1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stewart screen really worth 3x

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by marcoeser, Jun 14, 2005.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, im looking for a 110" 16:9 fixed sceen screen. Ive found that the Stewart screen is 3x the cost of other screens. Is it really worth it?

marc

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I guess it depends on your projector. If you've spent 25 grand on a top of range Sim2 or something similar then you'll want to get the best from it. On the other hand you maybe better off with a cheaper screen and putting the money you save towards a projector upgrade. You should certainly try and demo a Stewart with your own pj before considering spending that sort of cash though!

3. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    im getting the Marquee 9500LC Ultra CRT projector

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Stewart StudioTek 130 then :) Your LC deserves the best

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Not sure about being worth 3 times the cost, but I have Stewart Grayhawk screen which is probably considered old hat now, but it is a truly excellent screen.

From what I've seen, Stewart screens don't just give better contrast, brightness, viewing angle etc (depending on the material you choose), but also seem to have a smoother surface that helps give the image a nice smooth, window like appearance.

I recently considered downsizing my screen (to better fit the room layout), but I couldn't afford another Stewart.
    When I investigated cheaper replacements, I came home and re-arranged the room making damn sure the Stewart stayed put.

Once you've had a Stewart, it's pretty hard to go back.
    I admit I havn't seen all the competition, but what I have seen at the cheaper end of the market doesn't really compare.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I posted a comment here which might help a little:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1746763&postcount=19

Stewart has won 2 Oscars for it's contribution to the world of movies (inclusing the invention (?) of the Green Screen), as well as other accolades, and with excellent customer service, you can see why they cost that bit more.

Of course, Rip Off Britain means our dealers pay more for them at trade price than Joe Public does at retail in the USA, but that's another story.

Gary.