1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(still) planning to buy s/h AV int. amp/rec

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ditton15, Feb 4, 2003.

1. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a posting to attract attention, and in some cases to offer explanation, to those selling AV amp/receivers. Just to let you know that I am thinking of making you an offer. I am in discussion with one seller at present.

I wasn't sure whether to post it on 'sales' or under 'AV amps/receivers'

Never sure whether I should bore others with provide background on why I want to buy, but since this type of info has helped me, I do so anyway.

I bought a Denon AVR1602 as entry 5.1 (inc DPL2) m/c, was/am content with its HC capabilities for my limited domestic use, discovered I wanted more 'musicality', solved that by buying good s/h stereo amp (first AudioLab 8000A, then 8000S), having discovered that I didn't have pre-outs on AVR1602, implemented a GaryG-inspired 'lash-up' (of attenuator between AVR1602's front speaker outs and stereo amp to which front speakers are attached (for analogue use). With me so far?

Overall longer term plan, inspired by the usual gang (you know who you are :p ) is to go the AV processor route, but not yet ready to make the (financial) leap. So, am looking out for a 'bargain' replacement for the AVR1602, one that has the pre-outs and DPL2, or equivalent. As to watts output, I never got anyway near more than part way use of 65Ws, so despite, no doubt good advice that I should have lots of watts, I'll save that for the longer term power amp plan.

I want this for HC, not for music duties. One option is to get a s/h or clearance-sale Mara 4200 or Yammy 630. Another is to stick with Denon, but then is it the 1802, 2802 or even the 3802 which is now becoming available s/h in numbers and with falling prices.

Clearly more cash would buy better stuff: a s/h Denon 3802 or a s/h Mara 6300 would command more than the others. But should I resist feature creep and go for one of those cheaper-but-good others?

comments (& offers) welcome

ditton

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ditton

You've not commented on the 8000S, was it a successful upgrade?

3. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi ditton,

Is this of interest?

D.

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DavidR - I would like DPL2 or similar for signal from TeleWest cable TV. Not essential but I like. I do sometime travel by York on the train though I note the hernia-inducing weight of the beast you have on offer - at bargain price I admit.

GaryG - I have had a friend check out the 8000S and have sent my cheque but await delivery - I'll certainly let you know when I raise a glass in sonic thanks.

ditton

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy, don't think I was ignoring you. In fact this posting began its life as an unsent PM I was drafting to send you. But as you can see, I wasn't thinking of so much dosh/features - indeed, I was once looking to buy a 5200 for a lot less and just pounced on the denon 1602 when it came up as clearance.

ditton

ps I hav also been eyeing up a s/h denon 2802 for a lot less than your price - though I admit your's has the features ... but that's the question.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ditton, I think it's always sensible to take into account the re-sale value of whatever you buy - and this is where the features are important - even if you're not going to use them. The Denon 2802 value will continue to fall quite dramatically as it's an old Amp now - still a very good one though. The sr6300 is the latest in the Marantz range and should continue to hold it's value well over the next year. I think it's selling new for around £480. To all intents and purposes, mine is new and you will have the original receipt. I am willing to go to £380 all in inc. p&p. I can't hang around long though as I'm trying to secure a different receiver myself :(.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Going for as cheap as you can get with PLII, then saving as many of your pennies as possible for a processor and power amp seems a reasonable way to go.

You can also doing it this way then get say the power amp before the processor and hand it off the av amp so you can again upgrade a bit at a time and only then after you have all the other bits shell out for the processor.

One of those Marantz 4200 jobbies from the dreaded RS at £199, or even less second hand I presume, seems a good compromise to me.

Steff

9. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just read from another, older thread:
    "With the SR 7300, you can chose between 80, 100 and 120 Hz, with the SR 6300, it's fixed to 100Hz. ...when... you want the Velodyne to take over the lower frequencies, the setting of 100Hz is simply too high in my ears. The sub has to play up to 100Hz, and the 602s are cut off at that frequency. The setting of 80Hz should provide a more balanced sound, the sub taking over at 80Hz isn't that notable any more as it would be with 100Hz."

I dont have a sub yet but plan to buy one. Is the above advice sensible? Is there also a problem with the Denon 2802, or 3802? I am assuming that the SR4200 would also be 'fixed'.

there's always something ....

ditton

10. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The sr 6300 is indded fixed at 100Hz, as is the rest of the Marantz range until you get to the sr7300. This is only likely to be a problem depending upon you choice of speakers, i.e., will they go down below 100Hz successfully. With most mico Sub/Sat packages, the sats will go down to 90Hz or 80Hz at most. A crossover of 100Hz on the Amp is unlikely to make much of a difference in this area.

However, the Denon 2802 and 3802 do have variable crossovers on the Amp and you can set them to 80Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz if you wish. As such, they are the more flexible choice. It's not a huge problem though or Marantz wouldn't fix all their crossovers at 100Hz.

11. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the straight answer Groundy.

d.

ps back to the film (comfort break :blush: )