1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STEWART LX110H LUXUS MODEL A ELECTRISCREEN Operational Question.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KBDVD, Nov 8, 2003.

1. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All,:hiya:

I'm an "old hand" @ Plasma's but a "newbie" @ Projector's so be kind guy's!

I've been lurking for a few days and have been through the FAQ and many posts with great appreciation as I've learned masses about projectors and projecting. Prior to embarking upon actual demo's, from what I've learned thus far, I'm expecting that DLP will be my baby, thanks to it's increased ability to deliver acceptable contrast over LCD, just so long as "the rainbow effect" proves to be insignificant for me and my good lady.

In Plasma land, I champion Panasonic as my "brand of choice" due to it's significantly superior contrast ratio & subsequently blacker blacks than all of it's rivals, which to my eyes makes it's images more real and involving, and I see no reason to suppose that I shall think any differently about projection.

Thanks to all that I've read, I now appreciate that I need a "long throw" projector as my lens to screen distance is fixed at 20'. This has in turn pointed me towards SIM2 & their HT300 XTRA or DOMINO 30 models which I shall now audition.

My current plan would be to match one of these with a STEWART Firehawk material LX110H LUXUS "Model A" Electriscreen. At my 20' throw distance, (16' viewing distance) I'm expecting to achieve a 96'' x 54'' (110'' diagonal) 16:9 Image, but I notice with dismay that the STEWART screens all have a full 12'' top border above the actual screen area in addition to the 5.25'' depth of the screen housing on the ceiling. In my circumstances, due to furniture that can't be moved, I have limited "screen height" available and would be ok with say a 3" top border + housing, BUT the full 12'' top border simply places my image too low! :( :mad:

So my question is a simple one, in operation, are the STEWART screens a simple "one shot" fully up/fully down activation OR (Please, Please) are they able to be unfurled by any chosen amount? If the latter is true, I could leave the last 7" of top border within the housing and would have no problems! :confused:

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most (if not all) electric screens are adjustable, drop wise.

Shouldn't be a problem - just an adjuster screw to set the drop "stop" point.

Better to confirm with the manufacturers but I'd say you'll be OK.

:smashin:

3. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked this very same question to Stewart. The answer was you can only adjust max 3 to 4 inches. The reason is the tab tension. Why don't you just order the screen with a 3 inch black drop?

4. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the replies Guy's.

Raymond:

I did wonder if they might consider such a request, do you think that there would be much of a premium to pay for this? And, what would a request such as this mean to their supply leadtime?

.......... Guess I'll have to give them a call on Monday!

Thanks again Gents.

KBDVD.

5. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure that they would not miss an opportunity to charge you for this. I have no idea how much.

If this is what you really want, lead time should not be an issue. Furthermore, now that the pound is stronger and it would be a special order from the US the result may just be a push.

They are great screens. Worth the wait.

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    KBDVD,
    Stewart Screens (and other screen manufacturers)get custom requests such as yours all the time, some bigger, some smaller. I doubt you'll have any problems getting what you need.
    Paul

7. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Raymond / PaulB :smashin:

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

8. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In my personal experience,
    The recommendation is that tab tensioned screens are fully unwound to ensure that the tab mechanism functions correctly. This means no adjustment is really recommended and a custom size is best.

Every Stewart screen is built as a custom size(even the 12" standard units), but there might be a premium if the order for a custom is placed in the UK. You will need to check with your suppliers.

They are good screens, built very well, and the Firehawk material performs very well in difficult (uncontrolled lighting) situations, such as my white ceiling/magnolia walls lounge/HT room. Just make sure your projector is bright enough. The difference from a painted sheet of hardboard was like night and day. Just a shame they are so expensive, but you know that you have bought a great screen that wont curl and will perform for years. Shop around for IR controller units to save $$$
    Hope this helps
    Russ

9. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Russ,

Very Helpful! :smashin:

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

10. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Russ,

You appear to have the same enviornment as I. ie. white ceilings and light colored walls.

I was wondering what size your FireHawk is, if it is microperfed or not and what projector you are using.

I am planning to get a 123 inch diagonal 16/9 Firehawk microperf. The projector is an SX21 calibrated it has around 550 lumens. Hope I am not going too big.

Cheers,

11. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    H Raymond,

My Electriscreen is a Model A Luxus LX092H (92"diag, 80" wide) 16:9 format.
    I use it with a Sony VPLVW12HT Ceiling mounted at a range that provides the recommended 1.6 x screen : width distance of the projector from the screen.

Take a look at the link for some articles about screens and the calcs etc. You may be a bit big side on this size screen with your (low output projector)

http://www.cinemasource.com/articles.html

The SX21 is a superb hi res projector - but take care with the microperf ! it is not recommended with some fixed panel projectors (especially the VPLVW12HT !!) my advice is ask Stewart for thier advice

Hope this helps !
    Russ;)

12. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Russ,

Thanks for the link, very educational.

Cheers,