1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

still addicted to ebay, but finally perhaps a reprieve..

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Marc, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    god, i thought i'd managed to get off the e-bay high after last week's overkill on DVD buying, but no, of course not.. not only have i bought a few more dvd's this week but i've also taken to buying model houses for my mum.. anything to feed the addiction! But i think i've turned the corner because i just won the holy grail of e-bay items, the Region 1 Nightmare on Elm Street collection, for £29 inc P+P from America! IMO it doesn't get much better than that!

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    think they're just 2nd hand, but looked in good condition on the photo, fingers crossed :D

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry, I removed my post saying I hoped they were genuine, because I didn't want to put a downer on your purchase.

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    oh yeah, heh, don't worry, i've not been stung with anything fake yet, i seem to be an unerringly good judge of legitimacy on ebay

5. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I buy all my DVDs from eBay.COM, but I've found that every fifth or so purchase is a disappointment which kind of eliminates the savings I've made. Try this one, I saved the e-mail I was so irritated:

In a message dated 07/16/2004 2:48:07 PM, XXXX@XXXX.co.uk writes:

>I'm not normally one to moan, but your listings clearly described
    these
    >DVDs as 'mint' and 'new'(!) - which they clearly are not: scratched
    disks,
    >damaged (ex-rental boxes) and no inlays. To be honest I feel a little
    cheated
    >and thought I'd give you the chance to respond.

Only the 8 Mile disc was listed as new... The Phonebooth was listed as
    used,
    and thus could exhibit signs of wear. However, the item performed
    flawlessly
    in 2 DVD players and a computer drive without a hitch, thus its
    rating...

I also make no mention that the inserts are included. The auction
    descritptions only mention the case and disc.

Thanks for your bids, and let me know if I can answer any further
    questions...

Bill

Stupid me, assuming that inlays would be included in a 'New' cd. He even had the cheek to send them in Blockbuster cases... Anyway, having just received a pirate copy of Last Samurai, I've decided to only buy from reliable sellers I've dealt with in the past.

*Moan moan* :rolleyes:

6. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Pay via Paypal and you're covered for this sort of thing.
    If the seller doesn't accept PayPal then don't buy their stuff.

7. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've given up buying from ebay after my last purchase, Schindler's List, listed as Original Region 1, new and sealed.

It was a good quality bootleg (complete with hologram DVD9 logo), it was not new, but sealed in an odd re-sealable pack, the sleeve had a huge fold down the centre.

The seller had a couple of hundred positive feedback and no negative, so it seemed like a safe bet, it seems the average ebay dvd buyer is not aware of what is fake and what to look out for.

The seller was one of those who won't leave feedback until you have left them feedback first, despite me paying within minutes of the auctions end and they even emailed me a couple of times to remind me to leave feedback.

I left him feedback, saying it was just a good quality bootleg, not authentic R1 and he left me feedback warning others that I leave untrue defamating feedback, despite this guy selling R1 titles 3 months before their release date.

It is getting so difficult to tell genuine sellers from the dodgy ones, now I'd rather buy from a good online retailer and spend a few quid more.

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    so far i've received about 15-20 dvd's from my recent auctions, and every single one has been legitimate. Some were even brand new and sealed, like Gothika, Starksy and Hutch, Phone Booth, A Man Apart etc, and at less than 50% of the store price.

Like i said i think i have a sixth sense for spotting pirate goods just by looking at the description of the product, seller location, seller feedback, item photo etc, and if i'm not entirely convinced, i don't bid. Sometimes if i'm not certain i will email the seller and ask if it's legitimate, and their reply always tells me if the dvd is real or not even if they don't want it to.

I almost always use paypal too, i had to use a cheque by request for my Alien Quadrilogy auction and that's been a bit of a pain cos the seller doesn't have a bank account :rotfl: but it's on its way to being sorted and i should have that boxset next week. I'm also having to use cheque for a couple of model houses i've bought for my mum, but that's probably because the seller has 'old dog' status and doesnt like using things like paypal, so i can accept that.

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone should report fake EBay sellers to these people ( thats what i have done several times ) lets stamp out the bootleggers.

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

The thing about EBay and the feedback system is that a company called Squaretrade ( i believe its part of EBay ) gets involved and if you do not wish to remove your negative feedback this company which mediates and is payed for by the seller can actually have the negative feedback removed, you say to them its counterfeit and its bootleg and all that happens is that u get constant emails asking you to mediate and if you refuse its possible the negative gets removed, that is why you will sometimes see negative views turned into positives or removed entirely, EBay needs to clean up their act and stamp out piracy and bootleggers but they refuse to even listen when you email them and tell them about bootleggers operating on their site.

I emailed them and said Jurassic Park Superbit is a bootlegged copy as there never was a version from China which was region free and the DVD is STILL selling on their site.

http://search.ebay.com/jurassic-park-superbit_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

Look up the above link, its the one i complained to EBay about, they didnt listen so i contacted the Internet Fraud Center, EBay needs to be prosecuted and i hope the FBI are compiling some large list against them as far too many goods are knowingly allowed to be sold as genuine when clearly they are bootlegged copies, EBay are often notified by people like myself about bootleg copies being sold but do absolutely nothing.

10. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have to agree, eBay totally does nothing about complaints, regarding counterfeit goods, or even their own website security. A lot of people, myself included, were complaining about the Add To Watch List function not working, which then escalated into a pop up box appearing when you tried to add something to your watch list, asking for your log in details! Suspect, or what! I know a few people who did actually submit their details, yet eBay still did nothing. I e-mailed them about it myself, and got an automated reply, telling me not to open any e-mail attachments, or click links in e-mails, which may be fraudulent, so they obviously can't even be bothered to read e-mails, let alone answer then properly. I wonder what would happen if I changed my card details, so they couldn't take their fees? Maybe a real person would contact me then?

11. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find buying from Amazon an often cheaper way of buying used items (and seems to be better guaranteed. You are paying Amazon rather than the seller). I have had books and CD's for less than a £1 that have gone much higher on eBay. I didn't realise till recently that buying from Amazon you had the price brand new, but also second hand options.

12. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, I thought I was smart by asking sellers if their items were legit or not... unfortunately some don't tell the truth.

As for Paypal protection, it isn't complete. I can't remember the terms, but there's an excess and also other details which meant it hasn't been worth my applying. Once I did manage to get my credit card company to pay for a damaged item, however depending on who you talk to, Paypal can undermine Barclays internet garuntee.

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,490
    I did send an email to FACT about Ebay. But had no reply.

The huge amount of pirated items on Ebay and the auctions that do not get closed down mean Ebay must be making a large amount of money from pirated items. Which is why they are not bothered in doing anything about it. Not sure what the legal issues are here but surely Ebay must be held accountable.

14. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't the FA, or maybe FIFA try to take eBay to court regarding ticket sales. I think the ruling was that eBay was accountable and had to police itself...