Stop Eating Fish

loz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know its not MMGW, but this seems an appropriate forum.

What would you say to a campaign to have people stop eating fish?

Our oceans are clearly fairing pretty badly. Pretty soon there isn't going to be any fish left. And when the ocean's food chain collapses we ourselves are going to be in for one heck of a big problem.

It seems hard to stop people over fishing. But what if we had a campaign to stop people eating fish. make it really socially unacceptable. So there would be no point in fishing.

There seems to be lots of referrences on the web to the sorry state of the oceans and fish stocks, and obviously some people realise the solution is to stop eating fish. But there never seems to have been any big awareness campaign, like MMGW for example. Why not?

It feels like it would be a really hard thing to impress on people. But if nothing is done....

I mean, do we need to eat fish? Can't we live on meat and veg? Can't we get by with just farmed fish? Shouldn't we be leaving what is left in the oceans to the fish food chain?

It seems to me there is no point having fish quotas in the north sea for example, if all people do is just eat fish imported from somewhere else - causing even more problems there. The only solution I can see is to get people to just stop eating fish.

How do you propose we get "Omega 3" from oily fish? key is not stop eating them but limit quantity. It is that "Parent saying the child has had enough candy" analogy again.

Plenty of non fish based sources of Omega 3 http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/healthy_eating/omega3.htm

The Oceans truly are in danger though. Rises in temperature, global dimming, coastal pollution can all have a dramatic effect on the very bottom of the marine food chain - PHYTOPLANKTON.

I was doing some reading on how general supplies of zooplankton (fed by phytoplankton) have diminished in areas around the world which has in turn led to a reduction in fish and other higher species.

Once we start affecting the bottom of the food chain we are in trouble.

I have to agree.

We stopped eating beef because of the foot and mouth and the Margaret Thatcher disease. :thumbsdow

We stopped eating lamb because of the scrapie and the meat glowing ín the dark from Chernobyl. :thumbsdow

We stopped eating pigs because they are more intelligent than most human beings and we don't want to encourage intensive pig farming. :thumbsdow

Take away our fish and we're down to organic muesli and... nuts! :suicide:

I have to agree.

We stopped eating beef because of the foot and mouth and the Margaret Thatcher disease. :thumbsdow

We stopped eating lamb because of the scrapie and the meat glowing ín the dark from Chernobyl. :thumbsdow

We stopped eating pigs because they are more intelligent than most human beings and we don't want to encourage intensive pig farming. :thumbsdow

Take away our fish and we're down to organic muesli and... nuts! :suicide:

The analogies of beef, lamb and pigs are poor.

Do you deny our oceans are at threat, and that overfishing is the main culprit in terms of reducing fish stocks?

Are you suggesting we do nothing then?
What is your solution? Keep on eating fish? How exactly will that help?:rolleyes:

And there was me thinking the MMGW lobby would treat this kind of subject with sympathy, not humour.

And there was me thinking the MMGW lobby would treat this kind of subject with sympathy, not humour.

I was being serious! :)

And I do agree with you.

Excessive overfishing of reducing stocks has been a problem for decades. The world's politicians were just too weak to do anything about it when it was vitally necessary. They kept propping up their national fishing fleets as if they were owed a living. Nobody is. If you can't fish then you work down the mines. (whoops) :thumbsdow Or in Tescos. :smashin:

I wonder what percentage of caught fish presently goes to human consumption and how much to pet and animal foods? Or is simply wasted in other ways?

The only fish most people eat in Britain is "Fish and Chips" from a chippie and the fish is wrapped in a disgusting thing called batter. I say close all chippies, let's face it it's disgusting food anyway.

..... I say close all chippies, ......

A quick visit to the motoring forum here and the SVO thread might be a good idea before you suggest this. A load of forum members would be sorely upset at this suggestion!

Its an interesting idea (stop eating fish) with a lot of merit to it. Allow the stocks to recover somewhat, before its too late.
I remember reading a while ago a report about the Grand Banks off the coast of the states and the collapse of their cod stocks. They couldn't understand why the stocks, after years of a total ban, hadn't regenerated and the cod that were there were still relatively small. The thinking was that the over-fishing had been so bad that such a genetic advantage had been given to small cod, by being able to survive the onslaught by reason of their size. They were too small for the nets, even when adult and thus weren't caught. But all the big fish were caught so all that was left were the tiddlers. And little fish breed more little fish. The big cod are gone!

Hmm, and to think I complain that eco-warriors have a totalitarian tendency :devil:

I suggest that your first point of attack should be the EU's Common Fisheries Policy.

In the meantime, I like fish and so will continue to eat it. :)

The only fish most people eat in Britain is "Fish and Chips" from a chippie and the fish is wrapped in a disgusting thing called batter. I say close all chippies, let's face it it's disgusting food anyway.

I suggest that you keep your nose out of other peoples business :) People like fish and chips, including myself on occasion. What this personal choice has to do with you I don't know.

Attempting to limit the rights of others is to be deplored.

Attempting to limit the rights others to say what they think is also to be deplored.

Heads you lose. Tails you lose.

Attempting to limit the rights of others is to be deplored.

Attempting to limit the rights others to say what they think is also to be deplored.

Heads you lose. Tails you lose.

Yes, I quite agree. Unfortunately, we now have laws in this country which forbid people to incite others to ‘think’ thoughts which in themselves aren’t illegal. Orwell must be turning in his grave.

I say close all chippies, let's face it it's disgusting food anyway.

Well there's plenty of other things a chippy can sell besides fish.

However, a few of them might have to change their shop names :)

Will be a shame really if stocks are fished to virtual extinction... I do love a good bit of fish.

That said, ultimately perhaps the laws of supply and demand will eventually kick in. Once the supply begins to run low, the price will go up, and less people will eat it... eventually it may become so expensive that for the most part it will become an expensive luxury food, and at that point, perhaps things will then turn around.

The problem is, fishing is peoples livelihood, their own way of surviving in this world. It is all very well for us to try and convince people not to eat it, that is their choice, but the fact is, these people rely on fishing for their income, and as such, it will always be hard to restrict how many fish can be caught, because you are effectively cutting these peoples income. I am sympathetic to the plight of fish in the oceans, but I'm afraid I dont see any easy solution, except for when the laws of supply and demand eventually take hold (and they will).

In the meantime though, I will also continue to eat and enjoy fish, because as with global warming, there is sweet FA I can do to influence the outcome of it. Even if I did give up, for every person who follows suit, I can guarantee at least 10 will not...

Overfishing is not the only threat to the ocean stocks of fish.

MMGW is playing havoc with the biodiversity of coral reefs and the increased temperatures around reefs have caused large areas to be decimated in all tropical regions.

The reefs provide the basic nursery for many thousands of open water fish species and this is a great contributor to the decline of many species.

Overfishing is not the only threat to the ocean stocks of fish.

MMGW is playing havoc with the biodiversity of coral reefs and the increased waters around reefs have caused large areas to be decimated in all tropical regions.

The reefs provide the basic nursery for many thousands of open water fish and this is a great contributor to the decline of many species.
It's not just GW; pollution is destroying so much in the rivers and seas. Because we can't easily see it we tend not to care as much, but it's still happening.

I don't think anyone has mentioned vegetarianism yet. Why not? The consumption of animals on the scale we do has huge knock-on effects throughout the environment, from the production of food for animals to the disposal of effluent from factory farms.

It's not just GW; pollution is destroying so much in the rivers and seas. Because we can't easily see it we tend not to care as much, but it's still happening.

I don't think anyone has mentioned vegetarianism yet. Why not? The consumption of animals on the scale we do has huge knock-on effects throughout the environment, from the production of food for animals to the disposal of effluent from factory farms.

I enjoy meat. So do many others.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom