Stewart 123HD videomatte question

Tsunamijhoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a 123" motorized stewart screen that says videomatte on the back model 123HD, and i have been using this screen with my trusty old Sim2 Seleco SVD-500+ CRT, but i am in the process of upgrading my cinema, and was thinking of buying a Sim2 Domino 60 or 80E, now my question is this, will my old stewart screen work fine with these new projectors, or is the best option to exchange for a dedicated HD screen? I will still be using analog laserdisc and dvd via DVDOO scaler so screen would have to still be able to show excellent analog picture.
Room is painted dark grey in a reflection dead paint.

Wow - proper vintage stuff eh? I cut my teeth on Seleco CRTs - real beasts! I remember the 500 well!

The problem you're going to have is not so much with resolution, but colour and gain. Stewart Videomatte fabric is a high gain coloured material, both properties not really suited to today's projectors.

If I were you, I'd get the pj and try it out, but I suspect you'll want to change it, and by the sound of your room and projector choice, for a matte white fabric with a gain of around 1.0.

Mark

Hehe, yes real vintage stuff, i have had setup for about 12 years now,and although it is not as bright as it used to be, the projector still gives awesome picture.

On the topic at hand, yes i was afraid i might have to change screen too.

Which of stewarts new screens is white matte suited for DLP? It has to be motorized and same size as my current, as you know,once you go big you never go back ;-)

....Which of stewarts new screens is white matte suited for DLP? It has to be motorized and same size as my current, as you know,once you go big you never go back ;-)

You'll be looking at either the Ultramatte or Studiotek range of materials. Studiotek is the reference material but is best suited to perfect viewing room conditions, maybe Studiotek 130 would be more appropriate. You'd be best off speaking to a dealer though. For that sort of outlay, you at least deserve a free coffee whilst they go through the options.

Give Screen Research a look in too. Their Clearpix fabric is just great - They give all the usual blurb - linear response, ISF certified etc, but bottom line is they are great screens, matte white with unity gain, very well built and their customer service is excellent. Distributed in the uk by Pulse Marketing,

Mark

Thanks for your input guys, however i am inclined to use Stewart as i have used them the last 12 years with excellent result..

Besides,i am in Denmark,so i don´t know if screen research can be bought here,let alone see it in action.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom