Still worth buying Anthem MRX510/710?

dobmob

Standard Member
Hi

My Arcam has finally died and although I like the sound of the 2nd gen Anthems, I was holding off for the new range. Now more details are out I'm not sure I need most of the new features: I have a Kuro 428XD so 4k is of no interest, no way I'll be allowed height speakers so Atmos/DTS-X is out. Given that I'll still be running a 5.1 system (with biamped fronts) I don't really see the point in stumping up the extra cash beyond future-proofing and I don't think that alone is enough to warrant it. Only the new version of ARC seems to give me anything, and possibly that will become available for the x10s as well?

I gather there have been a few issues with the 2nd gen, but are they enough to have put owners off the x10 range entirely? From those who have owned a 510 or 710 are you still happy with your purchase a couple of years down the line?

Cheers

Violator

510 here. Quite happy at the moment. I've no plans to go down the Atmos route myself, and now I'm using a PA as well as 5.1 only, it's a fantastic sound :)

garrynic

Hi

My Arcam has finally died and although I like the sound of the 2nd gen Anthems, I was holding off for the new range. Now more details are out I'm not sure I need most of the new features: I have a Kuro 428XD so 4k is of no interest, no way I'll be allowed height speakers so Atmos/DTS-X is out. Given that I'll still be running a 5.1 system (with biamped fronts) I don't really see the point in stumping up the extra cash beyond future-proofing and I don't think that alone is enough to warrant it. Only the new version of ARC seems to give me anything, and possibly that will become available for the x10s as well?

I gather there have been a few issues with the 2nd gen, but are they enough to have put owners off the x10 range entirely? From those who have owned a 510 or 710 are you still happy with your purchase a couple of years down the line?

Cheers
Hi I don't know what Arcam you had. But I recently had a AVR600, it was a great amp especially for music playback. I heard so many good things about Anthem that I decided to buy a used MRX700 and I can honestly say that the difference was night and day for movies, especially while running Anthems arc room correction. If only wanting 5.1 you could save yourself a considerable amount of cash going for the00 series opposed to the 10 series.
Cheers
Garry

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I left the 710 for a Denon X7200 and frankly prefer the Denon because it can do so much more. Sound wise it's about the same. So if you aren't interested in Atmos etc... then the 710 is unlikely to let you down. Never had any reliabity issue with mine but depends on the speakers and volumes etc...

davisa

Moved from an Arcam 280 to an Anthem 510.

Still very, very happy. So much better for movies, television and music. ARC really is excellent.

The only problem I have is that Anthem seem to have abandoned us 510 owners as there is not a clear upgrade path to the x20 series. The 520 is an upgrade to the 310, not the 510.

sanjualf

If you are not interested in Atmos and only 5.1 then the Anthem is going to give you great performance

I am in the same boat as not needing atmos for atleast another few years (and will be happy with 5.1)and feel the new price for 520 without it a bit too much to stomach. But how about 4K video if you go for the older ones (310/510) will we be missing much as I will likely get a 4K tv soon, as the older ones I believe don't have HDMI2 and HDCP2.2??

Andrew K

Banned
I am in the same boat as not needing atmos for atleast another few years (and will be happy with 5.1)and feel the new price for 520 without it a bit too much to stomach. But how about 4K video if you go for the older ones (310/510) will we be missing much as I will likely get a 4K tv soon, as the older ones I believe don't have HDMI2 and HDCP2.2??
They don't but the future blu ray player that will have it will also have two hdmi outputs, one to the TV for hdcp2.2 and the other can go to the AVR for audio

potshot

The new anthem carry a high premier price for atmos and HDCP2.2. The company are pulling a fast on their customers to con them out of £800 for a small upgrade. With anthems pricing tricks I will buy off a different manufacture. You will find the same amps and dacs in the new anthems as are found in the MRX510, they have different processors but only for the reason the atmos amp has quad cores processors what cost pennies over the tri core processor.

If you what 5.1 or 7.1 sound than the MRX510 will sound as good as the new amps, why, because they are almost identical bar from the processors.

Last edited:

dobmob

Standard Member
Thanks Cassey - Rochdale's a bit far and I'd prefer to get a full warranty, but I'll think about it

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom