• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Still pictures from DVD.

thyde9337

Standard Member
My question is vaguely related to video processing. I want to copy some still images from video in order to make labels for the DVDs of the family that I am making. In the past, (since 1994), I have transferred a lot of DV films from my video camera(s) to VCR tapes and now to DVD. I can easily capture still images from the DV tapes but my earlier DV tapes have been over-recorded because the earlier tapes were quite expensive. Now I store the tapes as I make the pictures, including all of the faults, and so I can make still images from those if I wish.

I have the following software installed, Pinnacle Studio 8 and Moviemaker but they do not recognise ".VOB", files although they do have means of recording still images from DV tapes. I also have PowerDVD which will play my home-made DVDs but this does not seem to have any means of recording still images. Please can anyone suggest some method of obtaining still pictures?

T.Hyde
:lease:

vonhosen

Established Member
Have you tried renaming the VOB files as .mpg and loading them to the timeline ?

If not you could always use program like DVD2AVI to convert them to file format your NLE can handle.

thyde9337

Standard Member
To Vonhosen. Thanks for your quick reply. I have just managed to work out a round-about way to obtain the stills that I wanted. I play the DVD output through audio/video-out sockets on the DVD Recorder to the DV camcorder, which acts as a VCR. This can then be stored on the PC using the DV output through a firewire connection. My equipment is a Panasonic NV-GS70 DV camcorder and a Panasonic DVD-Recorder DMR-E55EB. The pictures are not of good quality but are sufficient for my purposes. My first camcorder was a Sharp Handicam (analogue) which did not produce very good pictures anyway. I shall use the stills to print a series of thumbnails on the sleeves of the DVD cases which show how my grandchildren are growing.

T.Hyde :thumbsup:

thyde9337

Standard Member
vonhosen said:
Have you tried renaming the VOB files as .mpg and loading them to the timeline ?

If not you could always use program like DVD2AVI to convert them to file format your NLE can handle.

To Vonhosen. Since my second posting I have tried your suggestion of renaming the files - Microsoft Musicmaker made no complaints but Pinnacle Studio 8 does not seem to like .mpg files. Thanks for the advice.

T.Hyde
:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom