the Frequency dial to the right, does it click when it gets to the end? If the sub only plays up to about 85Hz and your speakers are crossed at 120Hz you're missing a good chunk of the range.

Bass LFE and LPF for LFE are fine.

If you had phase on 180 before then set it to that. It's hard to know without measuring. I'd listen to it on one setting, then change it and listen on the other setting, see which is better (at your seat).

Frequency Response35Hz to 110Hz

BK has the LFE position but Wharf doesn`t have anything i tried to ask them this years ago when i helped member but no reply back. There is many subs when you connect the cable to correct input the crossover knob is not in use so it`s bypassed and then it should play higher than internal crossover in use. BK plays up to 200hz or higher like most SVS subs when bypassed.

Wouldn´t make any sense to play only up to 85hz. :confused:

Best to leave the phase to 0 as Audussey should get it right. At least in every Audussey article the engineer Chris says to leave it at 0.

brandy123

Just in the process of setting up the audyssey but what should this be ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 25

Conrad

120Hz is fine.

brandy123

Finished but getting these :
1st pic was my old settings,
2rd one is now

Attachments

• 40A44FDB-C2C3-4EE9-A270-14D9B794EFAF.png
    40A44FDB-C2C3-4EE9-A270-14D9B794EFAF.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 511A91F4-F17B-47DF-B149-1082D00A47C9.jpeg
    511A91F4-F17B-47DF-B149-1082D00A47C9.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 20

brandy123

Regarding this pic,
Should it be different because of these settings for the sw-150

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 19

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces new Kann Max DAP and Pathfinder earphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones