1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still got seleco 400ht image problems, HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stubied, Sep 22, 2005.

1. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Ive posted a few times on this forum and have had plenty of good advice but I'm still having trouble with the image through RGBHV 32Khz.
    Having purchased secondhand HD6 glass lenses and an Iscan pro scaler the image is still better through an RGB scart-rgbhv 15.2Khz input. :confused:
    The image is far sharper and theres not as much of a problem with the streaking to the right of objects as seen in the attached images.(Sorry about the quality again as Im using a miniDV camcorder.)
    Since fitting the lenses its scanline city on the 15Khz input fullscreen, which isnt too bad when squeezed to 16:9, but the image is sharp whatever. Swap to 32Khz through the Iscan and the image noticeably defocuses. Ive tried adjusting the focus pots and lenses on numerous occasions but to no avail.
    Any more help as regards the streaking or the focus issue would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
    The images are from the end scene of alien v predator. The streaking is to the right of the ship lighting but with a few inches gap before the streak begins and it stretches 10-12 inches almost like a shadow effect. Brightly lit faces in dark scenes are especially bad for a 'halo' effect to the right of the image.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I've been thinking about this for some time. You've had the streaking effect since you got the projector back in October '04(?). At that time you were running with the internal line doubler. Now you've got an iScan and the problem is still there. So, that rules out any issue with the iScan to projector connection or the iScan doubler itself.

Streaking is usually attributed to the tube base boards. I've seen mild cases of this with Seleco 400's, but never something quite so severe. The other puzzle is the significant softening of the image in progressive modes, but we'll discuss that more later.

I normally try to eliminate other possible causes before looking into the projector itself. Have you tried alternative sources and different methods of connection? What happens if you connect DVD to the projector via composite, S-video and RGB in turn? How about satellite/cable/freeview and any other sources.

On to the softening. I've used iScans with 400s very successfully in the past. A line-doubled image will look softer in comparison to the very coarse image at 15kHz, but the detail should still be there. If you have AVIA or a Video Essentials disc you should be able to make out horizontal detail in the line resolution charts well past 450 lines, and with glass lenses you should even get some faint detail in the 6.75MHz zone provided the tubes are up to it.

What is your screen width and the projection distance? Are you using a 75 Ohm cable from the iScan to the pj? When you swapped the lenses did you notice the condition of the tubes and if there was any fungus present? A lot of questions I know, but there could be a number of causes for your problems and all this background info is helpful.

Regards

3. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    If its any help to you I have a spares only SVP 400HT (no tubes or lenses) in case you need some parts.

CHRIS - this is not meant to tread on your toes, only to offer some help 400's being a lot less comon than the 350's and older.

Hope you get it sorted.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    MMH - all help welcome, thanks :thumbsup:

5. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris, thanks for the input, your right that I've had this problem for quite some time but I didn't want to pester the experts too often :)
    For starters the inputs I have used are as follows:-
    DVD player-RGB Scart-Scart 1m cable. (15Khz)
    DVD player-0.5m component cable-RGBHV transcoder-10m VGA cable-1m VGA to RGBHV BNC cable. (15Khz & 32Khz)
    DVD player-0.5m component cable-iscan pro-10m VGA cable-1m VGA to RGBHV BNC cable. (32Khz)
    DVD player-10m composite cable (To video 1 with a composite into scart adapter and video 2 with an rca-BNC connector.) (15Khz)
    DVD player-10m svideo (15Khz)

All the above 15Khz inputs have also been tried with a playstation2 and sky+ box with the same problem on certain scenes. There has also been 4 different DVD players as the source :rolleyes:

Apart from the loss of focus and increase in streaking, the progressive image actually looks 'better' as the image appears brighter and has more happening between the blacker blacks and whiter whites.(if that makes any sense.)

The screen size I'm using is 100" diagonal and has been set as per the service manual. I even went as far as following all of Guy Kuo's 'Holy Focus' post on the avsforum so that electronic deflection was used as little as possible. Even though I had to buy a 4 foot long electricians screw driver and rubber gauntlets for the focus pots as I'm slightly scared of high voltage :suicide: (A great post for novices like myself.)

The 10m VGA cable and the VGA-RGBHV cable are unknown as far as resistance is concerned but I ruled out cable problems as all the other inputs had the same problem.

As for fungus, when I purchased the projector from Ebay it arrived with a nice amount of fungus growing in the blue tube!(Which hadn't been mentioned from the nice seller :thumbsdow )
    So after wasting hours getting the bracket on the ceiling and the projector into postition it had to be taken straight back down :mad:
    Fortunately sorting the fungus wasn't a big deal after following a few posts and a couple of days later it was back on the ceiling. Its been as clear as a bell ever since. (over a year ago.)
    Did you see the post with the image from the iron giant directly from the red tube? The 3 tubes had the same image with the same streaking.

Hopefully this will answer some of your questions. Its annoying because people that visit always mention the excellent picture, but I spend every film looking for streaks that everyone else seems to be oblivious to!
    But I know the projector is capable of more.

Thanks again for your time Chris,
    Cheers.

P.S.
    MadMrH - I may be interested in parts depending on what could sort the problem.
    Will be in touch.

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Assuming you followed Guys guide on focus did you also have a look at the Astig's (dot shape) too?

Regards

7. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, even going as far as buying a good quality monocular to help with focus and checking the dot shape.

All tubes looked fine but to be honest I didn't have any intention of going near the magnets! I'm not a fan of sticking my hand near extremely high voltages :eek: . (Or is it safe enough with a steady hand?)

Would gamma or G2 have any effect if one or more tubes are overdriving for a given setting? With the image of alien v predator, when the brightness was raised from 38 to 50 the streaking on that image disappeared but when watching other parts of the film (still at 50) there was streaking on other areas. :confused:

There apears to be a lot of 400 users on this forum, has anyone else had anything similar? What gamma,brightness and contrast settings are you using?
    All thoughts welcome.