still a good buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WeirdFish, Nov 22, 2003.

1. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Given that if you can source one a HK DVD25 is around the £250 mark is it worth getting.

I'm only interested in PAL & NTSC prog scan as it'll only be used for movies therefore I'm not fussed about dvd-a or sacd.

I realise that the dvd25 hasnt suddenly become less of a player because its been replaced but am I better off with something else?

2. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking the same thing, especially with the likes of new Denon DVD700 coming out with pal and ntsc PS. I guess I am going to have to do some demo-ing.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Apart from its looks (which I like), the thing about the HK DVD25 is its sound quality. Specifically CD playback - it's really very good. Certainly a lot better than a Pioneer 656, for example and the video side of things aint too shabby either. I also seem to remember the remote being a bit of ergonomic class too. So, for £250, there isn't a lot wrong with it, save a single SCART socket, so no RGB pass-through.

Russell

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    To be honest I wouldnt use it for CD's either, music is dealt with by a different set of kit elsewhere.

Which is partly the reason for the question. I don't want to pay a premium for features I'm not gonna use.

Is the DVD25 just a 30 without DVD-A, as getting a demo on a 30 may be easier.

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I believe that the DVD25 was a player that had DVD-Audio disabled, rather than one without DVD-Audio to start with. Some people did actually get some DVD-A discs to work on the 25. Therefore, I would assume that the 30 is the 25 with DVD-A enabled.

Russell

6. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weirdfish, as you are mainly interested in pal/ntsc prog scan it might be worth taking a look at the sony 730. You can get them for c.£130 from digital-point. I have had one for a month now and am very happy with it – will certainly keep me going until there is a better choice of Dvi enabled players. One day I might even be able to let you know how well it works with a Z2 ;)

7. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

The way its going I'll probably have a new player by the time the Z2 arrives. Retail therapy is always good to relieve the stress of waiting for new toys:D

Cheers for mentioning the 730, I hadnt thought of that. I was looking at the 930 as i really like the look it, and it seems to get good reviews.

:)

8. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, latest news from Ivojo has just upped the stress levels yet again :(

I think a previous thread on the 730/930 concluded that the main difference between the two was that the 930 had SACD and looked better. If you can stand the looks of the 730 and don't need the SACD then IMO its better value than the 930.

9. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeh, mid november my ****

:)

At least I've got time to research dvd players.

I dread to think the amount of money I've spent on dvd in the last 6 years. :eek: