Stes of three images for competition: Comments?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,097
    Ou club has a competition where you can enter three images on your own theme (or that are linked in some way).

I'm taking a day off work today to ry to print out a few sets of three for entry. Here are my first attempts. Interested in which three images you think sitbest together. The idea is not just that they are all manequins but also that they look like they have feelings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'd go with #1, #2 & #3

3. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,227
    I'd pick 1, 3 and 4.

I think you need to do a little work on the first. I'm assuming you've cloned some of the background near her hair on the left. It's blurred out a bit, and doesn't seem to have the same texture as the rest of the image. Try using the 'Add Noise' filter locally to help blend it in.

Also, if I was presenting them as a set, I'd try and get all 3 with the same crop proportions. I think it would tie them together a little better.

Really like No. 3 though - has a great feeling to it. :thumbsup:

4. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    if it's any help "Gordon" I couldn't decide between #2 and #4, #1 & #3 were always the keepers.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,097
    One and Three were the keepers for me as well. I stopped in Central London yesterday on way to clients to try to get another one to make the set. Wandering around Soho taking pictures of dummies in windows does get you some weird looks...hahaha...problem was the reflections in the glass were really bad and even with the polariser I couldn't get rid of all of them. I have a few others to process that I might consider too.

2 and 4 are from soho....

6. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Hi ya

1 and 3 like others have said. Out of the other two I would go for 2, just think its got more feel to it. 4 doesn't do it for me at all.

Just my 2 pence.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

7. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I'd go with 1,3 & 4.
    I find the red stuff in #2 a bit distracting.

I think I might try to lay them out as a triptych with #3 in the centre cropped as you've done and with #1 & #4 either side both cropped to identical (squarish) aspect ratios but the same height as the 'centrepiece'. Possibly(?) I'd experiment with flipping either #1 or #4 and maybe slightly desaturating #4 as the red of the lips could draw the eye a bit more than you might want.
    But I've never tried to do anything like this myself so I could be way off the mark...

8. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I'd drop #2 and go with the other 3. Will the judge get that they have feelings? Depends on how you title the trio I guess.

I've just done 2 lots of 3 for my entry tomorrow. Both sets are rather strange in that they are not all of the same sort of thing (e.g. mannequins), so I'm looking forward to seeing what the judge makes of them.

9. peskywinnets

peskywinnets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    1 & 3 for me.

I have the inflatable version of No4 underneath my bed.

10. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I am going to go against the grain somewhat here. I would keep #1 #2 and #4 for the competiton. The reason that i say that is that they are all of a similar style and #3, despite being possibly the nicest there, doesn't sit right when set with the others. I's a pity that you didn't have a shot of a male manequin to complete 'the family' so to speak.

11. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,856
    1, 2 and 4 for me as well to make a themed set.

All excellent photos Gordon, especially taken though glass in a busy street:smashin:

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,097
    Like this Steve:
    [​IMG]

If I'm going to add it then I need to know everyones thoughts asap...

Here is the other set of three
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    As far as the menequins go Gordon I would add the male one in and lose the last of the first set. The it could be titled 'The Nuclear Family' or something similar. Those three fit well for me, similar dark backgrounds etc.

For the Lambo shots, from your Flickr I would go for "Seat Detail", "Button" and "Lambo". All of these concentrate on the detail as opposed to 1 and 3 of the shots above. I think that that approach would do better.

Only my opinion of course, but panels usually means 'details' to me :smashin:

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,097
    Well I think I've out of time now anyway.

My own thoughts were to try to get three different styles of image on the same topic. I had thought about the detail pics. Of course there are then issues with what looks good on the web and what looks good printed out...

15. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Indeed, good luck with it tonight (and Mr Tobers and Mr Kinchy if they are entering) let us know how you get on!

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,097
    Well Steve it appears your superior knowledge of club comps has shone through.....

I misunderstood the whole panel thing I think. I wasn't sure whether they would show all three at the same time, side by side. I also didn't realise they wanted three similar images. All our previous comps have been single images viewed in a light box....not this time though.

End result was that they thought each image was great but that the dummy ones didn't sit well together. Part of the problem was the eye image being mounted on white and the others on black....and the fact that one was hi-key and others were not etc....

On the car front same thing...as a reportage series the judge thought it good...but as three images sitting beside each other on same theme he didn't feel it worked.

I'm not too gutted this time though as couple of the clubs better members commented that they really liked the pictures. The work I did for the dummy images has inspired me to do a little self published book with a narative about each one....and I've learned what they mean by a panel of three on a subject....

I'll let Tobers fill you in on how he fared...

MPritch and Kinchy were no shows tonight

17. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    My only experience of panel submission has been seeing one club comp that I didn't enter but I got the jist of what was the general idea. It's very difficult to know what to do when you don't know the parameters or what the judge will be looking for.

I have one coming up and I have thought about taking a set of images especially for it but I have struggled to be honest. We have to submit four images and it's also important how they are displayed, they have to 'flow' and if they tell a story it helps I believe.

I have had the following shots printed and will be mounting them on black, how they will do I have no idea but it will be titled 'Abandoned House'

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My thought on this is that you walk down a corridor, look into a room, walk down another corridor and then see the writing on the wall. I think it flows that way but i'm not sure about the general quality of each shot. I may even swap #3 into position #1 and #1 into #4 and #4 into #3.......dunno yet, i'll see what they look like when mounted.

I am also planning to enter this set into Midphot which is the Midlands County Photographic Federation annual exhibition, this along with some of my prints. It's only 75p per entry so may as well go for it, it's the first step toward a PAGB recognition if I get some accepted :clap:

18. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Well, I fared a tad better than Gordon, but there is still much room for improvement.

I entered 2 sets of 3 pics. Both sets were mounted on the same colour & size mounts to take A4 prints. This seems to be a major point to achieve consistency across each set.

The first was a set of motion blurs of planes, trains & automobiles and this was "put aside" i.e. considered good enough for another look.

The second set was a sequence of peoples hands taken at the foot & mouth outbreak last year - one a policeman taping off the area, one a reporter calling the story in and one a lady being interviewed live on TV. No faces, just hands doing things. I liked this set but the judge didn't and it went striaght into the pile (with Gordon's :D).

When the second look came around for the 15 or so sets that had been put aside, my motion blurs lasted longer than I thought , but didn't make the final cut of 6 sets.

Having now seen what the better sets looked like, I know what I need to do. Firstly, print A3 not A4. Secondly, get a set of pics that flow together from a shapes, colours and form perspective. The best set was 3 shots, each showing a leaf frozen in a puddle/pond, lovely colour, texture & flow on each one, and clearly taken to be part of a set. Another excellent set was a close up and slight motion blur of water in a fountain at night with coloured lights - looked pretty abstract from a distance - just colours & streaks, but excellent.

In my lounge I actually have 3 frames in a line with my pics in and I now know that I can do much better than the 3 I have up there, so it was a really good learning exercise and I am once again inspired to go out and take pics :smashin:

Oh, and the judge showed his inexperience a bit, being too enthusiastic for the "put aside" pile to begin with and then having to be much harsher later on as he realised he had too many put aside, resulting in some inconsistency.

Tobers

19. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Mine are all 12x8 photographs on 20x16 mounts. I assume you are saying that you will print A3 to keep less mount in the presentation and more image? If that is the case i might reduce my mount sizes a touch.

20. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Interesting stuff guys. I always enjoy reading through things like this. :thumbsup:
    Good luck Steve - those images work well. It will be interesting to see if they like the fact that it's 2 sets of 2 or not. The blues and creams work really nicely on #2 and #4. Maybe if they'd all had a touch of cream, they would sit nicer as a 4, but what do I know :)

21. netronelson

netronelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    By the way, the first Lambo shot - Wow!

22. mpritch

mpritch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yup - sorry guys (Gordon and Tobers) - couldn't get to the club as I've too much work on at the moment (back to work in a few minutes) - no time whatsoever to get behind the camera let alone enter this weeks comp. Sounds like you did well as it's the first comp of it's kind this season. You'll have to let me in on some tips and show me the prints next week.

Mark.

p.s. I'm under pressure now :eek: to nail my set subject photo this weekend as the deadline for the AVforums and the local club comp (the elements) is next week.