Still pictures from DVD.

thyde9337

Standard Member
Reaction score
My question is vaguely related to video processing. I want to copy some still images from video in order to make labels for the DVDs of the family that I am making. In the past, (since 1994), I have transferred a lot of DV films from my video camera(s) to VCR tapes and now to DVD. I can easily capture still images from the DV tapes but my earlier DV tapes have been over-recorded because the earlier tapes were quite expensive. Now I store the tapes as I make the pictures, including all of the faults, and so I can make still images from those if I wish.

I have the following software installed, Pinnacle Studio 8 and Moviemaker but they do not recognise ".VOB", files although they do have means of recording still images from DV tapes. I also have PowerDVD which will play my home-made DVDs but this does not seem to have any means of recording still images. Please can anyone suggest some method of obtaining still pictures?

T.Hyde
:lease:

Have you tried renaming the VOB files as .mpg and loading them to the timeline ?

If not you could always use program like DVD2AVI to convert them to file format your NLE can handle.

To Vonhosen. Thanks for your quick reply. I have just managed to work out a round-about way to obtain the stills that I wanted. I play the DVD output through audio/video-out sockets on the DVD Recorder to the DV camcorder, which acts as a VCR. This can then be stored on the PC using the DV output through a firewire connection. My equipment is a Panasonic NV-GS70 DV camcorder and a Panasonic DVD-Recorder DMR-E55EB. The pictures are not of good quality but are sufficient for my purposes. My first camcorder was a Sharp Handicam (analogue) which did not produce very good pictures anyway. I shall use the stills to print a series of thumbnails on the sleeves of the DVD cases which show how my grandchildren are growing.

T.Hyde :thumbsup:

vonhosen said:
Have you tried renaming the VOB files as .mpg and loading them to the timeline ?

If not you could always use program like DVD2AVI to convert them to file format your NLE can handle.

To Vonhosen. Since my second posting I have tried your suggestion of renaming the files - Microsoft Musicmaker made no complaints but Pinnacle Studio 8 does not seem to like .mpg files. Thanks for the advice.

T.Hyde
:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom