1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stewart screen help.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by noyce, Nov 11, 2003.

1. noyce

noyce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to order my projection screen and so far like the look of some of the ones i have seen from stewart screens.

Does anyone know of a good,reliable uk supplier?

Help appreciated

my home cinema

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    Try Gordon of http://www.convergent-av.co.uk

He's a regular contributor here, and will point you in the right direction. Just make sure you're sitting down when you're given a price. :)

Gary.

3. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

We all know somethings are better than others but would the Stuart screen really make a significant difference to using say, a standard matt white screen? I.e. Owl, NikNaks or Draper etc...
    or are we talking about getting the extra nth degree out of a system?

What would be the primary improvements with using a DLP projector?

Thanks

CH.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    Some screens are better than others, especialy in the frame or mechanisms - they are the expensive parts. Some will hotspot, while others wont, some will ripple more in pull down models etc.

Having changed from white blackout cloth to a proper screen material with 1.2 gain, I can say that for basic white material with unity gain, the BO cloth was a bargain - it only cost me £15 for the material. The difference in the screen material was only slight in my case - it was slightly whiter and brighter, which was what I expected it to be, but not a leap in image quality as some would think.

Higher gains or grey screens will perform differently, and these are where proper screens generaly win, as they are made differently with materials to aim the reflected light with specific characteristics. Filed of view and colour uniformity are two considerations IIRC.

Gary.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Yes simply Stuart screens are in a different league to the others, a bit like a Ford and Aston Martin / RR but you pay for the pleasure and what ever dealer you use has to deal through the UK Stuart rep :(

Is it worth the extra? Upto you but Stuarts are in a different league for screens, if anyone tells you otherwise................. :(

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    Having read of some of the customer support stories over on the US forum, you can see just why Stewart screens are the best in the world. They've even won two oscars, so they aren't that shabby. :)

I think most of us would love to won one, but the cost can be prohibitive. IIRC, it was £1200 for a basic fixed screen (84ins viewable), and £1600 if you added the black Velux surround. :eek:

Also, Stewart charges UK dealers more for the screens (trade price) than they do to Joe Public in the USA, so it's no wonder they're so expensive.

Gary.

8. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would have to agree that I did consider the same, I couldn't work out what all the fuss or even the price gave a screen and how it could improve things, but I would say if you bought a Ferrari would you put C**P tires on it, so why pay £3500+ for a projector and point it towards a screen that's going to absorb most of it's quality, I've seen vairous Stewart screens and (trying not to sound biased) they are awsome, the colour control and blacks were amazing, the build and look are fantastic, Highly recommend the fixed screens with the velux finish.

The stewart screens are not going to be for everyones budget but well worth considering if you can stretch to that.

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks. I originally was gonna go for another branded electric screen but have decided to stretch to a fixed Stuart screen which hopfully will see me through a few good years and projectors!

Im thinking of hanging a good quality electric curtain rail to cover it when not in use (curtain colour to match wall).

Does this sound like a good idea? or any pitfalls i should be aware of?

How long should a Stuart screen last before degrading and how (if at all) are they cleaned? chemicals or warm water, etc...?

Thanks for all the advice.

CH