1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen... Again on shopping

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by cribeiro, Feb 25, 2003.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi!

I had a Canon Powershot A40 for 6 months, unfortunately it was stolen... at my work place! Now I started saving money again, and I am looking again in internet, there are some new models, etc... I was really satisfied with that camera, I was a beginner, and I learnt a lot about fotography thanks to that little toy... But I still had a lot to learn :-( AFter a lot of investigations in internet and shops, I concluded that the A40 is the best in its price range, and I think I would buy it again...
    My question now is, do you think I should stick to it, or go for a bigger think? I very liked the G2 and G3, but maybe I am still a beginner as to go for that...
    I do not really think I would print in a bigger size than the standard one, only in very rare cases...
    Also, do you think there is something new in the market competing with the A40 that I should take into account?
    Thank you for your help.

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
  3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Thank you! It looks nice, and I like a couple of features: up to 3 min of video, and extra resolution (3.2 Mpix instead of 2.0). I will take it into account.
    By the way, I add this question: do you know why the time I could record a video with the a40 was varying all the time? Sometimes I could record 30 sec, and sometimes only 10... And this without changing settings... Could it be a buffer problem?

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I believe so. I am not an expert on how cameras write to the CF card but I have been told that the buffering is always the biggest issue when doing video.

If your video clip was of a still object, the amount of data needed is a lot more than of a fast moving object.

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I see... Then I was not doing anything wrong. But I would rather say that a still object takes less memory than a moving one, isn't it?
    Ah! And I have heard that there are some cameras that write the CF directly, without intermediate buffer and then the limit is the available memory. Is that right?

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you like the canon A range its worth looking at the S range too (30, 40, 45 & 50).

they are a cut down G2 and G3