Still worth getting a Pioneer Kuro or wait for new Panny's?

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Always wanted a Kuro and think I can lay my hands on a new boxed model (not cheap £2300) - up until now I was content to wait for the new Panny Kuros to come out, what do you guys think... will the newer sets be better or it the Pioneer still going to be the benchmark?

Jon P

won't be long before Phil hinton gets his hands on them for review.I'd guess the Pioneers processing will be better but by all accounts black level is the same but then again I wasn't expecting Pioneer black levels until at least next year so what do I know :)

Last edited:

Silverblack

Always wanted a Kuro and think I can lay my hands on a new boxed model (not cheap £2300) - up until now I was content to wait for the new Panny Kuros to come out, what do you guys think... will the newer sets be better or it the Pioneer still going to be the benchmark?
if i was in your shoes and was able to get my hands on a kuro i would without a shadow of a doubt be going for the pioneer.

don't get me wrong i'm sure the new panasonics will be good i just feel that pioneer set the benchmark pretty high in delivering what i think is a highend tv which as i'm sure you know has received numerous accolades for its black level and picture performance. and i personally think that it will still take some beating.

only you can really decide and i'm sure whatever you do will be the right choice.

The Snake

Banned
As a Kuro owner I love the TV, and at £2.3K for new its a reasonable price in many ways, its a tough call as the Pannys are an unknown in many respects and no one knows what 3D will be like, if 3D takes off the Kuro will soon be yesterdays technology, but that could take a while.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
The Kuros were good but the ISF'ers don't regard them that hight in shadow detail.
I would definately wait.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
No interest in the 3D aspect of the new sets though.

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! We now know that the 2010 Pannys will have some element of Kuro tech to boost their performance which is great. The problem is no one knows exactly how much - it could be anything from a minor amount to a large. Considering how little time Panny would have had to integrate any Kuro tech, many would argue that it would be minor rather than major but again, no one knows.

At least with the Pioneer, you can rest assured you are getting a 100% Kuro tech with no compromise in that area. Yes, you will miss out on 3D but with the extremely limited 3D content out there movie wise at the moment, it will take a few years before that changes. By then, Panasonic will have had plenty of time to integrate not only current Kuro tech but that which was in the pipeline as well along with their own R&D stuff - which to me will be the true successor of the Kuro legacy. (I guesstimate this will be around 21012/2013). This way, you can have the best of both worlds both then & now.

Suave!

NewfieDrool

Banned
3D is a bonus, faster phosphurs, 120hz, better processing all benefit a 2D image
Don't forget the free of charge black level drop feature. I bet that helps no end in 3D:smashin:

Kuros are pretty good and by the sounds of it will be for a fair while.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Pannys will have some element of Kuro tech to boost their performance which is great. The problem is no one knows exactly how much - it could be anything from a minor amount to a large.Suave!

It has been said they have some tech but will have full Kuro tech in the 2011 models.

NewfieDrool

Banned
If their new range has this black level problem all reviews and tests will mean nothing apart from the condition of the tv as new when reviewed.
Regardless of the Kuro tech added to their range this underline problem would be a concern if I was thinking of parting with my cash.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Gotta make my choice this week or I risk missing out on the Kuro (got it save but gotta find the 2.3K first!)

Worth the risk getting the older tv?

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Probably didn't phrase it too well - I always wanted a Kuro... but wondering now is it best to get newer technology (or as new as I can afford) had my current screen for 5yrs now and I do fancy a change.

Tough to now how good the new Panny's will be though... and I think the Kuro will still be a very good set this year and next...

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
For the sake of playing Devils Advocate. Do you think its possible the market could be flooded with 2nd hand Kuros when everyone sees how good the 2010 Panasonics are ?

:devil:

longy

I very much doubt it with all the issues of blacks rising on the 12gs and now panasonic say the blacks will rise on the 13gs

Quite frankly i woudn't touch these tvs with a barge pole
panasonic should be ashamed of themselves.:mad:

NewfieDrool

Banned
I very much doubt it with all the issues of blacks rising on the 12gs and now panasonic say the blacks will rise on the 13gs

Quite frankly i woudn't touch these tvs with a barge pole
panasonic should be ashamed of themselves.:mad:
I'm afraid I'm thinking the same. There do seem to be issues at for that reason.
Panasonic you are the weekest link....goodbye.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I think there will be a fix for the black level issue, so I am not concerned. My panny is 5 years old and the black levels are pretty good, I haven't noticed them getting any worse.

Last edited:

Junk_collector

Novice Member
Its possible Samsung and LG 2010 LED could pose a bigger threat to Panasonic/Kuro plasma.
We will have to wait and see.......exciting times ahead!

Number 6

Distinguished Member
For the record the black levels look fine to me on my 5 yr old PV500 (the same as Jazz Monkey Jr).

Pretty sure I'm going for the Kuro.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
For the record the black levels look fine to me on my 5 yr old PV500 (the same as Jazz Monkey Jr).

Kuro Kuro or VT25 Kuro?

Chippy99

if i was in your shoes and was able to get my hands on a kuro i would without a shadow of a doubt be going for the pioneer.

don't get me wrong i'm sure the new panasonics will be good i just feel that pioneer set the benchmark pretty high in delivering what i think is a highend tv...
If ONLY it didn't buzz so much :-(

I love my Kuro, but I do find the buzzing quite intrusive compared to my Panny PF11 pro panel. On drive mode 2 and eco mode 2 the buzz is just "annoying", but in any other modes it's unusable for me.

If I could get a Panasonic with Pioneer black levels, I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Chippy99

Honestly, you have never seen black until you see it on a Pio Kuro. I loved the black levels on my previous Panasonics and would never buy another brand because of that. But when I got my Kuro 500A and set it up in my own living room (as opposed to a quick glance in an ill-lit shop) honestly I was gobsmacked at how black it goes. It really is in a different league to anything else.

Number 6

Distinguished Member