Question Stop Gap HDR TV to Replace Sony KDL-42W653??

lettuce

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to get a Black Friday deal on a TV to replace my Sony KDL-42w653, now this is only going to be a stop gap TV and will probably be replaced in 6 months when 2019 models come out. I know what the general consensus is and people will say just wait but i really dont want to and want to get a 4K TV with reasonable HDR performance mainly for gaming on.

To be honest the HDR is a bigger draw to me than what 4K is, and i dont really want to go too much larger than my current 42" Sony (again i know 4K wouldn't be a massive benefit at this size).

As its only a stop gap TV i dont want to spend anymore that £500 (hopefully black friday can help with this). I see Amazon currently have the.....

Sony KD49XF7002BU for £444
Sony KD43XF7002 for £419
Toshiba 49U5863DB £349
Toshiba 49U5863DB £349
TCL 43DP648 £329
Hisense H50AE6100UK £319

Now again i know that HDR on theses TV are not going to be outstanding performers but as long as its a marked improvement of SDR on my current Sony and the picture quality is just as good then ill be happy as as ive said its only going to be a stop gap and not a TV ill be keeping for 2 years plus.

Any feedback at all would be very helpful, as long as the TV i get isnt going to be worse picture wise than my current Sony and gives me the benefit of HDR and 4K then im happy

On the TVs that you have listed you may as well not have HDR at all. If you read in to reviews and user experiences on TVs at this price point you will see complaints such as washed out pictures, raised black levels and a generally a worse experience when using HDR than SDR.

At very least you need to be looking at the Samsung 49NU8000 for a starter TV for HDR and Sony 49XF9005 for good HDR.

I know its annoying, but its the way it is at the budget end of the market, just focus on a TV purchase for solely SDR.

Took your advice and managed to get the 49NU8000 for £600 from a website.....lets see if it actually turns up

Took your advice and managed to get the 49NU8000 for £600 from a website.....lets see if it actually turns up

If it's a reputable one then there shouldn't be a problem.

If it's a reputable one then there shouldn't be a problem.

Well lets just say its not a well know site (only a small business) and cant remark on how reputable they are but they have a twitter account with over 1200 followers and regular posts so they seem legit and heck if i can get a TV that was over £1000 back in spring for £600 then it a bargain!!

Last edited:
Well lets just say its not a well know site (only a small business) and cant remark on how reputable they are but they have a twitter account with over 1200 followers and regular posts so they seem legit and heck if i can get a TV that was over £1000 back in spring for £600 then it a bargain!!

There's a lot of grey market sites that come up around now so be careful as they import models and then if something goes wrong you are not covered by any warranty.

It turned up today all seems to be good with it, how would one tell if it was an import model?

It turned up today all seems to be good with it, how would one tell if it was an import model?

Does it have NU8000 on the back of the model number or e.g NU8005?

There is also a version number to check as well, this should then indicate what type of panel it has, but I can't remember which is which, @desinho knows though.

If there's a number on the end of that model number it's a import for sure, 5 is for France and 9 for Germany, 92 is also used for Slovakia and Eastern Europe, we've had these last year here in Finland with the MU6100 series.

Does it have NU8000 on the back of the model number or e.g NU8005?

There is also a version number to check as well, this should then indicate what type of panel it has, but I can't remember which is which, @desinho knows though.

If there's a number on the end of that model number it's a import for sure, 5 is for France and 9 for Germany, 92 is also used for Slovakia and Eastern Europe, we've had these last year here in Finland with the MU6100 series.

Have looked on the back and the Model is UE49NU8000T, Type No: UE49NU8000 and Version No: 01/UNU8000

Have looked on the back and the Model is UE49NU8000T, Type No: UE49NU8000 and Version No: 01/UNU8000

The version number in and of itself is meaningless, it is something you can use to quickly check if you know beforehand which panel is associated to it (should be VA all the way for the NU8000 series anyway I believe and the more specific detail can only be found in the service menu).
But the full UK model name is UE49NU8000TXXU where the last two (or just last) letters indicate the distribution region it was intended for (XU for the UK).
That you already mention UE49NU8000T is a good indication you probably have the UK model indeed (the local one here is UE49NU8000LXXN for example and the German one is UE49NU8009TXZG).

Last edited:
  • TX(Europe) - 2x DVB-C/S2/T2 HD (HEVC for T2 & S2) + analog tuner
  • XU - England, Ireland
Definitive answer will be in the service menu for the panel type, a string like this will appear: 40A1UF0C

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom