Sticky-disc syndrome..what is it, and what does it affect?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ollie501, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I started my watch of the Hannibal Lecter trilogy a couple of days ago, and in doing so, took a look at some comparison sites, as to which offers the better versions. One of these (HERE) gave mention of "sticky-disc" syndrome, which sounded faintly unsanitary, and cited Silence of the Lambs as one of those suffering from it.

Sure enough, my copy of SOTL had a fine coating of an unknown sticky substance evenly distributed across both discs. My copy of Terminator also has exactly the same thing, which I will photograph later, so people can see what I mean.

A clean with one of wipes for my specs cleaned it off, and the disc played absolutely fine, but does anyone know any more about this problem...

Specifically, what exactly is sticky-disc.. what causes it, what is the sticky substance, and what other films does it affect. Zeta Minor gave mention of MGM Special Editions, including Terminator and Rocky, but is there any further info on the subject.

Do MGM accept any responsibilty for this? Will they change the discs, and has anything been done to prevent it from happening? Will the discs ultimately become useless?

Any answers, or links gratefully received... :lease:

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Ok, am not 100% sure on this, however.

It is my understanding that DVDs are made out of 2 discs stuck together. The glue can sometimes seap through to the outer layer and cause problems with play back. I think this is simular to the problems some laser discs used to have and was often refered to as laser rot. If you look at a DVD which has this problem, the play back side can often turn a different colour and look very strange indeed. I rember having this problem with my Reion 2 terminator disc.

3. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i sometimes get sticky disc syndrome on my adult titles :rotfl:

4. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    At least that's acceptable.. it's when you get them on your childs Teletubbies DVD's! Probably. :rotfl:

5. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i didn't realise the teletubbies was so exciting! :D