1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stone Roses- best of

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Nov 16, 2002.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Bought fresh today, ohh my word, I only have the first SR album and thats brilliant.

This is the remastered version and has the best bits of the second coming. Wow, this really is breathtaking, the sound quality is fantastic, can SACD improve on this.

The songs off the second album, awesome, even QOTSA has been relegated. My 3 stand up albums from that era are Radiohead OKC, Nirvana NM and the Roses first album, this has now been squeezed to number four.

Greatest hits albums usually leave me cold, but definitely not this one.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you have a best of Stone Roses? All their songs were pure class!! You need the albums mate, you're missing out. Plus you need the Elephant Stone and Sally Cinnamon CD singles - brill stuff!

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think this essential for Stone Roses fans just for it's recorded quality - there early stuff sounded like it was done on a walkman

4. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    karkus30 --

Do yourself a favour, mate, and go out and get 'Turns Into Stone', a Silvertone collection that brings together some stellar B-sides ('Standing Here', 'Mersey Paradise', 'Going Down') that come close to out doing the A-sides.

Phenomenal.

-- Barry.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Exactly the point, the original recordings are not too bad, but the very best of is really stunning.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Definitely fancy getting their other albums, but its the sound quality on 'The very best of' which makes it extra special. As I said compilations are not usually my thing, but for this one I will make an exception. If you have a decent hifi SG, buy it.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the raw, dirty, dodgy recording sound mate. That's what takes me back to my yoof! That and all those Happy Mondays tracks - yer twisting ma melon mannnnnnnn :D

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its still raw, its not a polished sound, just more upfront, I was going to mention a certain album that also sounds a bit raw, but is upfront, but it will only start you off.

Happy Mondays, never bought an album by them, I know I should, but its Shaun Ryder putting me off, being the Ginger Ones mate and all and looking like the Pogues after a 1000 xmas's in NY.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karkus,

I know who you were going to suggest ;) They've actually surprised me with their latest single as it's a massive improvement on their previous stuff. I believe they are maturing at long last ;)

The only point I was trying to make is that I think music is best left as you remembered it and loved it. I loved the Stone Roses and I won't love them anymore because the recordings are cleaned up and in fact, I probably won't appreciate it because I know their records so well that I'll think it sounds somehow different :)

Happy Mondays got crap towards the end and Black Grape never did anything for me, but their Pills & Thrills and Bellyaches CD was superb. Loads of great lyrics in there and funky grooves.

I've never heard it, but they also released a live album with a rather interesting title..

"squirrel and g man twenty four hour etc." :eek: :D