Stolen E1 & XE1 players - beware

jbaker

Forgive me if this is already common knowledge...

A load of Toshiba TVs and DVD players have been nicked from a distribution centre in Leeds. £92,000 worth of stuff has gone, including E1 and XE1 players.

So if you get offered a cheap one, you have been warned:nono:

RHCP

adam4478

Novice Member
watch the classifieds - i'm soon to be offering E1's @ £50 and XE1's at £75 (hush hush no questions asked:)) if the mods close they'll be off to the robbers and conmans superstore aka the bay

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
:rotfl: :rotfl:

RHCP, you're not a student are you? :D Them were the days didn't matter what it was if it was cheap or free we wanted it.. :D

And these things ended up in the local Loot with nothing but a dodgy moby number... non of this traceable Ebay / Paypal stuff. :devil:

Rich777

Forgive me if this is already common knowledge...

A load of Toshiba TVs and DVD players have been nicked from a distribution centre in Leeds. £92,000 worth of stuff has gone, including E1 and XE1 players.

So if you get offered a cheap one, you have been warned:nono:

link to the source would be good, not questioning the validity ;) just for information of course

TrevorS

Yorkshire Evening Post
Here's the link...if it works, we've been having problems with our online servers today.
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news?ArticleID=2702392

That's pretty amazing. It doesn't even mention alarms being circumvented, which makes one suspect the place wasn't protected by anything at all -- not very clever! Started Saturday evening and finished Tuesday early morn -- wonder when it was discovered? The article appears to be dated Friday after.

RockySpieler

This is interesting.......................if HDCP works properly, could not Toshiba put these devices on a black list so they self destruct (Mission Impossible style), when either a newly released disc, or when you try to update them.

Or perhaps HDCP doesn't actually work at specific serial number level, and only at generic chip level.

Does anyone know how HDCP should be applied in this situation?

This makes the asssumption that the warehouse has serialised control on its stock, if its anything like my warehouse you are luckly if the right model box is in the right locator, let alone FIFO or other stock control.

TrevorS

This is interesting.......................if HDCP works properly, could not Toshiba put these devices on a black list so they self destruct (Mission Impossible style), when either a newly released disc, or when you try to update them.

Or perhaps HDCP doesn't actually work at specific serial number level, and only at generic chip level.

Does anyone know how HDCP should be applied in this situation?

This makes the asssumption that the warehouse has serialised control on its stock, if its anything like my warehouse you are luckly if the right model box is in the right locator, let alone FIFO or other stock control.

To me it reads as though the inventory is "processed" by unshackling a gate or two, parking the lorry (ie. inventory), relocking the gates, and going home (bills of lading probably stacked in a drawer somewhere).

Maybe there's much being unsaid, but I wonder if any insurer would even touch them (ie. was this loss even insured?). It reads as though they might just as well hang a sign out front saying "Come Help Yourself".

PS. Pretty certain HDCP does not deal with serial numbers -- just models.

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
How ridiculous that they not only managed to get away with it once, but that it was unreported for so long they came back.. :eek: :oops:

My first questions are, who were the witnesses that saw the cars driving around before the second atempt. How do they know when they broke in If it was a padlocked gate and fence? If it's all on time coded CCTV why wasn't it being watched? Why were several truck loads of kit left un checked for days? How do they know which vans were broken into on what night? They seem to have a lot of information about what exactly went on, yet weren't able to stop it? ? :confused: Very odd... something stinks IMO.

Can't be easy to get rid of that much stock.... Just ask Sony :devil: I'd expect them to be caught, then again, the luck they've had so far perhaps not :rolleyes:

technovorgin

Standard Member
well
the stock was not taken from toshiba itself it was stolen from round the corner at the distributors premises
3 trucks were emptied i believe
this i was told by a worker from tosh

as for them being for sale round leeds i doubt it very much as the west yorks plod is all over belle isle & middleton along with gipton & seacroft
apparently this is being taken very seriously for a change lol

so you guys darn sarf are more likely to get them offered than us leeds lads:mad:

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Police are interested in a couple of dodgy southerners who are down on their luck.

Attachments

• _42243964_wise_bates203.jpg
    _42243964_wise_bates203.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 40

IanPM

Perhaps Toshiba instigated this, as a backdoor way of winning the format war. Flood the market with cheap players and then get your insurance company to pay :D

I'm joking of course. Please don't send lawyers!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom