Still have the speakers, now got the new-2-me amp, now for some sub advice please :)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nero0410, Jan 15, 2008.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Well as title really. My current sub is a gale storm, so after somthing better than that (which would probably be about anything :))

I was thinking of upgrading my speakers, but was suggested on the speaker forum to try a new amp.

Went to the amp forum and classifieds and ended getting a Yamaha dsp-ax750se,
    Now after advice for getting a half decent second hand sub for around £70 inc del. (my current sub is a gale storm which was £70 new, so obviously the quality isnt amazingly great, and starting to sound like its snoring compared to my other speakers)

I did see a paradigm sub go for around £45 in the classifieds, not sure what they are like though, and seen this ugly thing on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mordaunt-Shor...ryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any ideas on where best to start? and what I should be looking for?

EDIT2:Only for films really (95% of the time)

Also what should the specs of a sub be (frequency response etc....), as it is goning to be for the LFE in films etc having all my speakers set to small?
    Amp is set to crossover at 80hz, if you can see what I'm getting at

Would somthing like a paradigm 8/10 or similar do the trick?

:lease:advise

Thanks again

tris

EDIT1: PS I only live in a GF council flat

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Anyone?:cool:

tris

3. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Would there be a different subwoofer speaker I could put inside the gale easily? (ie just unscrew the old one and put another one in its place and solder the + and - from the new one in) or would the caseing need to be different too?

Or would I do better just streatching my budget for a second hand one up to about £100 (just seen a forum members home made svs go for £100 on the classifieds

Just an thought
    wouldnt be able to solder myself, but the old dot used to make pcbs :)

tris