Still early days for 4K?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I'm sure its been in 2 for £30 deals too.

Yep but the days of the super cheap deals are gone I am afraid. HMV are doing the odd deals now and then. Zoom are sadly out of the picture.

Classifieds and eBay are the places for decent deals.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It has been a part of the 4 pack for £14.99 or £19.99. Also many copies at our classifieds sold for under £10.

The classfields are fine if you are happy to buy pre owned discs, but someone has to still buy them new before this even becomes a possibility.

The bundle offers tend to have few options and I find it hard to find enough titles I don't already own or that I'd want to own to make up the numbers required in order to qualify.

I also note that the exact same titles are listed by all the retailers when it comes to their 3 for £30 deals. I'd hazzard that the same is true of similar offers from each of them? It is a bit like price fixing. The tiles they include in such deals aren't the more desirable titles either.

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Classfieldsare used. Fine if you are happy to buy prte owned discs, but someone has to still buy them new before this even becomes a possibility.

THe bundle offers tend to have few options and I find it hard to find enough titles I don't already own or that I'd want to own to make up the numbers required in order to qualify.

Bottlebrush

Yep but the days of the super cheap deals are gone I am afraid. HMV are doing the odd deals now and then. Zoom are sadly out of the picture.

Classifieds and eBay are the places for decent deals.
Patience is key to getting the best prices. Best to save your money until the sales when they all start competing. I've had some good eBay and second hand buys.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Patience is key to getting the best prices. Best to save your money until the sales when they all start competing. I've had some good eBay and second hand buys.

Of course and a .little bit of luck. :)

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member

And if its not a limited release or there's no slipcover then I can wait no problem!

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
You should be trusted to download the film file once purchased digitally. As you are when you buy on disc for personal use.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
You should be trusted to download the film file once purchased digitally. As you are when you buy on disc for personal use.

Not going to happen for 4K. On ITunes, download is restricted to average quality HD. It's a tricky one as the 4K stream requires good amount of space on the streaming device or the streaming device must allow to download into external storage and allow playback via the device.

ZJSL 4K iTunes stream requires about 45 GB of free space as it's average bit rate is about 25 Mbps half the bit rate of the disc which is 92 GB with English sub and dub.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I dont know many people who watch old films either which is another reason people are happy to just stream films.

For example the conversation at work:

Colleague: "I watched Dead Pool 2 last night"
Me: "I watched The Fog"
Colleague: "Who's in that"
Me: "Jamie Lee Curtis" (trying to pick an actor who they will have hopefully heard off from the cast)
Colleague: Not seen that. Is it old?
Me: "1980, directed by John Carpenter who directed Halloween, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China"

Blank face from colleague.
My recent conversation at work:

Me: 'I watched Tenent at the weekend'
Colleague: 'What's Tenent?'
Me: 'It's a film'
Colleague: 'What's the point of watching films?'

Blank face from me.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
My recent conversation at work:

Me: 'I watched Tenent at the weekend'
Colleague: 'What's Tenent?'
Me: 'It's a film'
Colleague: 'What's the point of watching films?'

Blank face from me.
Yeah but what is Tenent?!

NatTheGooner

Good points here, and thanks for starting an interesting thread! Well DV and Atmos is offered on the vast majority of new Apple 4K releases (and if you’re limited to 1080p at the moment you’ll still get the atmos track unlike some Blu-ray Discs). Re. quality there is a slight difference in favour of physical in terms of that final level of grain / image clarity, but I’m noticing that on a projection screen with a JVC N5 projector. Codecs are different too so newer, more effective compression will make a difference to file sizes. We’re certainly getting to a point now where regular streaming issues like blocking in darker scenes are getting improved at a fast pace, and I barely ever see that on my JVC. I remember showing a very pro-physical friend the 4K Apple Stream of Life of Pi on my projector and he couldn’t believe the AV quality for something that cost me £3.

Yes sound on discs is absolutely better but again it’s not a vast difference and unless you’re very well off I just cannot see how endlessly paying out £20-£25 for 4K discs because they look 10% better is sustainable when the majority of ITunes 4K titles I get come in at well under £10. Re. digital platforms, I take your point (I had that happen to me with BBC digital purchases, although they refunded them), but I would think it’s more likely that the last remaining Blu-ray player will give out before Apple or Google go bust. You never know of course, but equally by then all the discs that cost £25 now will probably be £5 or less on Music Magpie! Plus the literally dozens of free upgrades to 4K I’ve had with Apple aren’t to be ignored either.

One point on streaming that is important to note is the incredibly inaccurate picture people sometimes paint that all services are the same. Iplayer for example is a terrific free service and I love it, but you can’t compare an old HD master of a film on that to a 4K DV or HDR stream from Apple, they’re not remotely the same. @lgans316 and I try to point this out repeatedly, not to make people feel bad but just to try and counter the ‘all digital is awful’ narrative!

I was staunchly pro physical for a long long time until I looked at the huge number of unwatched films on my shelves, or those that I watched only once, and realised how much they had cost me, and how much they were now worth. Digital quality is superb with Apple through the TV app or the box (which provides extras and alternate cuts etc that the app doesn’t) and I’ve bought so many films in 4K for £2.99 or even less. And they’re available immediately for anyone else in the house. Don’t get me wrong, I love physical media and have no intention of giving it up completely, but my earlier point was that the standard, non limited edition 4K physical releases will never gain traction in my opinion when they’re £25 a pop. That’s why DVDs are still around because they’re cheap enough to be impulse buys. Plus £15 for a Blu-ray is more reasonable now but you have a hard enough job concvincing some people that Blu-ray is better than DVD, let alone another £10 for a 4K disc release. And many people with very good kit would consider Blu-ray - still a terrific format in 2021 - good enough and that the extra £10 for the 4K disc does not represent a comparable jump in quality that DVD to BR does. Unfortunately with the change in Zoom I think we’ve also come to the end of 3 for £30 with UHD deals, which were brilliant.

Added: just to say all the above comes with the caveat that I completely recognise that for people with limited internet access, streaming is a non-starter.
A brilliantly balanced, well informed, well written post.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom