1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sting - All This Time - DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Nelgan, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Nelgan

Nelgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that this DVD has been out for awhile, but I thought I'd offer a few comments.
    First, my only complaint - there is no 2 channel PCM mix available. This limits the ability to use many of the excellent 2 channel DACs that I have on hand. I generally prefer 2 channel to multichannel for music, because many engineers are still a bit too liberal with panning effects on multichannel music recordings.
    On to the good stuff.....
    When I purchsed this DVD I had no previous knowledge of the performance or when it was recorded. I didn't even read the back of the case, I just popped it in and watched the documentary, then the concert.
    I was completely blown away. As an American, September 11th certainly stands out as a horrendous memory. Watching this DVD hit close to home as I watched Sting and his band try to decide whether to cancel the performance or play on. I'm glad they decided to go on with the show.
    For me, Sting's musical offerings have been in a state of decline since Nothing Like The Sun. The Soul Cages album that followed was still good, but the albums following seemed to be sleepy, uninspired, meandering.
    This DVD performance was absolutely astounding. It certainly serves as a reminder that Sting is a tremendous talent. The backing band is one of the best I've yet heard. The jazz spin on some of his pop songs made more of those songs than I could have imagined. Quite simply, a musical masterpiece.
    I firmly believe that this will be one of my favorite live performances on DVD for many years to come. Yes, I love Diana Krall Live in Paris, but All This Time is one of the most inspired and inspiring concerts I have ever seen.

Unconditionally recommended for all pop/jazz fans.

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would reccomend that you check out the "Brand New Day" tour dvd recorded live from the Universal Amphitheatre aswell mate if you havn't allready...

Obviously it dosn't have the same emotional surroundings as the September 11th concert has... but from a purely musical standpoint I found it very good indeed.

18 tracks of old and new songs with a couple of great guests coming on to play along with him, great stuff... but I have to admit, it was so much better being there as I was lucky enough to catch it live when he came round to my neck of the woods...

3. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Nelgan,
    I know you prefer 2 ch. music but if you like Sting's
    work, give Brand New Day 5.1 dts cd a try. Although it's
    quite an an aggresive mix at times, it's one of the best
    5.1 titles I've heared. It was mixed by Elliot Scheiner who,
    IMO, is one of the better engineers when it comes to 5.1 mixes.

Iain,
    I think I saw that concert on VH1 a while back. Is it the one
    with the set that looks like a garden center?

4. Nelgan

Nelgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one with a set that looks like a garden center is All This Time. It was recorded in the courtyard at his mansion in Italy. Beautiful setting.

5. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got this DVD yet but I will as I'm a big sting fan. I have the Soul Cages concert on laserdisc and that is superb and also Ten Summoners Tales on laserdisc (my favourite) Just hope they release these older ones on DVD sometime, although it sounds great on laserdisc as it's uncompressed 2ch.

6. Nelgan

Nelgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen the Soul Cages on DVD, but I would buy it in an instant if it came out.