Still confused !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by UselessPratt, May 19, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the middle of deciding which dvd player to buy, but am still somewhat confused about all this AV stuff.

I was making a shortlist that included DVD players that are also good at playing CD's and DVD-A. But having read a review about something or other in the last ten minutes, I suddenly wondered if I am wasting my time!

If an AV amp has it's own digital to analogue converters, who cares how well a CD player plays CD's? I mean it is all down to the AV amp, isn't it??

Should I only be concerned about the picture quality of the dvd and leave all the sound to the AV amp???

1. Can I play cd's through the digital coax?
    2. What about DVD-A and SACD?

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    CD's are of a high enough sound quality and are hard to beat.You might be better off getting a stand alone CD player.

My current Panasonic E50 is as good as my old Sony 725 DVD player at playing CD's.

Yes you can play CD's via an Optical or Coaxial output,but the onboard DVD DA converter should be of a high enough standard anyway.

Have you considered a DVD recorder?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SACD and DVD-A decoding needs to be done on DVD player for few AV amps if any can decodes this!
    PS there is a new panny S75 that is worth a look.

4. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just sold my standalone CD player! Ha ha! But there is serious intent. I want to get rid of the mountains of equipment and simplify. DVD player and AV amp are enough. Okay, so then all I am really interested in picture quality. I am wondering whether I should bother with SACD and DVD-A?? No one else seems to be........

5. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, wayne, now that I know audio is not so important on the player, I might well consider a recorder.....I mean, why not?

6. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Pioneer 656 is great. CD's thru coax and SACD/DVD-A thru standard audio connects. I gave machine a work out on the Impressions Greatest Hits yesterday and the CD quality was very food. Good enough to capture Curtis Mayfield in all his glory. The last Boz Scaggs album sounded crystal clear without being too trebly and all in all the only thing I can't quite get used to is the fact that my surround fronts are on the floor (iI know..raise em!). I decided no recorder yet as I'm waiting for compatability and price to get better. Can strongly recc'd Pioneer for picture as well. Also It's a good stopgap till the 757 or Denon drop below £500.

7. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all comes down to the Arcam DV89 or the Denon dvd-2900 ( Both of these are out this month). Now, maybe, as Wayne suggests, a recorder.

8. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woa....hang on.....
    Do I need to play CD's through the standard analogue interconnects? Or is the conversion handled by the AV amp?

9. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No the CD's can be run thru coaxial. It's SACD or DVD-A which go analogue but with some decent interconnects it's not as bad as it sounds. I must admit I get a fair amount of access to both product and while it's great to hear Pink Floyd in 5.1 it hasn't changed my audio listening life. The yanks see it as the saviour of record sales (see last weeks Billboard) . Still Pet Sounds out on DVD-A in July!!!!!

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

I don't want you to buy something you wouldn't use,or couldn't afford,but a DVD recorder would clear up a lot of clutter/box's,like it has for me,plus you'll get a superb picture and sound,recorded as well.

My Panasonic plays MP3's as well and was only £350.Compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

There is a £180 NAD CD player that has got 5 stars for CD playback,if you're interested.

11. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many sets of cables do I need? Erm, I need the 5.1 for DVD-A, don't I? Do I need another for cd replay?

12. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure about other DVD players, but on mine I've got 6 cables (the 5:1) plugged into my amp plus a digital coax. It's got a couple more analogue outputs which I don't use at the moment (there's enough spaghetti round the back anyway !!!). I play CDs through these analogue DVD-A connections rather than the digital. Personally I prefer the sound through the analog connectors rather than the digital coax.

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    DVD-A & SACD can be played via the digital connection, well sort of!
    All the disks that I have seen have also got either DD or DTS encoding on them, therefore the receiver will decode this signal and give a 5.1 output. NOT true DVD-A or SACD, but still 5.1. This also means that you do not need to get a player that is compatable with one or the other formats (or both) and can then save some money.
    gilesm,
    I think that you are really useing the digital lead to listen to CD's as a standard sterio signal will not be sent to the DVD-A outputs on your DVD player. To listen to a CD via an analogue lead you do need to connect the sterio L/R leads.

Mark.

14. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark

Not sure about that. On the back of the DV89 there are 8 outputs, 4 stereo (2 of which you used for fronts, and 2 optional) and 4 seperate audio connectors for sub, center and rears. These 6 I plug directly into the 5.1 input on the amp, and thats the input I use for playing CDs - rather than the DVD setting. Of course I'm no expert so could be completely wrong - after all it's only recently I discovered the dyn setting on the amp - doh.

Giles

15. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I was afraid of! That if you don't connect the stereo out's to the AV then you are actually listening to the AV amps DAC rather than the DVD's DAC for CD replay ( Kinda pointless if you have the ARCAM, since it is supposed to have a good DAC).

16. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well I have digital coax & 5.1 analog out running from my DVD player to my amp. If I use direct mode (switching off the digital out) using just the 5.1 analog out from the DVD to the multi channel in on the amp (selecting multi channel in as the source on the amp) & play a CD in the player (no connections from/to the stereo only ouputs/inputs) my CD plays back stereo fine just utilising the front L & R of my 5.1 inputs.