Still can’t decide! 48-55” (Gaming/TV) Philips or LG?!

fireknight1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Help!

Ive lingered on these forums for a while now as well as browsing YouTube/reviews etc and still can’t decide on what to go for to upgrade my basic 5 year old 40” 4K Samsung.

Priorities are 48-55”, good picture/movement and some gaming features (have a PS5) - input lag/120hz/VRR. Not fussed about UI as it will be going through an Apple TV 4K. Tempted by ambilight as we have hue lights. Settled on OLED even though I do play a lot of games with significant HUDs. Concerned more about getting best value than price.

Been looking at Philips 806/706/705 alongside LG C1/CX. Keen on the Philips but 705 doesn’t have hdmi 2.1, though PS5 wouldn’t take too much advantage of it I suppose - would be the cheapest. 806/706 feel pricey (because they have just released). LGs look great for gaming, decent value but not sure if I’d be disappointed to not have ambilight.

Current temptation is this deal -

Also, forgot to add:
Curtains normally closed for most viewing, lighting not a big problem.
Say about 2m away from TV
Only watch catch up tv, mainly Netflix/prime/iPlayer/Disney plus. Much more tv than films.
Typically a few hours of gaming per night, mixed fifa/cod plus single player games.

Did you have a look at the guide?

Help!

Ive lingered on these forums for a while now as well as browsing YouTube/reviews etc and still can’t decide on what to go for to upgrade my basic 5 year old 40” 4K Samsung.

Priorities are 48-55”, good picture/movement and some gaming features (have a PS5) - input lag/120hz/VRR. Not fussed about UI as it will be going through an Apple TV 4K. Tempted by ambilight as we have hue lights. Settled on OLED even though I do play a lot of games with significant HUDs. Concerned more about getting best value than price.

Been looking at Philips 806/706/705 alongside LG C1/CX. Keen on the Philips but 705 doesn’t have hdmi 2.1, though PS5 wouldn’t take too much advantage of it I suppose - would be the cheapest. 806/706 feel pricey (because they have just released). LGs look great for gaming, decent value but not sure if I’d be disappointed to not have ambilight.

Current temptation is this deal -

I have been to friends and families' homes with the LG CX and my jaw drops at how beautiful the picture is. I've just ordered one myself. Cannot see any reason to go for the C1 over the CX from the research I did.

This deal is good too:

Did you have a look at the guide?
Yes, the guide is great! CX/C1 would be the obvious choice as indicated in the guide but I’m tempted by the magic of ambilight. Unfortunately 806/706 are a bit unknowns and not featured in the guide.

Go for a 55" 2020 model like the CX, instead of overpaying for 2021 models, or overpaying for a smaller TV.
LG are the best all rounders, but Philips/Sony do better with motion with video content (not games).

I have been to friends and families' homes with the LG CX and my jaw drops at how beautiful the picture is. I've just ordered one myself. Cannot see any reason to go for the C1 over the CX from the research I did.

This deal is good too:
Thanks, good to hear! Yes the C1 upgrades seem marginal, the evo panel on the G1 would be the jump.

I’m swaying more towards LG and saving ambilight for a future upgrade when Philips have their gaming sorted. I’ve looked at the buying guide for time of year, expectations for a big drop for LG CX/C1 on Black Friday or current deals pretty close?

Thanks, good to hear! Yes the C1 upgrades seem marginal, the evo panel on the G1 would be the jump.

I’m swaying more towards LG and saving ambilight for a future upgrade when Philips have their gaming sorted. I’ve looked at the buying guide for time of year, expectations for a big drop for LG CX/C1 on Black Friday or current deals pretty close?

I'm not sure how much stock is left of the CX. There is a chance they could be gone by November. The C1s might not be as cheap on BF as the CX range is now.

The G1 did look fantastic when I was in John Lewis yesterday. Samsung had some really nice mini-LED panels too but not sure if they are 120Hz.

I'd prefer LG a1 over Philip's oled. There is no transparency about Philips. Little info about specs. Little trustworthy reviews.
I know a1 is only 60hz, but at least there are some clarity.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom