Steven Spielberg's - The BFG (1 July 2016)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Steven Spielberg is attached to direct the adaptation of Roald Dahl's book The BFG for DreamWorks. Though he drops out of a lot of projects.

Could be good, the old Cosgrove Hall produced cartoon version was excellent

Could be good, the old Cosgrove Hall produced cartoon version was excellent

agree, wonder if they could get david Jason to do the voice again

10-year-old newcomer Ruby Barnhill from Cheshire England cast in the lead role as Sophie, opposite Mark Rylance, who was previously cast as the Big Friendly Giant character.

Spielberg:
“I feel Roald Dahl himself would have found Ruby every bit as marvelous as we do. We have discovered a wonderful Sophie in Ruby Barnhill.”

Barnhill;
“I feel incredibly lucky and I’m so happy. Sophie gets to go on this wonderful adventure and I’m so excited that I get to play her.”

Production starts this month on the Steven Spielberg directed The BFG, as Walden Media (The Chronicles of Narnia films) have come on board to co-finance and co-produce alongside Dreamworks.

Disney will also co-produce and co-finance and distribute in US.

This would make it the first film Speilberg has directed for Disney in 40yrs.

Press Release with full cast;
As production gets underway in Vancouver, The Walt Disney Studios announced it will co-produce and co-finance Steven Spielberg’s “The BFG.” This marks the three-time Academy Award winner’s first time directing a Disney-branded movie.

Previously announced cast include three-time Tony Award winner Mark Rylance who will play the titular “Big Friendly Giant” and newcomer Ruby Barnhill as Sophie. They are now joined by Bill Hader, Jemaine Clement, Michael David Adamthwaite, Daniel Bacon, Chris Gibbs, Adam Godley, Jonathan Holmes, Paul Moniz de Sa and Olafur Olaffson, all cast as giants. Buckingham Palace has also found its residents with Penelope Wilton being cast as The Queen and Rebecca Hall as Mary, the Queen’s maid.

“In more than 40 years of making movies, I have been on the producing end of a number of films for The Walt Disney Company, but never as a director,” said Steven Spielberg. “It is a special joy to be in the director’s chair as we start ‘The BFG,’ alongside my long-time friends and film collaborators Kathy Kennedy, who introduced me to this project, Frank Marshall and Melissa Mathison. Together with them and Disney, there are many reasons why I am so excited about this joint venture.”

“With Steven Spielberg at the helm, ‘The BFG’ will undoubtedly capture the minds of children and adults alike – as Roald Dahl’s original stories and many of Steven’s own films have done for decades,” said Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. “The team at Disney has tremendous respect for the filmmakers, and we’re thrilled to join with them to make what will be a spectacular picture.”

“This partnership speaks to the spirit of storytelling and the kinds of movies that we make here,” said Michael Wright, CEO of DreamWorks Studios. “Over the years, we have enjoyed a fruitful collaboration, and we couldn’t be more excited to be working with Disney in this expanded capacity on ‘The BFG.’”

“The BFG” is the exciting tale of a young London girl and the mysterious Giant who introduces her to the wonders and perils of Giant Country. Based on the beloved novel by Roald Dahl, “The BFG” (Big Friendly Giant) was published in 1982 and has been enchanting readers of all ages ever since. Dahl’s books, which also include “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “James and the Giant Peach,” “Matilda” and “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” are currently available in 58 languages and have sold over 200 million copies worldwide.

Steven Spielberg will direct the film adaptation based on a script by Melissa Mathison, who last teamed with Spielberg on “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.” Spielberg, Frank Marshall and Sam Mercer will produce while Kathleen Kennedy, John Madden, Michael Siegel and Kristie Macosko Krieger are on board as executive producers. Adam Somner is a co-producer. The Disney/Amblin/Reliance production in association with Walden Media will open in U.S. theaters on July 1, 2016, the year that coincides with the 100thanniversary of Roald Dahl’s birth. The Walt Disney Studios is distributing the film in the U.S. and several international territories while Mister Smith Entertainment will oversee distribution in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Reliance will distribute the film in India.

Disney and Walden Media previously produced “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe,” “The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian,” and “Bridge to Terabithia” together.

Last edited:
There's a rumour going round Spielberg is trying to pull Gene Wilder out of retirement to voice The BFG.
At this stage though, it's unknown what Spielberg is courting the actor for, because as always the prolific director has many projects on the go.

There's a rumour going round Spielberg is trying to pull Gene Wilder out of retirement to voice The BFG.
At this stage though, it's unknown what Spielberg is courting the actor for, because as always the prolific director has many projects on the go.

AICN thinks he would be perfect for the role of James Halliday in Ready Player One

AICN thinks he would be perfect for the role of James Halliday in Ready Player One
Yeah was going to post in that thread to, but I couldn't be bothered ! With Wilders connections to other Roald Dahl adaptations I think he'll more likely end up in this.

Colour me interested

Recently read this to my five year old eldest and she's given the teaser "thirteen out of ten". I assume that means she likes it - and I have to arrange a meeting with her teacher :)

This looks great, cant wait to take the kids!

Why spoil it with a reveal of him, trailers these days spoil films imho

Cant say i've had a film spoilt, that i really enjoyed by first seeing a character reveal in a trailer or poster; king kong 1933, jaws, ET, INDY, ghostbusters, Superman, etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom