1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

still not happy.. need some advice..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chrisgeary, Jan 28, 2004.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    so my dynaudios have allegedly bedded in now and they still sound harsh, mostly above -15db. i have some really nice kit now (i think) but they have always sounded harsh to my ears even when i didnt have the 505s driving them or the 561. in fact, in some ways the upgraded kit has accentuated the problem. its possible its just amps running out of steam, but i cant afford to throw keep throwing money at this problem and really the 505s ought to have plenty of power for the sensitivity of the speakers and the size of room they are in. so its bringing me to the conclusion that i just need speakers with a different sound and probably slightly more sensitivity.

your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help me choose which speakers i should put on my audition list.

check my sig for the kit list, key differences at the moment are the 3803 is NOT in play, i have a meridian 561 on dem doing processing. all interconnects are gold plated RCAs with OFC copper cable with silver soldering. my room is about 5m long x 3m wide x 2.5m high.

my old B&W DM620s are much less fatiguing to listen to, but they don't image and do anything else right, but perhaps B&W is a good first entry on the list... any others? I would be looking to sell my dynaudios and I guess I would have about £800 from the sale of them to spend on the three replacement front speakers.

2. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dynaudio harsh, I dont like them because I find them too soft... :eek:

I would check everything else before replacing them... :lesson:

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    this is what i can't understand.. nobody else thinks they are harsh. i am scratching my head. my dealer says its speaker cable.. he recommends QED XT400 at £17/m. i just can't believe cable can make THAT much difference!

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dynaudios are not easy to drive, are they harsh at high volumes... :confused:

Could be your mains, too much RF, who knows...

5. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    yeah it gets worse at high volumes (over 85/90db) but its not as smooth as i would like at lower volumes.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Chris
    Why dont you take your speakers to your hifi dealers and try them on some different amps cables iam sure they wouldnt mind then you may know for sure what the problem is.
    Cheers Gonzo.

7. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris,

I have Dynaudios (Contour 1.8's, Audience 122C and 40's) driven by Meridian 568 and Myryad Power Amps. Not too different from your set-up. I experienced similar problems to yours using Chord Odyssey speaker cable and Chord Interconnects (all silver plated).

I ended up changing to Ecosse speaker cable (copper) and Van Den Hul Interconnects. Cured the problem completely!!

Never believed that cables would make that much that difference, but they did. Being a sceptic, I tried going back to the old cables, changing one at a time. Problem returned and got worse as each cable was added. Now I'm happy with the new cables and haven't noticed any problems since I made the change over 3 months ago.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Steve

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    none of my cable/interconnects are silver - they are all copper. i will try the ecosse cable, however the line level interconnects between my 561 and 505s are about 7m per channel - obviously i can't realistically do that with van den hul - would i be better off moving the 505s nearer the 561 and then running longer lengths of ecosse to the speakers and shorter (more cost effective) runs of van den hul between the pre and power amps?

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe those long ICs are picking a lot of rubish, try moving everything closer to see if the harshness is still there... :rolleyes:

10. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris,

It's definitely worth trying the 505's closer to the 561. BTW, I'm not suggesting that copper is better or worse than silver as a conductor. I was simply pointing out that it my case cables made a very noticeable difference. For example, I have friends who use Chord Odyssey cable in their systems without any brightness problems at all. I guess it's good ol' "system synergy" again!! :rolleyes:

11. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    steve what vertion of ecosse speaker cable is it you are using please.

i had dem of da 62 tuesday chord speaker cable was used +ixos 1o1 i/c was used cant say speakers sounded that harsh but they were placed approx 8ft apart i was sitting central.

at home because of room furnishings ,space etc the right hand speaker sits facing me ,so "fires straight at me and makes some music too bright detailed,same as cdm1nts i had"

i am at the moment using silver anniversery cable, dnm bullit plug i/c or could use dnm speaker cable .

asked dealers advice should i use sa/or dnm answer both a tad "revealing for dyns suggested vdh i/c to try first ,but i do not play at loud volumes and at the mo only using 3802 av rather than good kit
    thank you