Stereotype dog

Synax_Injector

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Probably a bit of a rant, but...I own a bullmastiff puppy who's about five months old now and he's the most gentle laid back puppy you could wish for. Far more so than my lab was!
He's brilliant with my three year old, very tolerant and if he hurts her by accident he'll lay by her side knowing what's happened.

But why is it, old ladies assume the bigger the dog the more vicious or aggressive? I walked past some middle aged ladies earlier and without trying to cover up what they were saying or even wait one said "I hate them types of dogs, staffs are nasty vicious little things he should muzzle him".
I kindly turned round and replied "I don't like what your wearing or your hair style but I don't comment on you, maybe you should be muzzled".
I just walked of and didn't wait.for a.reply as I was in the town centre and had my little girl...who was holding the lead with me so yea shows how violent he.is! Heh and the fact she got the breed completely wrong shows her ignorance.

Then after a day down town, trip to Asda and a walk along the beach we.got about 30seconds away from home, outside tesco...I live in the town centre. This elderly lady asks if he's gentle and I said what I've said a million times the last three months...yes he's.lovely, very gentle and loves.kids. So sue brung her jack Russel over who would not stop jumping up at my little girl. I don't care what size it is...tell the dog of! Discipline him, just because he's small doesn't mean it's.okay for him to jump and put dirty paws over.people.

Then what came shocked me!! The rat of a dog lunged for mine biting his ear and holding on...all sorts of knawling noises coming from him...my puppy just shook his head to get him off...yelping in fear and pain, after a successful kick to her.dogs ribs he.let go...I done it in desperation as this went on for about five seconds and my dog was terrified and being attacked...
She then said, sorry he's a bit naughty sometimes...I said you what! Why are you in a.public.town centre with a dog that attacks other dogs.and maybe humans??? Muzzle it and take it somewhere quiet not outside tesco...in town...on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon wtf!
My dog then laid there and just covered his eyes with his paws lol bless him!
He's fine, small cut.to the ear but could have been worse.

Why is it elderly women buy these stupid little.dogs...get a cat! Or a.large hamster, I saw loads of staffs today...all lovely dogs..yet they have that reputation of being nasty....well I know of three.dog attacks on my lab, bullmastiff and a mates golden retriever and all from small yappy dogs.

Winds me up too mate we have a Staff soft as a brush has no interest in other dogs just his toy and us

I have watched people cross the road and he has been attacked twice not once has he retaliated arghh

I'm not a dog person but have seen plenty pictures of well brought up staffies with big soppy grins on them.
A friend years ago had a rottweiler (over 10 stone!) and you knew when he liked you because he sat on your feet so you couldn't get away!
Also many of these toy dogs aren't allowed to be dogs, no wonder they are maladjusted.

Why is it elderly women buy these stupid little.dogs...

I agree with everything else in your post as I love big dogs & bull breeds in particular, but surely this is the same stereotyping you site in the title?
I think it's more down to the owner being unable to control their dog & this often happens to be older ladies. I would assume they take on smaller dogs as they physically can't control anything larger. Unfortunately they can't exert any control over the smaller dogs either.

I'm probably stereotyping here too:D but it's been my experience.

They aren't allowed to be dogs, they are turned into some kind of fashion accessory. :mad:

I must admit that I had a pre-conceived notion about staffies, until my friend got one. It one of the soppiest dogs I've ever met.

Up the road from me and a neighbour has 3 Jack Russells. If you walk past the gate they come charging out, nipping and biting. Give me a staffie any day,

I get the same with my huskies, annoys me really as I've had one of mine attacked by a jack Russell. (Not bad thankfully)

Beat me to it.

I make no apologies for this but I would have be physically restrained and handcuffed to stop repeatedly knocking 10 bells out of anyone who kicked my dog.

My JRT/Beagle cross is very well behaved and wouldn't act like the JRT in the OP's example, for clarity.

Which goes to show it is usually the owner that is the problem.

I have my sons staffie in the garden, and she runs indoors every time next doors king Charles spaniel barks :laugh:

Large breed are hardly ever aggressive, unless trained to be, it's very rare to find one naturally aggressive. Mastif's, Rotties, Dobermans, GSD, Husky etc etc are generally pretty calm and relaxed. Of course they will generally protect and serve their family/pack which they rightly should. Small/terrier breeds need a firm hand from puppyhood, yorkies, jack russells shi tzu etc etc often suffer from 'little dog syndrome' if the owners let them yap and snap at other dog and people from an early age, thinking oh he's only tiny he doesn't mean any harm then they grow up like the nasty little radged dogs you see every day. Ask a postman which garden he would rather enter, a Mastif loose or Jack Russell and 99% would choose the Mastif.

I feel some dog lovers need to understand it's the Potential Threat these animals pose. Not how you think your dog acts. Any living creature, (esp humans) can turn for some reason or provocation and when or if this happens then we have to consider what the outcome could be.
Sure there are nasty little snappy dogs, but odd are they are probably not going to cause you serious physical injury. Humans, also being animals can fight back to a degree and human vs small dog, there is a chance.
If a LARGE powerful dog, or any animal attacks you, then there is far more chance the you could be very badly hurt.
Like it or not, this has to be taken into account when any animal is going to be in public.

Put is this way. Say I made a robot pet, steel and rubber construction, weighed the same as an adult male human, could run faster than a human and had a powerful jaw and steel teeth that could crush bone.
They are programmed very well, but now and again a bug hits, and it goes off, and attacks someone, kills the odd child, mains the odd adult.

Are you going to be happy that these robotic animals are out in public, as "most" of them are probably safe and may not be prone to this bug. But as a passer by, you don't know which one is safe and which one is perhaps about to turn.

I don't think they would be allowed in public, do you?

If I was being attacked by a dog, or a member of my family was being attacked by a dog, in defense I would use ANY means to stop it.

Personally I don't think any humans should have to be in a public place and "on Guard for their or their families safety" due to the unknown personality of any animal owned by any other human in the area.

If that means banning all powerful dogs from being owned by the general public then so be it.
Very very few members of the general public need to own a dog in the 1st place. Certainly not a large powerful one.

"but I like big dogs" is no reason to justify even one person getting harmed by someone elses animal.

I don't have anything against dogs per se, or any animal. I love animals (will even rescue a ant/spider anything) but people and children having to be on guard, and being badly physically injured by someone elses pet is just not acceptable.

Sorry.

I feel some dog lovers need to understand it's the Potential Threat these animals pose. Not how you think your dog acts. Any living creature, (esp humans) can turn for some reason or provocation and when or if this happens then we have to consider what the outcome could be.
Sure there are nasty little snappy dogs, but odd are they are probably not going to cause you serious physical injury. Humans, also being animals can fight back to a degree and human vs small dog, there is a chance.
If a LARGE powerful dog, or any animal attacks you, then there is far more chance the you could be very badly hurt.
Like it or not, this has to be taken into account when any animal is going to be in public.

Put is this way. Say I made a robot pet, steel and rubber construction, weighed the same as an adult male human, could run faster than a human and had a powerful jaw and steel teeth that could crush bone.
They are programmed very well, but now and again a bug hits, and it goes off, and attacks someone, kills the odd child, mains the odd adult.

Are you going to be happy that these robotic animals are out in public, as "most" of them are probably safe and may not be prone to this bug. But as a passer by, you don't know which one is safe and which one is perhaps about to turn.

I don't think they would be allowed in public, do you?

If I was being attacked by a dog, or a member of my family was being attacked by a dog, in defense I would use ANY means to stop it.

Personally I don't think any humans should have to be in a public place and "on Guard for their or their families safety" due to the unknown personality of any animal owned by any other human in the area.

If that means banning all powerful dogs from being owned by the general public then so be it.
Very very few members of the general public need to own a dog in the 1st place. Certainly not a large powerful one.

"but I like big dogs" is no reason to justify even one person getting harmed by someone elses animal.

I don't have anything against dogs per se, or any animal. I love animals (will even rescue a ant/spider anything) but people and children having to be on guard, and being badly physically injured by someone elses pet is just not acceptable.

Sorry.

No need to apologise, it's your view and we are all entitled to one. It's been a human right to own a pet for hundreds of years, people getting paranoid and scared of everything that could ever possibly happen is no reason for anything to change.

Only this morning had a woman scaring her kids with her irrational fear.
We walked past her house with the dog, and she, behind her wall screamed, grabbed the kids and ran indoors :facepalm:

Only this morning had a woman scaring her kids with her irrational fear.
We walked past her house with the dog, and she, behind her wall screamed, grabbed the kids and ran indoors :facepalm:

I cannot agree with your flippant view of her actions which were done in order to protect her children, THE most important things in her life from a "potential" threat from an unknown animal.

Say you were not you, but you were an irresponsible dog owner, and your dog was liable and prone to run and attack.

If you and our dog were like that, and you will have to admit, she has no way of knowing you and your dog are not. Would she then of been right to of quickly got her children indoors and away from the potential danger until you had passed?

That "IS" part of the problem.

Owners are sometimes surprised by their dogs out of character actions "Oh god, well our boy Roofus has never attacked anyone before. so out of character for him, really he's usually so gentle, I don't know why he went for you like that"

So how is a stranger supposed to "just know" you and your dog are harmless?

She did the right thing at the time to protect her children.

I was on the footpath and she was in her front garden behind a fairly large wall.
Unless I took the dog off the lead and threw it over her wall, she was pretty safe :D

I'm wondering if OP lives in Sunderland. I saw one shaking a little Terrier around like a rag a few weeks ago on the beach :)

I was on the footpath and she was in her front garden behind a fairly large wall.
Unless I took the dog off the lead and threw it over her wall, she was pretty safe :D

Ok, well fair enough, based upon that, it does sound a little over reaction, but you must take my main point.

Even myself, a while ago, on a common, felt uneasy when some people (I could call them idiots, but that's harsh) who seemed to feel like they needed to own 4 LARGE dogs, all tugging at the leads, let them off the leads to run. I did not know if they were soft puppy mentality, or something I had to get ready for the unknown.

I don't know if that gun you are carrying is a plastic toy, a empty metal replica, or a real loaded one owned by an idiot.
Should I have to worry about it at all or should people simply not be allowed to carry anything that looks like a gun so no one else has that worry?

I do not buy the "well people have always had dogs argument"

There are lots of things people used to do that are not deemed unsafe or wrong in todays world.

A large hunting dog, bred years ago to swim and retrieve birds shot by the groundsman to feed the manor house, perhaps was never intended to live, with 2 more dogs in a council flat in peckam and have 1 walk a day around the estate.

I do take your point, and agree that dogs shouldn't be running wild off the lead.
But seeing someone in their garden reacting that way was a bit extreme. Her kids are probably going to be more scared of dogs than she is :(

No, people over reacting like that creates risks that don't exist in reality.
They often turn their children into victims.

I do take your point, and agree that dogs shouldn't be running wild off the lead.
But seeing someone in their garden reacting that way was a bit extreme. Her kids are probably going to be more scared of dogs than she is :(

That's exactly how we have ended up with a society of pussies that are scared of everything and prefer to live life in a disinfected bubble. Some call it progress, I call it embarrassing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom