Stewart GreyHawk RS or Studiotek 130?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kax, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Kax

Kax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in the market for a (fixed) front projection screen. I already figured out I want a Stewart 16:9 Luxus Deluxe ScreenWall (SND135H, 135"/3.43m diameter). The only thing I can't quite figure out, is which screen material I should take.
    I have a rather bright pj (Marantz VP-12S4)
    The room is completely darkened
    Viewing distance is approximately 4.5 meters
    Primary source material will be movies, movies and movies...

Should I go for the GreyHawk RS (gain .92) or the Studiotek 130 (gain 1.3)?
    Any ideas/experiences/hints out there?

Thanks in advance,

Kax

2. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Kax,

Are you sure you mean Stewart Greyhawk rather than Firehawk?

I believe Greyhawk has a gain of 1 or just below, whilst Firehawk has a gain of 1.3. My understanding is that the majority of Stewart screens sold are Firehawk for DLPs.

The big advantage is that the grey screens should give a more uniform picture if there is any ambinet light in your room.

The white Studiotech 130 screen will give slightly better colours, whilst any grey screen should improve the blacks at the expense of slightly 'dulled' colours.

Basically it depends upon the environment you intend using your screen in.

White screen for rooms where there is no stray light , grey screens for viewing where stray light can be a problem. That's the theory.

Just seen you say your room is light controlled - I would go for the white Studiotech 130 material - enjoy the colours.

Simon

3. Kax

Kax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon,

Yes, I did mean Grayhawk rather than Firehawk, because on Stewart's own website ( http://www.stewartfilm.com/engineering_specifications/firehawk.html ) they write: "Use FireHawk in business and church facilities when ambient light is present" And as you know ambient light is not a problem here.
    But after your repley I went back to their site and read the same about the Grayhawk in the downloadable pdf there. So now I'm completely confused: a Grayhawk is supposed to be more suited for rooms with some ambient light present, whilst they Firehawk with a higher gain (1.35) is too. Since the gain of the Firehawk and the Studiotek 130 (gain = 1.3) is almost the same, that sort of puts the Firehawk back in the picture too, next to the Studiotek.
    Great! So now I can't choose between three types of screen!
    The quality of Stewart screens may be good, but the quality of their information leaves a lot to be desired.
    Having said that, I still don't know what to do:

Would anyone be so kind as to shed some light on this issue for me? Could it be that the Stewart site contains mistakes (they
    are sort of contradicting themselves)?
    Any help will be appreciated as always,

Kax

4. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am using Marantz VP12S2 and having some problem about black level. I would like to have some advice too. My screen is white and the room is pretty dark.

Up to this point, Grayhawk can improve the black level but the colour will be worse, right ??

Sukasem

5. Kax

Kax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi csukasem,

There's white and there's white: the studiotek 130 from Stewart for example, has a coating that makes the light reflect less to the sides, hence bouncing more light to the viewer and less on the walls/ceiling (and back on the screen, which ruins the perceived contrast). At least that's the theory; I have yet to see it in practice (I ordered it yesterday). At the moment I'm using a simple bedsheet and with an extremely dark room it's not even that bad. However, as soon as a little bit of light comes into the room, the blacklevel goes down the drain.
    I agree with Simon40: " White screen for rooms where there is no stray light , grey screens for viewing where stray light can be a problem. That's the theory."
    So: when you say "pretty dark" it raises the question: how dark? In the case of an as good as completely dark room, I'd go for white. Otherwise go for grey, especially since you indicate that you have issues with your black level.
    One more thing:
    I don't know for how many hours you have been using your current lamp, but if it's near the end it can be well worth exchanging it for a new one: you'll be amazed at the difference in pq!
    HTH,

Kax

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    The Greyhawk RS is the equivalent of Studiotek130 in its colouromitry. All screens affect the perceved colour of the light reflected off them. The higher the gain the narrower the viewing cone.

Firehawk is essentially a HIGH gain screen on a grey backing. So it has a narrow viewing cone, greater colour shift across the screen and also a visisble textured surface.

GreyhawkRS was designed with Joe Kane to be a Grey screen with similar characteristics to StudioTEK 130. It has wider viewing cone than Firehawk and has minimal colour shift. If you have a light controlled room and a small screen with a bright projector it could be usefull. It sounds like you have a pretty well light controlled room and a large screen with an normal light output pj.

What colour are the walls and ceiling incidentally....

I'd think that perhaps 130 to start and if you need to cut down light on screen look at a ND filter....much easier to remove light output than to add it.....

Gordon

7. Kax

Kax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon for clearing that up,
    "Grey" and "high gain" in my mind were somewhat contradictory. Seems like I picked the right screen anyway, despite my limited grasp of this matter. :)

BTW: the walls are made of wood (medium brownish), and the ceiling is white, but it's a high and sloping ceiling. I intend to cover the first meter (approx. 3 ft.) of the ceiling, measured from the screen, with black carpet or velvet. The wall with the screen will get the same treatment. Any tips/experiences on what would be a good material are welcome.
    Thanks again,

Kax

8. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kax/Gordon,

Thanks. My room is so dark that with all lights off I cannot see anything. I and my sons had painted the room, including ceiling, in dark gray. So I should have put that my room was “black”.

My lamp life is approx. 800 hrs.

Just today I went to a most hi-end home theater shop and they showed Shakespeare In Love. The system consisted of Lexicon DVD player, DVDO scaler, FireHawk screen (with mask), and JVC D-ILA projector. I don’t believe that I judge that my system is better. Their system was set up badly. Lots of edges, very bad details, and the worst was black level which was a lot worse than my Marantz 12S2. Although their colors were quite rich but I think exaggerated, unrealistic. I also was annoyed by “visible textured surface” mentioned by Gordon. So I am now feeling so pleased.

I think that set up is very important. For my system, I don’t allow one cable to touch another. No cable touches floor/wall. I used electricity purifiers, plenty of tip-toes, ceramics,……. My system is giving stunning details. (I just changed my DVI cable from a standard one to Tributaries.)

Up to this point, I might not need to upgrade anything for a while (until 1080i/1080p hits market). But I will be keeping myself updated.

Anyway, I am using Denon 5900.

Thanks Kax. Thanks Gordon. Let’s keep chatting.

Sukasem

9. Kax

Kax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sukasem,

sounds to me you're happy with your system as it is. :thumbsup:
    At the moment I'm using my Marantz VP-12S4 with a Denon 2910 on HDMI (Oehlbach cable). Besides the Stewart screen I also ordered the Denon AVC-A1XV and for speakers I chose Naim's (Allae fronts, N-cent for center and N-sats for rear) and the B&W PV1 for a sub. Sadly I will have to wait a few weeks before I can start playing with these beauties and tell you about my experiences.
    Since I'm completely ignorant about electricity, and you obviously aren't: what would be your number one advice be in hooking all this equipment up?

I realise this is off-topic, so perhaps we should start a new thread.
    TTFN,

Kax

10. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kax,

I am pleased with my system since it’s comparatively “much” better than that(approx. 3 times more expensive than mine) in the hi-end shop I mentioned.

Electricity is very crucial since it is “FOOD” to your system. Line conditioner, isolator,…. can truly bring premium results to your system especially high potential system like yours.

It also depends on how much time you dedicate to your home theater. The more time you give the more practice will be for your eyes and ears. I have practiced very much for my eyes. I have to put all remote controls in a metal box. Mobile phones are not allowed in HT room. And believe it or not all the remote controls must point to the opposite direction of my AV components. Otherwise, my eyes can detect that the picture quality is degraded. Isolation of all your cables is also a must. And you should/must as well ………….

Not to get too carried away. I am using AC line conditioner/Isolation Filter that were produced in Thailand.

I believe that it would be an utmost fun to chat about setup which I think it plays vital role in making an inferior system better than the superior (without good setup) one. Setup can really make a superior system realize its full potential which creates “jaw dropping” effect.

I agree that we have been way off-topic. If you want to discuss much more on setup please suggest forum to put a new thread.

Sukasem

11. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Kax

Kax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sukasem,

sorry for replying a bit late, but I've been very busy. That Quantum site looks interesting and I have a lot of questions, but like we said earlier, we should move to another thread. Problem is, I can't seem to find any that seems to suit our subject. Definitely should be in "Other AV subjects", but from there it gets a bit fuzzy. Cables & Interconnects?
    Perhaps we should ask a mod to start a new forum. Never done that, though. Any idea how to go about it?

Kax

13. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0