1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock agency licensing

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by chrisgeary, Jul 6, 2005.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between:

Traditional Non-exclusive
    Traditional Exclusive
    Royalty Free

licensing? I understand the differences in terms of how the buyer can use images, but what does it all mean to the contributor in terms of:

revenue gained
    saleability of each shot

Basically, I'm trying to understand which licensing model to apply to my images. I'm using Alamy if that helps.

thx

Chris

2. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Traditional Non-exclusive

This means that you are selling the image to a someone that will use it for whatever purpose but the fee that they pay will be based on territory used, market, number of reprints etc. The company can only use the image once, however you are still able to sell this image to other companies.

Traditional Exclusive

This is the same as non exclusive but you are not able to sell the image to other companies. As a result though the company will pay you more.

Royalty Free

You allow anyone to buy your photo for any purpose and use it any number of times for which typically they pay a much smaller amount than Traditional rates.

HTH

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    ok, thats mostly the bit i understood. but where i get fuzzy is how that translates into potential sales etc. which licensing scheme would maximise the potential revenue of my images? or for an amateur trying to build a side business, does it make little difference?

cheers

Chris

4. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Well its kinda like it says really.

If you do royalty free you'll earn less on a individual basis but you could sell a lot more and so earn more in the long run but then you do kinda loose a bit of control over your images which could devalue them in the long run too.

Traditional will earn you more money on an individual basis but you will loose out on any exclusive deal and people with less money wont be able to afford it

Exclusive will earn you big money but only once.

So in other words you should choose which license to use on an individual photo basis to see which is the most applicable. For example lets say you had taken a photo of loads of gouse for sale signs in a residential street. You may be better off going for a royalty free basis as nobody is going to want an exclusive license (well very unlikely anyway) and a traditional license is probably going to be too expensive for a photo like this that is more than likely to be used as an illustration in a small news story.

5. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    thanks.. thats just what I needed! :smashin: