1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stick to one brand?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Jayb, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a minidv camara and so far have been using Sony tapes, a friend has borrowed it and has been using JVC tapes. I have just read a thread that said this sort of thing can damage your camara...:eek: :eek:

I have never heard this before and wondered how could using different brands damage your camara...:confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    The basic reason for sticking to one brand of DV tape is that the heads on DV cams are very fragile and different tapes are made with different coatings that rub off onto the heads. This then causes the heads to get clogged when the coatings mix on the heads.
    For the odd tape every so often you are not going to cause any real problems, but if useing different tapes on a regular basis then it is best to avoid.
    Your best bet if lending the cam to a friend is to supply the tapes (and if buying in bulk charge enough to make a profit!).

Mark.