Sticking to a budget - 4,5,6,7 speakers?

D

Dom H

Which would be better, 5 speakers, 6 cheaper ones, 7 even cheaper still?

I'll give you a clue the answer's 4 but lets have some opinions (get out your pictionary skippy)

Here we go again. Where does he get 'em from.

The answer my dear Tom is 2 for Stereo, 5.1 for er 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, are you getting the picture by now or have you invented something the rest of us are not aware of :D :D

D

Dom H

This isn't another 4 or 5 debate me ole mucker, oh no no...

5,6 or 7?

i.e if you had a budget of £1000

5 * £200 speakers
6 * £166 speakers
7 * £142 speakers

Does that make sense slappy? (cover the words with your pinky, take it slow)

Using your logic Don, I reckon I'd go for just one speaker costing a grand :D:D

buns

Banned
Of course you go for the best you can afford, and upgrade when possible

ad

I

Inukjuak

Originally posted by Dom H
I was waiting for that :clown: :clown: :p
Well I didn't let you down, I'm surprised you didn't hear me coming with your infrasonic hearing.

Originally posted by buns
Of course you go for the best you can afford, and upgrade when possible
ad
Thats what sensible people do. Tom just throws 'em in the skip one by one as he finds out he don't need them because of his sweet spots :D:D:eek::D:D

buns

Banned
Originally posted by The Beekeeper
Quality every time. 5.1

thats what i meant, 5 main speakers. Or, with Doms preference, that would mean 4, so he wonuld have better speakers! :D

ad

M

MikeK

Dom

Not having a go, but following this line of logic, wouldn't you better off using a higher quality stereo set and engaging a virtual DSP mode which can create surround sound from just a set of stereo speakers?

buns

Banned
Originally posted by MikeK
Dom

Not having a go, but following this line of logic, wouldn't you better off using a higher quality stereo set and engaging a virtual DSP mode which can create surround sound from just a set of stereo speakers?

Yeah, is this not basically just an extention of phantom centre?

ad

D

Dom H

Your a p*sstaking bunch arent ya ;)

Doesn't anyone get the question?

Ok I'll explain it again...

You have an amp capable of 5.1/ES/EX, you have a budget of £X, how many speakers do you buy?

Just because I don't like centers doesn't mean I want just 2 for 5.1 jees.

i.e would 7 cheap speakers sound better than 5 expensive ones?

Simple enough :rolleyes:

D

Dom H

How can you be having a go when A. I haven't really given an answer and B. which line of logic?? I never mentined any logic?

Jase

Distinguished Member
5,6 or 7?

i.e if you had a budget of £1000

5 * £200 speakers
6 * £166 speakers
7 * £142 speakers

I´d take the 7 @ 142 quid each, Gallo´s from the Power Buys.;) Assuming I already had a subwoofer.

M

MikeK

Wasn't really taking the p**s Dom, just trying to understand your position generally. Fair enough, I was also considering your centre speaker post, which as you haven't mentioned it, perhaps I shouldn't have. On that point, I stand corrected!

For a given budget, say £1000, 7 speakers would set you back £143 each (assuming you buy identical speakers), 6 would mean £167 each, while just buying 5 means you can spend £200 on each. While there may be differences, the price difference isn't that big - it would as well entirely depend on the speakers in question. I've certainly heard some more expensive speakers being outperformed (IMO that is) by models costing a lot less (and I'm talking orders of magnitude less).

So, it's very difficult to answer that question with any kind of meaningful response. I can see where you are coming from, but IMO, generally speaking, the savings made from only buying 5 speakers won't be big enough to allow significantly better performance of each individual speaker over the 6 or 7 speaker setup. Any performance gains on an individual speaker basis, may well be offset by the more convincing rear soundfield of a 6 or 7 speaker setup.

As to what I would buy, I suppose it depends what I was trying to achieve. If I really wanted ES/EX, then 6 or 7 would be the answer (depending on whether I wanted a rear centre pair or single speaker).
Subwoofer notwithstanding, and aesthetics to one side for a moment, if on a limited budget, I'd probably be looking at buying 3 pairs of the same model of mag shielded stereo speakers, perhaps 3 pairs of Q1s (which has been suggested elsewhere on these forums).
Stereo pairs tend to be better value than single speakers, generally speaking.

D

Dom H

but IMO, generally speaking, the savings made from only buying 5 speakers won't be big enough to allow significantly better performance of each individual speaker over the 6 or 7 speaker setup. Any performance gains on an individual speaker basis, may well be offset by the more convincing rear soundfield of a 6 or 7 speaker setup.
That's what I was looking for :)

btw just to clarify I don't mean the budget has to be £1k, can be anything, and I suppose I also mean the best speaker available for each budget.

to simplify I spose you could say...

Which is money better speant, higher quality speakers or more speakers?

on my tombstone - Here lies Dom H, may heaven be in his sweetspot

actually I wonder if i can have two headstones, 1 either side instead of 1 central? :p

B

bob007

btw just to clarify I don't mean the budget has to be £1k, can be anything,
If the budget can be anything then the higher the budget wouldn't you be be getting into an area where you would be able to choose quantity and quality?

D

Dom H

If the budget can be anything then the higher the budget wouldn't you be be getting into an area where you would be able to choose quantity and quality?
Yes but..

ok budget < oh I don't know £10k

Happy now!? ;)

B

bob007

Yes but..

ok budget < oh I don't know £10k

Happy now!? ;)
Thought your first post was a good question, £1k budget would in most case give food for thought over quality/quantity, £10k, now that's a silly as having no centre speaker, quality/quantity can be bought for that price so it wouldn't answer your question. But at least with £10k you could by a decent centre. :p

Yes, very happy. :D

I never mentined any logic?
Thats True!!! Logical thought is the last thing i've seen on this thread.
Can I ask? Is there a point to all this?
Are you changing your speakers or something or just here to confuse yourself :D

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps