• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Still got a launch console? Sabotage or even towels?

Bud888

Standard Member
Hey all,

How many of you guys are still running launch consoles? I am and im starting to worry. All of my mates who own 360's are on their 2nd console atleast (one of them is one his 4th, shessh). I paid £35 (i think) to MS to extend my warranty into the 2nd year thinking the inevitable was bound to happen but alas its run perfectly.

With all the new technology thats in the modern consoles (quiter DVD drives, new firmware, better heat sinks, etc) I really do feel that I am owed one of these. Especially since MS have admitted that the launch hardware is flakey to say the least! Knowing my luck, my concole will work to 3 years and 1 day and it will fail!

I have heard of people wrapping their consoles in towels and leaving them on to overheat :devil: and thus getting a new(er) console from MS. I know this isnt exactly, how to put this ....... morally correct ....... but im just thinking how to to best protect my investment for future enjoyment. I really dont fancy shelling out for either a new console or pricey repairs if mine fails after the 3 years. I would feel royally pi55ed off at MS!

What are your views on this? Is anyone going to admit to doing this?

T

TurquoiseShark

Why would you want to scuttle your console when it has given you three years of reliability?

I have three Xbox 360's, one launch, one bought about a month later and an Elite, I've not had any problems. Touch wood.

enablerbro1

Prominent Member
If your LC is still running strong why would you break it intentionly? Who's to say your shiney new one won't blow up after a week? Your LC will most likely blow up the day after the warranty runs out but that's just how they design new technology now to ensure continued sales.

Bud888

Standard Member
Im not saying I am, just heard of people doing it to get their hands on the newer and more reliable hardware. I would feel like im betraying my faithful friend that has served me well since the start while others have fallen into the hell that is the MS repair centres.

The modern consoles are definetly more reliable probaly for a number of reasons but I did read that they are 175watt compared to older consoles running at 200watt therefore less overheating problems. That can only be a good thing!

Alhough it has to be said, when im trying to play Mass Effect at 2AM in the morning and have my sound down at a reasonable level, my console does sound like a hairdryer compared to other ones that my friends have but I can live with that.

BTW, I know this has been talked about extensively but my console has been sitting horizontally since it was taken out of the box all those months ago.

H

Human Blender

Well,im on my second console now. I recently had a to buy a new console after my first one broke 1 week after the warranty ran out. it was frustrating as it was only 'slightly' broken, and i would have had to fork out £90 and then shipping costs just to repair it.
So i bought the arcade version for 150, and it is working fine.touch wood.
I wouldn't deliberately damage the console just because it is most likely that as you upgraded the warranty on your console, it will break anyway.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
The warranty for the 3 red rings is now 3 years, you're still covered 'til this Dec on a launch console. Besides, a console with proven reliability is surely a good thing, not something to get rid of?

Immortaleffectz

Established Member
I have had a prem360 for 2 years. At (touch wood) not had a single thing wrong with it. I would not break it just to get a later model. If it aint broke dont fix it"

Bud888

Standard Member
One thing is for sure, if summit happens my 360 that MS arent prepared to cover under the 3 year warranty I will do my damdest to get my console to display the red ring.

MS have been quoted saying that only 5% of launch consoles would be affected by hardware problems, in my opinion thats BS!!! As i said, of around a dozen or so consoles i know of, all but mine has been returned!

Are the days of the Atari, Sega Mega drives, PS1's working till user abuse takes them out of action decades later a thing of the past? PS3 owners would probaly say otherwise!

EazyE

Established Member
I think i have the new Falcon units. It has that new DVD drive (forgot the name) and it barely even gets warm after a few hours play.

[email protected]

Established Member
Hey all,

How many of you guys are still running launch consoles? I am and im starting to worry. All of my mates who own 360's are on their 2nd console atleast (one of them is one his 4th, shessh). I paid £35 (i think) to MS to extend my warranty into the 2nd year thinking the inevitable was bound to happen but alas its run perfectly.

With all the new technology thats in the modern consoles (quiter DVD drives, new firmware, better heat sinks, etc) I really do feel that I am owed one of these. Especially since MS have admitted that the launch hardware is flakey to say the least! Knowing my luck, my concole will work to 3 years and 1 day and it will fail!

I have heard of people wrapping their consoles in towels and leaving them on to overheat :devil: and thus getting a new(er) console from MS. I know this isnt exactly, how to put this ....... morally correct ....... but im just thinking how to to best protect my investment for future enjoyment. I really dont fancy shelling out for either a new console or pricey repairs if mine fails after the 3 years. I would feel royally pi55ed off at MS!

What are your views on this? Is anyone going to admit to doing this?

Why would anyone pay for a warranty when MS have given every console a 3 year warranty against the only failure they actually have (3 red lights)????

Enjoy your console and forget about its reliability. If it breaks this year MS will sort it free of charge. If it breaks next year you can pick up an arcade with hdmi and no reliability issues for £149 today so expect it to be less than £100 by next year when your warranty has expired.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
With all the new technology thats in the modern consoles (quiter DVD drives, new firmware, better heat sinks, etc) I really do feel that I am owed one of these.
Why? Do you feel you're owed lots of other things when they've been upgraded?

Bud888

Standard Member
These upgrades were brought in to fix flaws and faults that are apparent in the launch consoles, everything from DVD drives that wreck games disks to overheating. I would say that the fact that mine hasnt broke is more luck than anything. Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy my 360 and will continue to do so until summit happens to it.

The 3 year warranty only covers the RROD, not any other faults, see other threads were people have tested this and been told to pay for the repairs and P&P because its not the RROD! I think this is scandalous, if they are going to extend the warranty, do it unconditionally!!

[email protected], I paid for my second years warranty BEFORE microsoft announced thier extended 3 red lights warranty. In essence my 2nd years warranty would have covered me for all faults not just RROD. My friends sent his back cause it was refusing to read disks, ended up being faulty drive, so 360's are subject to more faults than just RROD.

To cut a long story short, I dont see why MS shouldnt take my console and fit the better heat sink etc which will more than likely increase the lifespan of my console. I dont think I should run the risk of my console failing just cause MS sold shoddy equipment at launch (which did cost me > £300 then).

Ico.

Prominent Member
Why would anyone pay for a warranty when MS have given every console a 3 year warranty against the only failure they actually have (3 red lights)????

Enjoy your console and forget about its reliability. If it breaks this year MS will sort it free of charge. If it breaks next year you can pick up an arcade with hdmi and no reliability issues for £149 today so expect it to be less than £100 by next year when your warranty has expired.

I'm on my 3rd.

1st DVD drive failure, this disc is damaged or dirty messages on all games owned at the time...

2nd E74 two red lights.

TEKNICOLOURFOX

Established Member
im on my fourth... which is just getting sent back...

first kept crashing all the time
second dead out of the box
third died whilst playing FEAR 3months in
fourth just died last week three rings

if i had a LC that had lasted till now i wouldnt let it out of my sight!

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
These upgrades were brought in to fix flaws and faults that are apparent in the launch consoles, everything from DVD drives that wreck games disks to overheating. I would say that the fact that mine hasnt broke is more luck than anything. Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy my 360 and will continue to do so until summit happens to it.

The 3 year warranty only covers the RROD, not any other faults, see other threads were people have tested this and been told to pay for the repairs and P&P because its not the RROD! I think this is scandalous, if they are going to extend the warranty, do it unconditionally!!

[email protected], I paid for my second years warranty BEFORE microsoft announced thier extended 3 red lights warranty. In essence my 2nd years warranty would have covered me for all faults not just RROD. My friends sent his back cause it was refusing to read disks, ended up being faulty drive, so 360's are subject to more faults than just RROD.

To cut a long story short, I dont see why MS shouldnt take my console and fit the better heat sink etc which will more than likely increase the lifespan of my console. I dont think I should run the risk of my console failing just cause MS sold shoddy equipment at launch (which did cost me > £300 then).

It does come back to the question though, why replace it if there is nothing wrong with it? after all there are people on here who have bought one of these 'more reliable' 360's and have had trouble after only afew weeks yet yours has been fine for over 2 years.

Geordiepete

Established Member
I have had a prem360 for 2 years. At (touch wood) not had a single thing wrong with it. I would not break it just to get a later model. If it aint broke dont fix it"

Shouldn't that be, if it aint broke don't break it.:thumbsup:

F1Fan72

Prominent Member
Launch day console here and still going strong (I must be lucky)

Beetlejuice

Distinguished Member
im on my fourth... which is just getting sent back...

first kept crashing all the time
second dead out of the box
third died whilst playing FEAR 3months in
fourth just died last week three rings

if i had a LC that had lasted till now i wouldnt let it out of my sight!

Do you play football with your consoles or something? :rotfl: Very unlucky mate!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom