Sticking/Freezing DVD - help.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by FuzzyFreak, Sep 23, 2004.

1. FuzzyFreak

FuzzyFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have recently started to get an odd problem while watching DVDs (not pirates!) Towards the end (more often than not) the display freezes, then stutters, then completely gives up. I first noticed this on my Sony player in the lounge so I took the DVD upstairs to my PC DVD and the same thing happened. I ignored this the first time, then an odd thing happened, exactly the same problem but this time on the PC DVD player (different DVD) - neither of these DVDs had been played on both players prior to the issue - was this a coincidence?

I also took one of the rogue DVDs to work and tried a third player and the same thing. Oh and yes, of course I have tried cleaning it. One of these was brand new straight out of the box.

Has anybody else had these problems and managed to resolve them?

Many thanks.

2. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not clear about your description. Do you mean to say that the anomalies occurred on the first instance of playback in each case, on both machines? ie, that you had two new discs, unplayed, one of which you played on your Sony first, then your PC, the other of which you played on your PC first?

3. FuzzyFreak

FuzzyFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, the first instance of playing. It has happened on three seperate occasions. The first DVD wasn't mine so I wasn't so bothered and didn't think it could be the machine, the second one was brand new so I sent back to the distributor and they are replacing it. The third one was loaned by a friend who didn't mention any problems and surely would have done, it has been tried in two PC DVD drives and not in the Sony in the lounge. This can't be coincidence surely, yet it seems inconsistent reagarding the players - do you need to clean the heads once in a while like with the old video and tape recorders?

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an Allsop DVD/CD laser lens cleaner it doesnt have liquids in it and works pretty well, i can't speak for anyone else but i like to clean my DVD players laser every 6 months.

You can do a websearch for the above cleaner and its also available from Amazon for about ten pounds and lasts forever.