1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Undecided !!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by swanny78, Apr 19, 2005.

1. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi All,

Im looking tp purchase a lcd screen in the near future. Ive narrowed it down to the:

H&B 32000B 32inch LCD or the Relisys 32" RLT3200, both as far as I can see are HDCP compatible for Sky HDTV when it comes out. Im also looking to plug in my JVC THS51 Surround Sound kit via Pal Progressive playback so not fussed about audio quality on the screen.

Anyway any advice on which to get would be much appriciated..

regards

mark swan :thumbsup:

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The H&B hasnt had very good reviews, and despite the fact it looks very similar to the Relisys panel, they are different i believe. (25ms on the H&B vs 18ms on the Relisys)

The Hitachi 32LD7200 may be worth a look too at around £1200. Fully HDTV ready, detachable speakers, motorised swivel stand etc etc. Theres a couple of threads on here about it you may want to read, but info is pretty scarce at the moment as its only just been released.

3. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Excellent just taken a look at the Hitachi, looks very good. The other threads on here seem to praise it aswell, now seriously considering that one. Thanks

4. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey swanny, Im also considering the Hitachi, Im just waiting to hear some opinions from the forum and web reviews. The spec is fantastic, but the PQ and the response time (Ive not seen any figures) may suffer as a result.

5. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is a thread on here that discusses response times amongst other stuff

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202725

He basicallys says 16ms, but with the overdrive technology its resultant is about 8ms....take a look at the above thread it gives some more info there, im sure that will sway you.

Its all Good....

6. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Me too undecided (7 Months now) not sure if these forums help or hinder in decision making, anyway agreed the Hitach looks very special, but can't help wondering what the PQ on the new Humax 32" is like, with its twin Freeview Digital Tuners + 1 analogue, built in Hard Drive, PVR capabilities, USB2 and DVI (HDCP) all for less than £1500 @ scan.co.uk, it sure is tempting. Will have to wait for a review I suppose.

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think these forums can make you worry too much about making a purchase.

I can't wait to hear some reviews on the Hitachi, and the Humax sounds interesting, but I don't think it matches my desired spec.

8. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Definately, they make you second guess everything, and for an indecisive person like myself, can turn into a nightmare. But then again, if you were none the wiser and just went and bought one from a shop, you could well end up out of pocket and disappointed. At least trawling through endless posts on here and doing as much research as possible, you will ultimately end up with a better TV/DVD/Amp etc for your money.

The Humax looks very interesting, and is another one ive been following since its announcment, but the 26" versions got slated so im not holding out much hope.

9. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Just to expand the 32" LCD choice further I noticed that Digi UK are advertising the Samsung LE32A41B for £899 delivered. This model has DVI (HDCP) 16ms RT 1366 res and in my opinion looks fanatastic, I saw one in the flesh a few weeks ago, impressed with the PQ as well. I personally would pick this model above the H&B and Relisys.

BTW: I called Digi UK and there Out of Stock not expected until early May.

10. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a review in What Widescreen Plasma & LCD TV (or soemthing like that) - I browsed it in Smiths in my lunch hour today. The Humax got 4 stars - seems PQ let it down a little. Can't remember details of the review as I only skimmed it very quickly.

11. bfinteractive

bfinteractive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just taken delivery of the Hitachi 32" PD7200 and its superb! Lovely gloss black surround plus motorised stand. Crystal clear image also

12. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey bfinteractive, if youve got the time (and if you can draw yourself away from the new TV) could you let us know how the Hitachi performs? Maybe a brief review? e.g. where did you order from, what sort of setup youre using it with, etc.

I bet the motorised stand is fun to play with!

13. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes that would be good, look forward to that bfinteractive ! Im glad to hear at least the Hitachi looks good, lets be honest thats pretty important but am interested in PQ and if the overdrive feature makes a difference.

14. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at :

http://www.digiuk.com

as I'm interested in the new Samsung models myself and discovered

that the model advertised for £899 is the SamsungLE32A41BX

which is not one of the new ones being released .

Anyway I'm looking forward to hearing how these new sets compare

to the older models.

15. J_Mids

J_Mids
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

My first post here, ive been watching the chatter since i stumbled across this new Hitachi and then shortly after AV Forums.... :D

Would be great to hear from bfinteractive or anyone else that actually has this panel. :lease:

Any extra pics, what is the remote control like?? plastic or metal? quality looking / feel?

Whats the PQ like through the standard RF connection? I dont have sky yet or a DVD recorder with HD, just trying to future proof as much as possible, been without a tv now for about 7 months. :-(

Has anyone linked up a PC yet to it and what's that like?

I suppose the motorised stand is confined just to the stand, no benefit or interaction with the wall mounting bracket if you remove the stand? Is the stand contollable from the remote?

What are the onscreen menus like? Do they look modern or like they've been designed on a zx81??? Are there plenty of tweaks?

Whats the best price people have found, shame about cheap electricals that was where i first found this model, has anyone spoken to them, know if there getting anymore, i noticed all mention of hitachi has been removed from their site, perhaps they got their knuckles wrapped for selling too cheap...

Anyone know if a manual is available online, or anyone kind enough to scan theres?

Look forward to additional posts, I'm hoping this is going to finally be the one that persuades me to purchase, since i was wholly disatisfied with panasonic when i liked their 32" lcd but discovered the US got the HDMI model and we didnt, so hats off to Hitachi for being one of the first to bring a HDMI model to our market... :clap:

J_mids

16. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  17. J_Mids

J_Mids
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks swanny78, it looks good but it was the product manual that i've been keeping an eye out for...

The cheapest ive seen it for so far is @ TV & Video Direct from £1237.53 (including variable delivery charge). More expensive than Cheap Electricals but they do offer 6 months interest free credit with no deposit!

Anyone done any better??

J_mids

18. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  19. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  20. J_Mids

J_Mids
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tips guys, pondering for the right deal, if 'Cheap Electricals' were able to do it for cheaper, im sure some of these bigger players will come up with a good deal eventually...

And by that i dont mean Comet or Curry's im still waiting to have a laugh at their launch prices when they finally get some new stock in... :boring:

One thing i didnt really understand on that brochure you mentioned was the reference to 'Progressive Processing system up-scales incoming signals'? I'm not sure if i read somewhere whether this is a good or a bad thing? I keep seeing people referring to 1:1 as if the signal should map to the pixels on a 1:1 basis. Therefore does that mean this Hitachi isnt that good, as it up-scales?

The other thing that occurred to me is that I would really like a decent recordable DVD / hard disk unit and discovered that Hitachi dont do these, which is a shame, because i think it is better to have both items in the same make, (a) it looks better, and (b) the remote for the telly usually operates the DVD. In fact scrub that, what would be refreshing would be the above but with a set top box inside aswell, minimal number of boxes. No point gettin rid of a CRT and saving space if you still have two or three boxes that sat under the CRT to find an alternative location for, in my opinion. :D

I really liked the top of the range Panasonic DVD / Hard Disk recorder but not so keen on their range of LCD's and the fact that even this DVD recorder at over a grand when it launched still didnt have HDMI. :thumbsdow

Just holding on in hope of a decent combo.

21. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As its in the brochure and been used as a sellin point im assumin that "'Progressive Processing system up-scales incoming signals" is a good thing...i must admit I don't even know what it really means. Just need someone out there who has bought it to give us a honest review.

22. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That's it guys just ordered the Hitachi...Eveyone who has got it so far can not say enough good things about it. Few issues getting 1:1 ration at full res on a PC, but other threads have addressed that. Taking delivery end of next week from www.unbeatable.co.uk very good price. Watch this space for a review.

23. J_Mids

J_Mids
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Look forward to the review Swanny78, will you be hooking it up to a standard RF signal or do you have cable?

24. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  25. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just heard from Unbeatable that Hitachi won't have them in stock untill 23rd May, ill have to wait now....Damn !!!!! Watch this space.

26. StormReflex

StormReflex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Why are you using a Scart as opposed to S-VIDEO, I thought SVid was better quality ??

27. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No S-Video is inferior compared to RGB enabled Scart. RGB enabled Scart is one of the best analogue outputs for video , second only to component video. In order...

1. Component Video
    2. RGB Scart
    3. Scart (S-Video) Can also get small round s-video plugs essentially the same Vid.Output tho')
    4. Composite Video (The yellow phono style plug)

28. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Right got an update......yes still waiting for my TV from unbeatable.co.uk. I rang futurhome.co.uk out of interest as they have them in stock, they tell me that they have had 4 deliveries in the past 4 weeks...no problems. So begs the question why unbeatable have not had 1 in the 6 weeks ive been waiting. Ive asked them and there going away to find out why they have been left behind by Hitachi. Watch this space...again

29. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've found unbeatable.co.uk to be completely, absolutely, 100%, utterly rubbish. I've only used them once (for some Denon equipment) and after weeks of "we're expecting stock soon, sir" I cancelled the order. Went to Superfi and got it in a couple of days!

I got my Hitachi from Digital Direct. Used them a number of times and have only ever had great service.

30. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'll see what their response is, if its not up to scratch ill cancel I think and go to futurehome....back to square 1.