1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoopid hard drive question

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Sheks, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    A very silly question I know but:

When a hard drive says ATA100 on it does it mean it will be compatible with my SiS648 mobo.

I have a 20gb drive that is nearly full, and have been meaning to get a second drive for some time, can anyone tell me if this will be compatible:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=51435&offset=70

It seems a good price for a 60gb and the customer reviews are generally positive.

Thanks for the advise

Happy Christmas:clap:

Sheks

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    It'll be fine. The ATA speed is the maximum that drive can run at.

If the IDE ports on your motherboard are slower, then the drive will only run at ATA66 speeds.

If your board supports ATA133, then the drive will run at its maximum speed (100).

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    To be honest, your disk will never run at even ATA33 speeds except under freak conditions .. unless you're running artifical benchmarks or editing humungous video or audio files .. so don't worry, as long as it's running in DMA mode you'll not notice ant difference beteen 33 and 100 speed. :)

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You need to confirm your motherboard can run a drive of this size. Motherboards of the type that originally came with 20gig drives could well be limited to just above this size. I have 3 computers in the house and the oldest which is a P3 machine will not accept a drive over about 20gig, even though it is ata66 compatible.