Stick with Denon 1910 or not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DPhil, Nov 8, 2004.

1. DPhil

DPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 1910 which I bought 3 weeks ago. I have a fault on it - it won't play disks all the way through, click, whirs, gets stuck etc., so the shop I bought it from (PRC, Ilford - Excellent price and service) have agreed to either replace it or refund the price towards another player.

I have a Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma display. I have been a little disappointed in the picture quality in some scenes (large areas of similar colour get an effect where colour shades seem to jump from one level to another in large concentric uneven circles instead of smoothly merging - looks a like very fine pixellation/blockiness - I don't know what this effect is called). I don't know whether it is the player, the screen or the setup.

The effect is the same on Component or DVI (in fact I can't see any real difference between the two).

Should I just get a replacement for the Denon or look at another model. I'm not too worried about DVI if the difference is not that great. I have been given various different advice from dealers, ranging from - "only consider a high end player like an Arcam DV79 with a display like that", to "the Toshiba 340 is great with it".

This is my first reasonable system, so any help would be appreciated.

2. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look into how the new samsung range turns out! check out the pioneer 575. Having upscaling on the samsung it may make a diff on the screen.

3. DPhil

DPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I'll look into the Samsungs. I need something now though.

I am hoping to get some feedback from someone who has used a DVD player with the Hitachi. I need to try and make a decision pretty quickly - any other opinions anyone?