1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Confused

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mike-M, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I must be thicker than I thought. I've been trying to get my head around this but have ended up even more confused, PLEASE HELP!
    I have a Sony Prog Scan DVD player connected to a Epson EMP-TW10H. Would a Scaler give me any improvement in PQ?

2. vancouver

vancouver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes. here is why. All DVD's are recording in 480i and all progressive scan DVD players scale the 480i to 480p. An external scaler like a DVDO iscan will do a better job then most if not all current progressive scan payers. The other thing a scaler will do for you is sale 480i to 720p 1080i or any number of other resolutions.

FYI the Denon 5910 flagship DVD player which retails for about $4500 CDN has a DVDO iscan in it doing the saling.

3. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are 1 step ahead of me already. I have a TW10, (not 10H), and was trying to work out if I would gain any advantage in going for a progressive scan dvd player. As you have already done this I guess the answer must be yes right ? Was there a noticeable difference ? Also do you have yours connected up through a component cable ?

Thanks in advance.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mike: DVD video is 720x480 (NTSC) and 720x576 (PAL), so you'll see that your display will be doing a little scaling to adjust these sizes to its' native panel. This will affect the PQ slightly, but what'll be affecting it more is the deinterlacing.

You don't need the latest models in the iScan or Lumagen ranges since they also include up-scaling to hidef which is of no interest. The older models though such as the Lumagen Vision would still be excellent in this situation and can be had pretty cheaply .. in fact there is (was?) a Lumagen going for £300 in the Calssified forum a day or so ago.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Should also just point out that the Denon DVD Vancouver talks about doesn't actually have an Iscan in it.....it's got scaling algorithms from Anchor Bay (manufacturers of Iscan HD) and as Dale from that company has commented below it is as higher spec hardware as that implimented in the HD or HD+scaler....the de-interlacing is carried out by another chipset altogether.

Our Standard Definition programming is interlaced. Your projector is progressive in nature...ie it has to light up all it's pixels in one swoop. So inside your projector is a video process that converts from interlaced to progressive then scales the image to fit the amount of pixels in the display. Other things are going in in the video processing engine as well.

Good external video processing will do all the above to a higher standard. You may also find that a good external processor will allow you to fix issues with the many disparate sources you have. You may be able to adjust the amount of overscan on each source so you see more of the image, you may be able to adjust the colour decoder settings to remove any issues with overly saturated colours from specific sources, you may be able to remove noise from image without removing detail....you may be able to remove temporal motion artefacts by carrying out frame rate conversions on some programme material....

Ideally you would want to see what if any difference an external processor could give you with your specific sources and display.

Gordon

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hoped you'd show up soon Gordon to provide the real answer. :D

7. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank's for all the imput guy's look's like this will be my next upgrade.

8. Dale Adams

Dale Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just the opposite, actually. The scaler implementation in the Denon player is a higher quality scaler than what's in the iScan HD or HD+.

- Dale Adams

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Sorry Dale I guess I shouldn't believe everything I am told....
    edit:
    Just re-read the Secrets article and I think it's where my confusion came. Kris mentions 8bit and 10bit and I got the HD and the 5910 solutions mixed up! :edit

Gordon