1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Need Help With DVD Time Issue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fhs45, Feb 6, 2005.

1. fhs45

fhs45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I'd repost this. I really need some advice.

I need some help. I've tried a lot of sources with no luck, so I'm hoping for some help here. I own a LiteOn DVD Recorder, model LVW-5101. I'm very confused about the editing process, probably because I have very little experience with DVD recorders.

Let's say I'm recording a basketball game. I'm using DVD+RW discs and I'm recording on EP (4 hour speed). I'm not home to stop the recording at the end of the game. The game ends after 2 hours and five minutes, but I don't shut off the recording until after 3 hours and 15 minutes. I go and delete the hour and 10 minutes of video after the game, thinking that that should leave me one hour and 55 minutes of recording time to put new material on the disc. When I check how much recordable time is left, the disc shows that I only have 45 minutes, like I never erased the video I didn't need.

I feel like I'm wasting disc space because I should have four hours to record, but I fall short every time. On this disc, I would only have two hours and 50 minutes of video and then it "tells" me that the disc is full.

Please help me. I'm really new at this, but I have almost 20 years of sports videos that I'm transferring to DVD.

Thanks!

Todd

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Space used by deleted recordings, or part thereof, cannot be recovered on the Liteon using DVD+RW discs until you re-format/re-initilise the disc. It's not really a waste - DVDR discs are quite cheap!

3. fhs45

fhs45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay...just to make sure I understand (remember, I have no experience)...re-formatting would mean I would lose what I've already recorded, right?

Is recovering space used by deleted recordings possible with other machines or is this a universal situation and it wouldn't matter which brand I'd use?

Thanks for your help.

Todd

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    That is correct.

Yes. All DVD-RAM recorders and some DVD-RW VR mode recorders.

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is that true for the Liteon? I hadn't heard that before...

Normally with a +RW machine (excepting the Sonys of course) you can reclaim space recovered by deleting things after the first title, including a divide followed by a delete of the created second title.

The scenario you describe could also happen when you have a generalised 'SP' setting for the recorder, but have temporarily over-ridden that with the LP mode for the recording. After you finish editing, the recorder might show the remaining time according to the global 'SP' setting.

But here I am talking Philips again.. ;)

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yeah the LiteOn has some 'custom' implementations of DVDR (+ and -) technology. What goes for main brands doesn't necessarily apply on the Liteon.

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmmm... I see - thanks. I'd heard they were idiosyncratic, but not to that extent...

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And Philips +R recorders

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    With some severe limitations. For example deleting an advert break in the middle of a recoridng will NOT recover that space....