1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still after a DVD player that does this .......

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dUnKle, May 20, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Auti Multiregion playback including RCE
    PAL and NTSC Prog scan via component out
    Skipable menus and forced trailers etc
    NO layer change
    Well built

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    meridians are supposedly the best for layer changing due to the asynchronous (?) operation

ad

3. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TMA DVD32R/ PSM192:-

Auto Multiregion playback including RCE :thumbsup:

PAL and NTSC Prog scan via component out: :thumbsup:

Skipable menus and forced trailers etc: :thumbsdow: depends on disk authoring

NO layer change: :thumbsup: (although this depends on disk)

Well built :thumbsup:

Loads of bargains out there.

:clap:

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Skippable warnings/menus would require a hacked firmware nowadays so you'd need a player with a lot of support from hackers etc. There isn't going to be an official firmware with the option to skip fbi warnings etc. The only companies that seem to get away with this sort of thing are the smaller chinese companies and from what you've written I don't think you'll be after one of those.

5. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Duncan

A lot of the older Sampo players can be converted to be able to skip FBI messages and the like (UOP to give it the formal name), as well as blocking out MV and CGMS/A.

This comes about as the result of some excellent underground hacking by folks since 2001, and the firmware is pretty much self-select as to what features you want (see here.

I have an old Wharfedale M5 sitting around which would be a willing candidate for such a transformation if you're interested - slightly scratched casing, but otherwise does all the things you want, although the layer change may be 0.5 second if that (the player was built in early 2001).

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Could you give me any guidance on removing macrovision and other user prohibited functions on a Logix 3300 dvd player. Its based on the ES4318F and a CS4955 video encoder and similar to the sampo designs. Also while I'm at it how about removing the same on my Sharp DV-740H (presumably this would be easier). I've had a nose around about hacking firmware but the learning curve is a bit steep and time consuming to say the least. Any tutorials you know of to help me hack these players?

7. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The Sharp players have been very resistant to the OFFA firmware, due to the electronic differences between the source player, the Sampo DVE631CF (built in Taiwan) and the Shanghai-built Sampo DVE611 series, which includes the Sharp DV740 and Reoc A5 (most notably the power on/off system, VFD operation and the remote control IR code tables), although every so often someone manages to crack something or other, without any definitive breakthrough.

In terms of the Logix player, that should be possible - I'm fairly certain those with the Cirrus CS4954/4955 encoders, as opposed to the Analog Devices ADV7170/7175 video encoders found in the DVE631CF, are amenable to the OFFA firmware - you really need to ask the experts at the group - see here.