sticky black SKY remotes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by luggsie, Sep 25, 2004.

1. luggsie

luggsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just a bewildered comment. I have now had two second hand SKY digiboxes a few year old. Both came with original SKY remotes that, as it happens, I didn't really need. But both remotes have, or some years ago had, soft-feel covers on the batteries which has now turned to a black sticky tarry substance not unlike half melted pitch. This is a most unpleasant goo and messes up your hands. Why do SKY put this evil substance onto their products. Or is it planned obsolescence.

luggsie

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Funny you should say that...
    My first ever Sky digital box was chucked out about 6 months ago.
    It had been usused since I got Sky+ about 4 years ago, and had been neatly packed away.

The back of the remote control had become just as you describe... very slimey, and looked a bit like some fungus was growing among the slime.

I cleaned it up in warm soapy water, and used a bit of turps to remove the awkward bits.
    But a month later, the slime was back. So that encouraged me to chuck the whole thing out.

Anyway, as I'm now not the only person to have seen it, perhaps it is the plastic starting to break down.

Let's see if its happened to anyone else.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I recently dumped a 6 year old SKY remote, same sticky feeling to the battery compartment cover. Not the main reason I threw it away though, had two and it had been sitting in a draw for over 3 years after getting SKY+.

Probably a breakdown in the material after being in close contact to old batteries.