raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
The Spider-Man, Doctor Strange co creator has passed at 90

Steve Ditko, Spider-Man Co-Creator and Legendary Comics Artist, Dies at 90

IMG_0334.JPG

RIP

Last edited:
Ah it was Steve's Spider-Man 4 that got me into Marvel comics when the second hand bookshop did not have any DC I not read or fancied and although his artwork was a bit funny compared to DC's I sort of hit a gold mine and made me a Marvel fan.
Well I say above compared to DC he did the artwork and some of the plots for The Creeper which I also liked and a bit like Spider-Man a hero but wanted by the police.
If you ever read a comic with Steve's artwork you never need to look at the credits again for artwork he was very distinctive. An easy thing to spot was he tended to do male heads with flat tops.

R.I.P. Steve and a big thanks.:thumbsup:

portrait_incredible.jpg

Doctor Strange another of his co-creations.
Doctor-Strange-by-Steve-Ditko.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the very early 70s, a friend of mine told me stop reading the UK comics (Beano, Dandy etc) and read the American stuff. I picked up some Batman and Superman, but they seemed somewhat surreal and didn't do anything for me. Then in September '72 The Mighty World of Marvel came out and those stories hooked me from the start. Ditko and Kirby's artwork made the stories a feast for the eyes and Spider-Man was my favourite by far.

Lee/Kirby/Ditko made my childhood a wonderful place to live and even today I still enjoy reading the books they produced.

Thank goodness Stan took the book from Jack and gave it to Steve or we would never have had the Spider-Man or Peter Parker I grew up with.

Back in the very early 70s, a friend of mine told me stop reading the UK comics (Beano, Dandy etc) and read the American stuff. I picked up some Batman and Superman, but they seemed somewhat surreal and didn't do anything for me. Then in September '72 The Mighty World of Marvel came out and those stories hooked me from the start. Ditko and Kirby's artwork made the stories a feast for the eyes and Spider-Man was my favourite by far.

Lee/Kirby/Ditko made my childhood a wonderful place to live and even today I still enjoy reading the books they produced.

Thank goodness Stan took the book from Jack and gave it to Steve or we would never have had the Spider-Man or Peter Parker I grew up with.
Marvel changed what had gone before DC never really did fully fleshed character and more or less you could pick any up in any order and it really would not matter although they sometimes did a * in the chat and at the bottom of the picture would refer to an other issue and extremely rare did a 2 part story. Marvel especially with Spider-Man did fully fleshed characters there non hero parts in the comics was almost as important as the hero part and continued over from issue to issue.

Exactly. Stan wanted the characters to be more real and set in real places, like New York City (though I think the first issue of one title did mention Central City or something). With them being more like real people with real situations it was easier for the readers to relate to them. As the readers got older, so the story lines seemed to mature too.

The only DC stuff I bought in the 70s was Kirby's 4th world stuff, and that was for his art - I didn't think much of the stories or dialogue. I didn't see any Ditko stuff so didn't buy any of his non Marvel work, though in later years I did buy some compilation books. It's a real shame he was so private as he had a huge fanbase that adored him. His office was right behind Ellens Stardust Diner where I ate a few times when I visited NYC. I doubt he would have heard me knock at his door as he was said to be very hard of hearing in later years. Not surprising for a man his age.

I cant remeber reading much stuff of DC after I found Marvel although some of the stuff was still fluff like DC were they had two stories in on comic like Iron Man and Captain America in Tales of Suspense, Ant Man/Giant Man and Hulk in Tales to Astonish, Doctor Strange and SHIELD in Strange Tales. The issues with one hero or group of heroes did proges there characters.
Spider-Man was the big one though trouble with Flash Thompson, and JJ Jameson girl trouble with Liz and Betty. Sick Aunt May at home on top of trying to fit being a hero in.
If you read those early issues it will take you about 4-5 times as long as the modern comics which a lot of style and lesser substance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom