1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sterio SACD worth it?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by JUS, Jul 21, 2003.

1. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I'm a big fan of multichannel music and I'm keen to replace my CD's with multichannel discs.

I've had a trawl through dvd4music.com, which seems to have the most titles. I'll probably get Dark Side of the Moon on multi channel but all the other suff I looked at was SACD sterio. What's everyone's opinion on SACD Sterio discs? Are they really worth it? My system is OK but not High end by any stretch of the imagination so I'm really not sure if I'm going to benefit from buying these sterio fellas.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JUS - if you can afford it, replace the discs!

Stereo SACD is a HUGE improvement over CD. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I'd heard it but when I did - wow. It was - quite simply - incredibly realistic, and far more convincing than CD. Enthusiasts will complain about lacking of Rhythmic drive & timing from the Hardware - but for me that's so easy to overlook in favour of what is the most convincing of the two 'future format' music transports.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I bought most of peter Gabriels back catalogue on sacd and wasn't diapointed clearly an improvement over my std cd copies.
    The few titles I have are all better than the original but so they should for the price your having to pay (again). Thankfully I feel that this format is justified and do not think it's a novelty or a shrewd way of us all to purchase copies of our fav albums (yet again). Hope fully more new releases will be available on sacd/cd hybrid so we can enjoy the higher resolution format given that you have the required hardware or alternatively make do with normal cd playback if a sacd player isn't available.

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Cheers guys....looks like I'm ganna have to spend some more money :(

It's difficult finding stuff I want to buy..I'm going to have to force myself to get into Aerosmith and the Rollingstones.

I bought the Police hits DTS CD a year or two ago. That was superb.
    Jus.

5. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Why not just wait until there are titles you actually like rather than jumping on the bandwagon now?

I've got SACD capabilities and as most of the old titles are analogue in original you don't benefit much.

You need titles to be natively recorded in DSD before SACD really starts to sing.